seeking advise

suckerfishdish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some fish a little over a month ago, a purple, yellow, sail-fin, and hippo tang. I put them in quarantine but didn't treat them right away.

After about 10 days the purple started showing signs of Ich. I treated with Cupramine for 14 days and they looked fine for a few days after. During the treatment the fish looked stressed but were eating good. They started showing signs of HLLE while being treated especially the purple and yellow.

About 7 days after I finished treating with cupramine it looks like there is an absolute explosion of ich and maybe something else. The hippo tang being the most irritated. I decided to treat with formalin so I did a few water changes and ran some cuprisorb. I treated the 20l tank with 2ml of formaline. It is going on 48 hours and it seems that they are not taking the treatmnent very well. They are all breating heavy and the water is cloudy. I am using an airstone and a HOB filter with filter media inside.

They are still eating pretty good and seem to have grown in size for the almost 2 months that they have been in quarantine. What would you do in this case?

I tried to take pics but cant seen to get any picture that is descriptive. I cant seem to get a non blurry picture of them

The Yellow is showing signs of HLLE with what looks like a small puncture mark on its side.

The purple just shows signs of HLLE.

The sail-fin shows the same puncture mark on its side with something that looks like a skin tag that is white on his pectoral fin.

The Hippo tang is the worst with looks like the same puncture mark the other two have and Ich on his body. It also shows signs of HLLE and his body looks very irritated, he is scratching against anything he can. Its body looks like its fading caused by mucus or shedding

I was wondering what y'all would do in this case. The only thing that gives me hope for them, is that they are all still eating especially the hippo tang, its a pig and is fat.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the script from the expert.

OP
OP
S

suckerfishdish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I went a different route from the start , what would you recommend at the point I am currently at. Would you abandon the current treatment of formalin even though the fish are showing signs of what could be something else?

The reason I went this route is because I had successfully treated a sail-fin, hippo, and yellow with cupramine in the past. The fish survived 4 years before they were sold due to having to break down the tank to remodel my home.

I only kept my clownfish which are going on 13+ years old, they are the reason I'm being extra cautious before add anything else.

Last edited:
Back