Seeking advise on best simple settings for x2 AI Prime 16 HDs on a 40 breeder mixed reef

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I had a nutrient/ Alk issue on my 6 month old 40 gallon and may have lost some corals. They are very bleached and there is some RTN. So I moved them into low light areas of the tank on frag racks for the time being while I get my parameters back under control. I figured this may be a good time to evaluate my lighting.

I set my lights up on a modified Saxby preset, CW lowered by 20%, UV and blues raised by 10% and overall intensity lowered by 30%. I'm realizing that since I am new I don't fully understand the benefits of this preset and its zig zags. Maybe I should switch to a more simple setting so if I start learning what my tank needs I can adjust?

I set the lights up per BRS guidelines of 10 inches from the water. I tried their light settings but it was way too bright and white.

So, I'm really just looking for advice. I'm not looking for crazy par. I'll list the corals below

3 chalices
3 montis
1 monti cap
1 monti digi
3 favia
1 acan
2 leptos
1 Birdsnest
1 BoP
1 Branching hammer
1 Goniopora
5 zoa frags
1 Duncan
1 stylocoeniella
GSP
Pulsing Xenia

I know I went too fast adding corals. Most were fragged from very kind local reefers.

Should I just set the lights to a specific temperature and do an hour ramp on and off?

IMG-0984.jpg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is of any use since I only have zoas and ricordea but I also setup 2x AI Primes over a 40 breeder using the BRS spacing and heights.

I'm using a 40% version of the LPS/Softie recommended settings and it's working fine for me.
*I started moving up to 55% version (even in acclimation mode over 30 days) but my corals didn't seem to like it so I went back to 40%.

Here's the scaled versions of the BRS LPS/Softie setting for 40 breeder, in case of any use:

AI_Prime_BRS_Settings.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is of any use since I only have zoas and ricordea but I also setup 2x AI Primes over a 40 breeder using the BRS spacing and heights.

I'm using a 40% version of the LPS/Softie recommended settings and it's working fine for me.
*I started moving up to 55% version (even in acclimation mode over 30 days) but my corals didn't seem to like it so I went back to 40%.

Here's the scaled versions of the BRS LPS/Softie setting for 40 breeder, in case of any use:

AI_Prime_BRS_Settings.jpg
Sweet! this is very helpful.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your system stable before adjusting your 16's. Stability is key.
I run 8 16hds on 4 tanks. A 40 breeder needs 3 16's, imo.
Starting with 2 is ok.
I run 1hr up/down on these settings with excellent results.
My 36x24x12 frag system and my 20g nano cube. Quality leds if everything is stable.
Resized_20220814_102837.jpeg
20220503_114006.jpg
20220726_120015.jpg

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back