Seeing as though 2020 has it out for everyone, I'm looking into battery backups & generators... Need your help!!

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I live in SoCal and we're susceptible to power outages in the summertime. I looked into getting solar, but it won't work where we live, so I'm looking into battery backups along with a generator. Also, side note: We live in a condo.

Here's what I'm definitely wanting to run in case there's a blackout:
  • Various-8 Return Pump
  • Profilux P4
  • Profilux KH Director
  • Profilux Doser 2.1 (3X)
I'd like to run these if I can, but they're not necessary:
  • MP40 (2X)
  • Skimz SM167 Skimmer : Do you think that this is necessary?
So, if you were me, what backup batteries would you be considering (size) and what generators?

Here's what I was looking at:

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I live in SoCal and we're susceptible to power outages in the summertime. I looked into getting solar, but it won't work where we live, so I'm looking into battery backups along with a generator.

• Various-8 Return Pump
  • Profilux P4
  • Profilux KH Director
  • MP40 (2X)
So, if you were me, what backup batteries would you be considering (size) and what generators?

Before selecting a battery backup, you first need to determine the exact equipment list of items to support. Then go to the manufacturer websites and look up how many watts each item pulls. Total everything up and that is your demand.

Also keep in mind that there are certain items that are not on all the time (think lights and heater). So the demand on the battery will vary.

Remember, it is an emergency backup of power. So, you don't need to run everything.

I would be concerned with running two things during a power outage:

1. Circulation pump for continued water filtration and some flow.

2. Protein skimmer for oxygenation.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generac full house generator if you have natural gas running to the house.
auto start up 15 seconds after the power goes out. auto shutoff when the power comes back on.

I should have probably mentioned we live in a condo. Gonna check it out though, because we may be able to have it installed on the roof. Thanks!

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before selecting a battery backup, you first need to determine the exact equipment list of items to support. Then go to the manufacturer websites and look up how many watts each item pulls. Total everything up and that is your demand.

Also keep in mind that there are certain items that are not on all the time (think lights and heater). So the demand on the battery will vary.

Remember, it is an emergency backup of power. So, you don't need to run everything.

I would be concerned with running two things during a power outage:

1. Circulation pump for continued water filtration and some flow.

2. Protein skimmer for oxygenation.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm actually not worried about the lighting because we have a lot of ambient light. Thanks for the tips.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this inverter/generator for our whole house 'basics'. 4000w. will power everything we need it to (fridge, deep freeze, tanks, tv/internet/chargers, etc. was around $500 when I bought it. inverter protects sensitive electronics better than standard generators. HOWEVER, it is advertised as quiet, which it is not. sounds like a lawnmower running... I'm sure I'll need to share power to keep neighbors happy with the noise when I gotta use it. and its CARB compliant, which its gotta be to use in California.

Link

Last edited:
OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this inverter/generator for our whole house 'basics'. 4000w. will power everything we need it to (fridge, deep freeze, tanks, tv/internet/chargers, etc. was around $500 when I bought it. inverter protects sensitive electronics better than standard generators. HOWEVER, it is advertised as quiet, which it is not. sounds like a lawnmower running... I'm sure I'll need to share power to keep neighbors happy with the noise when I gotta use it. and its CARB compliant, which its gotta be to use in California.

Link

Looks like they don't sell that one anymore, but they do have a 2000w version. Maybe I'll get two of those. Thanks for the info. I'll keep doing some research.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Profilux gear on one APC back ups. Keeps all Probes reading And tells me when power goes down. But you have to have your entire home network on a battery back up too.
MP40 on a Ecotech Battery back up. Provides flow during outage
A basic 2000-2200 watt portable gas generator for longer outages.

This is basically what I have.

3dogsandreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same situation. Perfect world I would like to run a generator with a transfer switch so when the power goes out the generator automatically kicks in. Looked into it and it seems like the cost is a lot.
Other option is solar with battery backup. Anyone run solar with battery backup?

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 'for short term outages or until I can get home" to start the generator is these. come on automatically when power goes out, turn off when power back on. one per tank/sump up to about 30ish gallons. runs for well over 40hrs with fresh batterys. I just used black air line/stone and hid in my rockwork

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I live in SoCal and we're susceptible to power outages in the summertime. I looked into getting solar, but it won't work where we live, so I'm looking into battery backups along with a generator. Also, side note: We live in a condo.

• Various-8 Return Pump
  • Profilux P4
  • Profilux KH Director
  • MP40 (2X)

I'd say you need a real generator battery back upa won't do much when we are talking 2-7 days of pge shutting power off I had a couple those small battery air pumps and bought a generator also live in CA had our power shut off even though we are 100 of miles away from any fire danger we also have a power plant up here right on the ocean they where talking about not cutting us off next time but we will see

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you need a real generator battery back upa won't do much when we are talking 2-7 days of pge shutting power off I had a couple those small battery air pumps and bought a generator also live in CA had our power shut off even though we are 100 of miles away from any fire danger we also have a power plant up here right on the ocean they where talking about not cutting us off next time but we will see

Good news is we don’t have PGE. SoCal Edison has never shut off for more than half a day (Knock on wood). Thanks for the tip!

Good luck with everything this summer. You guys have been through enough!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get to wrapped up with one particular brand Generator or another. There are many brands and some are good and some not so good. You get what you pay for. Since you are in a condo talk to your building super or maintenance folks and see if you are allowed to use one.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that you are going to be using it a lot, then get a good generator... something with a Honda engine or otherwise rated for continuous duty for commercial of off-grid use. These are not cheap, but a harbor freight generator is a light duty and work perfectly fine with short duty cycles and for short periods of time.

If for just a few hours a few times a year, then nearly any generator is ok.

Your tank can go hours without needing power - the battery air pump will extend this. If you will be around, then skip the batteries and just get a good generator.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, as far as generators go, here are a few tips. 1: Purchase a more powerful unit than you think you'll need. 2: Look for reliability & efficient fuel use. 3: Don't worry too much about db level. 4: Have plenty of fuel cans (& even a siphon hose )
Now here are the reasons for those tips.
1: If you're going to invest cash to keep a Reef tank going in an outage, then you might as well keep your fridge (maybe even a neighbors too ) running & possibly a window A/C, TV etc, etc
2:Speaks for itself
3: When your neighbors know you are willing to keep their fridge running, they won't complain about the db level
4:You;ll use more fuel than expected.
We went 17 days no power after Hurricane Wilma & managed to keep Reef tank alive & also provide a power source to both our neighbors. The plus side was, our neighbors were as eager to go get gas, as we were. HTH

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this baby, arriving tomorrow or next week:

I bought it during the Florida hurricane tax free event, It will be able to run my whole house except the A/C. I can also plug my neighbor fridge as @DogsRule stated. This hurricane season look like will be interesting and I had already 2 storms that knocked out the power for a few minutes, so with my new tank I don't want to play games.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this baby, arriving tomorrow or next week:

I bought it during the Florida hurricane tax free event, It will be able to run my whole house except the A/C. I can also plug my neighbor fridge as @DogsRule stated. This hurricane season look like will be interesting and I had already 2 storms that knocked out the power for a few minutes, so with my new tank I don't want to play games.
pulsar is pretty decent i ran mine pretty much solid for 3 days other than turning it off to change the oil

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 power outages in the two years that lasted over 12 hours, not in a hurricane or tornado area, on my 4 power outage, I bought a Champion generator it is a 2000 watt model, right about 400 bucks. Do you have a patio are or balcony at your condo complex? I really doubt that your association is going to allow a heavy generator on the roof.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back