Seeking advice for locations for a UV Steriliser (within cabinet/sump) & Filter Roller

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was wondering if you can offer some advice on locations/products…

I’m look at installing:

• UV Sterilizer (Pentair E50S – 50watts // L76cm x W15cm)
  • Filter Roller (Klir filter – which should go into a filter sock // OR // Something like the redsea reefmat)

Are you able to provide any advice for locations for the above?

I’ve attached a photo where I think these could go… keeping in mind I’m ‘trying’ to be as minimalistic and compact as possible so nothing outside the tank/cabinet.

Red Circle = Filter Roller - Location I think would be best is filter sock location now, noting I don’t think anything other than the Klir will fit in this location

Yellow Circle = UV Steriliser - I can possibly mount this on the roof of the sump (horizontal – not ideal I know) or vertical in the sump as circled or in the storage area within the cabinet also circled.

A62042FF-81E0-4271-AD19-0DB7A64EAD37.jpg

f94a2a_fd5147d6357c432e91f538155d898689_mv2.png

image.jpg

Also... has anyone had any experience keeping the steriliser wholly within the sump/cabinet?

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance J

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the red circle is the best place for a fleece roller. I'm not sure if you'd need to remove the filter sock trays or otherwise modify that section to get it to fit (I don't have any hands-on with the Cade).

The first yellow circle (top) is probably where you want to place your skimmer. You'll probably also want that storage, so if it were me I'd mount it horizontally above the RO reservoir with the bulb/cord end facing forward for easy access.

I seem to recall that the Cade has a manifold, so if so you can probably plumb the UV right off that.

My UV is completely in my stand (Red Sea 750XXL). I have it mounted horizontally at the back of my sump along the back and use a Sicce SDC 6.0 pump to pull water from the post-filter sock chamber and empty into the return chamber (Red Sea doesn't have a manifold and I added the UV after I set the tank up).

OP
OP
DownUnderAqua

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the red circle is the best place for a fleece roller. I'm not sure if you'd need to remove the filter sock trays or otherwise modify that section to get it to fit (I don't have any hands-on with the Cade).

The first yellow circle (top) is probably where you want to place your skimmer. You'll probably also want that storage, so if it were me I'd mount it horizontally above the RO reservoir with the bulb/cord end facing forward for easy access.

I seem to recall that the Cade has a manifold, so if so you can probably plumb the UV right off that.

My UV is completely in my stand (Red Sea 750XXL). I have it mounted horizontally at the back of my sump along the back and use a Sicce SDC 6.0 pump to pull water from the post-filter sock chamber and empty into the return chamber (Red Sea doesn't have a manifold and I added the UV after I set the tank up).
Hey, thanks for that!

Yeah, I was thinking that’s the best place for a roller. I’m limited with space as it’s only 125mm wide, which is why I was looking at the Klir model as it’s supposed to fit into the filter sock hole. I haven’t seen anything else that would fit in that location for the Cade s2/p 1200.

As for the Uv, yep the Cade has these I can use. Maybe the chiller space will be good for it. I’ve got the cabinets against that wall so I no access and it’s not being used for because it’s tough to get into haha.
D2247B39-560B-4624-BC90-EA5181FA582E.jpeg
F8CAA978-160D-4675-9E17-769FFF655DBE.jpeg

OP
OP
DownUnderAqua

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller space would probably be a good location if it fits.
So it fits upright in the chiller/storage area!

I ended up getting the 50W Pentair UV.

From an operational point of view what I’m thinking (let me know if it won’t work, or other suggestions) I’m thinking of hooking it up to my chiller outlet drawn from the return I believe and then adjusting the valve to let the right amount of flow through for pest management… Thr outlet of the uv would then feed into the filter socks…

My return pump is M2, running at 50%… much more grunt available if needed (can do 7,500 lph).
78E4B313-C12D-4917-8B33-413A79A0BBAA.png

Ultimately I’m trying to avoid buying another return, which I don’t think would fit anyway

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it fits upright in the chiller/storage area!

I ended up getting the 50W Pentair UV.

From an operational point of view what I’m thinking (let me know if it won’t work, or other suggestions) I’m thinking of hooking it up to my chiller outlet drawn from the return I believe and then adjusting the valve to let the right amount of flow through for pest management… Thr outlet of the uv would then feed into the filter socks…

My return pump is M2, running at 50%… much more grunt available if needed (can do 7,500 lph).
78E4B313-C12D-4917-8B33-413A79A0BBAA.png

Ultimately I’m trying to avoid buying another return, which I don’t think would fit anyway
The EU50 is a good model for that tank.

I'd think you'd want to hook the UV output into the return to the tank as you don't want it cycling back into the sump.

My UV is fed from the return pump then back later into the return line. I use a ball valve to control the flow into the UV with the rest of the flow bypassing.

OP
OP
DownUnderAqua

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance for the 5-year-old drawing skills.

If I were to change the return to a Y from the M2, followed by a bell valve to reduce/control the flow going into the UV that would work? The outlet of the UV would then feed back into the Tank from the chiller valve

7B7AE9FB-12D5-4200-A569-26297DEBA88D.jpeg

E9BB3838-D40F-4FA2-ACD2-B2FFC15FD602.jpeg
F21A2C93-F1CC-4D49-B35A-0A3B24B62A57.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance for the 5-year-old drawing skills.

If I were to change the return to a Y from the M2, followed by a bell valve to reduce/control the flow going into the UV that would work? The outlet of the UV would then feed back into the Tank from the chiller valve

7B7AE9FB-12D5-4200-A569-26297DEBA88D.jpeg

E9BB3838-D40F-4FA2-ACD2-B2FFC15FD602.jpeg
F21A2C93-F1CC-4D49-B35A-0A3B24B62A57.jpeg
Yep, if I understand correctly that will work. You may want some sort of union and valve in the pipe from the UV so you can disconnect to measure the flow.

You should probably lose the metal hose clamp BTW, it'll end up rusting and probably pollute the tank even if it is bunnings marine grade ;)

OP
OP
DownUnderAqua

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, if I understand correctly that will work. You may want some sort of union and valve in the pipe from the UV so you can disconnect to measure the flow.

You should probably lose the metal hose clamp BTW, it'll end up rusting and probably pollute the tank even if it is bunnings marine grade ;)
Amazing. I’ll give it a crack over the weekend.

Bunnings will be visited a new times I think haha Thanks for the heads up!

Back