Seek help!SPS ciliates how to treat?

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small tupperware and write a B on it with permanent marker > put a couple inches of tank water in the tupperware and fill 2 other with the same amount of water > add bayer to the one marked with the B and make it skim milk looking > add coral and after a few minutes squirt with baster to blow off dead or stunned pests > take out after 15 min and put in tupperware #2 > go discard the bayer water OUTSIDE in the yard > take baster and squirt the corals some more in the #2 tupperware > after 5 min move to tupperware #3 > inspect corals closely and after 5 min add to tank > dump remaining tupperwares outside > clean up
Very good detailed description. Exactly how I do it also.

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everybody!But I can't buy Bayer Advanced Complete in China, It's really a pity. I've found a lot of channels. But the customs still didn't let it be imported.
So I'm going to test the effects of imidacloprid and cyfluthrin,It's dangerous, but there's no way to do it.
Hope not to poison me.........
;)

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far apart did you try using different dips? Dips do stress out corals so I hope you did not dip 3 times to close apart. Also, Insect pest? Never heard of this or can't find no information. is this a flatworm found on this site under "other flatworms"?

https://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/reef-pest-control.asp

also, not sure if its STN, looks more like bleaching from the base.

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far apart did you try using different dips? Dips do stress out corals so I hope you did not dip 3 times to close apart. Also, Insect pest? Never heard of this or can't find no information. is this a flatworm found on this site under "other flatworms"?

https://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/reef-pest-control.asp

also, not sure if its STN, looks more like bleaching from the base.
Three months ago, a small amount of insect damage was found, but it wasn't widespread infection at that time. Recently, it began to become more and more uncontrollable. The two articles mentioned similar pests to me, but there was no solution. I looked at the pest samples with a microscope, and I did a drug reaction to the samples of the pests, and there was no good medicine, I haven't tried Bayer yet, but I hope it works.

http://marinesavers.com/coral-disease/
https://reefbuilders.com/2012/07/24/halofolliculina-corallasia/

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three months ago, a small amount of insect damage was found, but it wasn't widespread infection at that time. Recently, it began to become more and more uncontrollable. The two articles mentioned similar pests to me, but there was no solution. I looked at the pest samples with a microscope, and I did a drug reaction to the samples of the pests, and there was no good medicine, I haven't tried Bayer yet, but I hope it works.

http://marinesavers.com/coral-disease/
https://reefbuilders.com/2012/07/24/halofolliculina-corallasia/

This is the first time I am hearing about this!!! Shows how much we still have to learn in this hobby...Are any of your sps corals uneffected?

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I am hearing about this!!! Shows how much we still have to learn in this hobby...Are any of your sps corals uneffected?

This is the first time that I have encountered this kind of insect pest. This insect pest probably comes from the coral bred in Indonesia. Most of my corals are infected, but I have been saving all kinds of ways, such as amputation, and then replace the new base.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like a vermitid snail's "Mini Me". I know vermitids are hard to kill unless you open their tube. Maybe, and especially since you have a microscope, you could scrape the tubes to expose the ciliates before you treat? And maybe after treating, cover the affected area with crazy glue?

OP
OP

66dada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like a vermitid snail's "Mini Me". I know vermitids are hard to kill unless you open their tube. Maybe, and especially since you have a microscope, you could scrape the tubes to expose the ciliates before you treat? And maybe after treating, cover the affected area with crazy glue?

My frags is too much. It may be unrealistic to have a complex operation for every frag.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This ciliate begins to erode from the bottom,Resulting in continuous STN。
A lot of SPS frags have been lost。
I've tried “coral RX” and iodine solution to soak,But there is no effect。
What is the treatment?
Can you help me with what you have to treat it? Thank you all!:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following are the pictures under the microscope

微信图片_20171226173631.jpg 微信图片_20171226173619.jpg 微信图片_20171226173627.jpg 微信图片_20171226173624.jpg

Great photos documenting the ciliates! Were you able to find something that would kill them aside from just cutting away the infected skeleton? Have you tried potassium salts as a dip? From another thread talking about the dip: Potassium dip - 2 teaspoons of KCl (potassium chloride... Can be found as water softener pellets at hardware store) per gallon of water. Will raise solution roughly 1200 ppm of Potassium to a total of 1600 ppm (most teef tanks are at 400 ppm already), causing flatworms to fly off coral and all animals to die. Dip for 30 mins. This dip can be harsh to acros.

CoralExotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with those pests before. No dips are affective against them including Bayer. What I noticed is that they only affect unhealthy acros. I just fragged the acros that were affected and planted the good portion in a different area of the tank. I've never seen any other solution for these pests. It is also known as coral band erosion.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've dealt with those pests before. No dips are affective against them including Bayer. What I noticed is that they only affect unhealthy acros. I just fragged the acros that were affected and planted the good portion in a different area of the tank. I've never seen any other solution for these pests. It is also known as coral band erosion.

Thanks for the reply. That's how I've dealt with them before too. Was just hoping someone figured out a dip that would work on them. The scary part is I've seen them on LPS skeletons also. They don't seem to affect the LPS, but that would be an unfortunate way to introduce them into a tank.

Back