View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ciliate begins to erode from the bottom,Resulting in continuous STN。
A lot of SPS frags have been lost。
I've tried “coral RX” and iodine solution to soak,But there is no effect。
What is the treatment?
Can you help me with what you have to treat it? Thank you all!:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following are the pictures under the microscope

微信图片_20171226173631.jpg 微信图片_20171226173619.jpg 微信图片_20171226173627.jpg 微信图片_20171226173624.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried “coral RX” and iodine solution to invade,But there is no effect。
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

微信图片_20171226173631.jpg 微信图片_20171226173619.jpg 微信图片_20171226173627.jpg 微信图片_20171226173624.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals dieing and a dips more than likely just gonna kill it faster. I don't want to assume anything so you need to share more information on your tank. Age, paramaters, LR or dry rock? I've had STN for a number of reason the 2 main ones that cause bleaching or necrosis is "new corals not acclimating properly", sudden alk/nutrient change.

My general rule is give it a day and if its getting worst then cut the top half of the frag into as many reasonable size pieces as you can, glue them to frag plugs or rubble and put them behind the rockwork where their is minimal lighting and different spots. I've saved over 5 frags that where bleaching or RTN/STN and I thought had no shot.. Also, this will help you down the road to understand better placement.. For example, I had a bleaching montipora cap, I threw 3 pieces in the back and 1 loan survivor I was positive was going to die is now growing fast. Also, have a few acroporas that are doing the same thing. Though chance of survival are slim to none if you don't find out what is causing the issue to begin with. This is why doing multiple 25% waterchanges usually is the best bet to stop the problem. Now I alway follow strict light acclimation and have learned just how prone SPS can be to dips, lighting, and everything in between so patients is key!
Also, remember dont get discouraged it happens to us all!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not sure what those black dots are. I hope its not some kind of pest!!!
Maybe someone can chime in?
thank you!
my tank:
ph:8.0-8.2
ALK:7.7-8.4
CA:420-450
MG:1250-1350
k:360-390
no3:0-0.2
po4:0
400w hqi 12000k reeflux

The problem is mainly caused by insect pests,All other sps that are not infected with this insect are normal。
The black spots in the picture are infected insect pests,Under the microscope, it is similar to the structure of the tube bug, but his size is small.
I don't know what drugs can kill this insect pest
The coral of any property is infected with the insect, Acropora,Montipora,Seriatopora hystrix,Stylophora is no exception.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried “coral RX” and iodine solution to soak,But there is no effect。
What is the treatment?

Have you tried Bayer dip?

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's bug related, use this:
20171226_050733.jpg

If that doesn't work, I would frag above the effected area and re mount on a fresh plug.

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's bug related, use this:
20171226_050733.jpg

If that doesn't work, I would frag above the effected area and re mount on a fresh plug.
;OldmanIs this insecticide safe?Wouldn't it be a joke?
I tried to replant after amputation, but it would be reinfected a few weeks later:(

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;OldmanIs this insecticide safe?Wouldn't it be a joke?
I tried to replant after amputation, but it would be reinfected a few weeks later:(
It's no joke. It's all I ever use, and many people use it safely. There is probably a lot of threads about it here, just use the search function.
Many including myself consider it the most effective coral dip out there.

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no joke. It's all I ever use, and many people use it safely. There is probably a lot of threads about it here, just use the search function.
OK, I'll try it. Thank you, but I'm not sure I can buy this insecticide in China.:(Or do you know the chemical composition of this insecticide?I'll try to get the same ingredients for the insecticide.Thanks again!

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its academic name is “Fipronil”?

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this to be soaked alone or in a reef tank?

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It been a couple years since I have done corals, but I used to dip corals in 1:10, bayer:salt water, and let the coral soak for 15 min. Then I would rinse in salt water and then add the coral to the tank. Worked well for me, people may be doing it differently now.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose in a specific ratio. I simply mix to a milky consistancy. Like 2% milk. For about 10-15 minutes and then rinse with clean tank water. You can use a baster to blow on the coral while in the dip to help nasties to fall off the coral.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small tupperware and write a B on it with permanent marker > put a couple inches of tank water in the tupperware and fill 2 other with the same amount of water > add bayer to the one marked with the B and make it skim milk looking > add coral and after a few minutes squirt with baster to blow off dead or stunned pests > take out after 15 min and put in tupperware #2 > go discard the bayer water OUTSIDE in the yard > take baster and squirt the corals some more in the #2 tupperware > after 5 min move to tupperware #3 > inspect corals closely and after 5 min add to tank > dump remaining tupperwares outside > clean up

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back