Seeking marine biology textbook recommendations

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any marine biology textbook recommendations (not too advanced)?

I haven't had an ecology/zoology/biology class in ten years, and I want to review marine food webs to understand more about the relationships between carbon, bacteria, plants, and animals among the different trophic levels. I believe understanding these relationships will make me a better aquarist, especially because I am learning to keep NPS and sessile invertebrates. The more I know about food and bacteria, the better chances I have at keeping them longterm.

TIA

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest a couple things:

1. Get a basic marine biology textbook - recently published - there are numerous examples. Many universities with Marine biology courses list the texts that are required - and would probably be the most up to date
2. In addition to THAT get a book on the microbiology etc of JUST the reef aquarium. There are HUGE differences between the ecosystem / chemistry of an aquarium and the biology of a marine ecosystem. For your general knowlege this I s probably the most important part.

I'm not going to give a specific book for # 2 - as I would recommend getting more than one - so that you get more viewpoints (as there are multiple ways to keep a tank).

Good Luck - and welcome to R2R.

PS - Don't overanalyze;:)

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm actually not new to reef2reef - I just want to get my brain back into it.

Totally aware of the differences between oceans and reef aquaria. The biological processes would be the same to break down food eventually into inorganic nutrients, whether or not the bacteria are the exact same. That's what I'm interested in.

Plus I can't remember any of the names of anything...like I had to look up eutrophic yesterday because I forgot.

Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi!

I'm actually not new to reef2reef - I just want to get my brain back into it.

Totally aware of the differences between oceans and reef aquaria. The biological processes would be the same to break down food eventually into inorganic nutrients, whether or not the bacteria are the exact same. That's what I'm interested in.

Plus I can't remember any of the names of anything...like I had to look up eutrophic yesterday because I forgot.

Thanks!
Still the same advice - if you merely google - you get books from 2007 or 2013. If you go to the actual classes being taught (hopefully) - they are using current textbooks. Anyway - good luck on your research - I should have said there are several articles on R2R - that are written by experts - and are concise. The reason I said 'don't overanalyze' - was because I was picturing you reading 10 marine biology books - when all the information is here already:).

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah tagged correct person.look post 51 in this thread for lots if of interesting articles ( read them all few months back )

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still the same advice - if you merely google - you get books from 2007 or 2013. If you go to the actual classes being taught (hopefully) - they are using current textbooks. Anyway - good luck on your research - I should have said there are several articles on R2R - that are written by experts - and are concise. The reason I said 'don't overanalyze' - was because I was picturing you reading 10 marine biology books - when all the information is here already:).
Lol I promise I will still read 10 marine biology books. I am a researcher by nature. I've read a bunch of the articles, too.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To save you time here's the list YinG Yang refferenced with a few additional links. ;) Some are in hte refferences in Rohwer's book and some are newer and some are for sponges by other researchers than De Goiej which ROhwer doesn't touch on much except reffereing to "filter feeders" I know all this is overwhelming. Keep in mind it's been collected over 10+ years. Also I'd point the maintenence I do on systems I've been taking care of up to 27 years is just basic water changes and watch alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, PO4 and nitrate. Or in a simpler term KISS! :D

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

FYI: DOC can be roughly seperated into three catagories, Labile, Semirefractory and Refractory. Most of the following papaers are looking mainly at Labile DOC. This will raise the hackles on some reefers but keep in mind Labile DOC and Carbon Dosing are synonamous. Jasper deGeoij's work shows cryptic sponges remove labile DOC about a thousand times faster than bacterioplankton. Included are links to some of the research showing what cryptic sponges are doing as well. Also, researchers tend to use DOM (Dissolved Organic Matter) and DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) interchangebly.

long-term stony coral survival in the Coral Reef Exhibit at Reef HQ Aquarium, Townsville, Australia with an ATS was measured in days, not years. (See figure 3) (This page may have been removed, I can send you a copy of the .PDF if you're interested)

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
Starch and sugars (doc) caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs
DDAM Proven

Coral Reef Microorganisms in a Changing Climate, Fig 3

Ecosystem Microbiology of Coral Reefs: Linking Genomic, Metabolomic, and Biogeochemical Dynamics from Animal Symbioses to Reefscape Processes

Because sponges are essential players in the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus cycle(s) on reefs here's some links to research done with them.

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponge finding some species process labile DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

And since we're discussing favorable and not so favorable bacteria here's a paper looking at how different corals and polyps are influencing the bacteria in the water column.
Aura-biomes are present in the water layer above coral reef benthic macro-organisms

Phosphorus and nitrogen stuff

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Fig 4 from "Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts"
DIP DOP POP.jpg

Ammonium Uptake by Symbiotic and Aposymbiotic Reef Corals

Amino acids a source of nitrogen for corals

Urea a source of nitrogen for corals

Diazotrpophs a source of nitrogen for corals

Context Dependant Effects of Nutrient Loading on the Coral-Algal Mutualism

Fig 3 from COntext Dependant Effects
Context‐dependent effects of nutrient loading on the coral–algal mutualism(1).png

Feldman's research on aquarium stuff

Granular Activated Carbon Pt 1

Granular Activated Carbon Pt 2

Total Organic Carbon Pt 1

Total Organic Carbon Pt 2

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate

Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To save you time here's the list YinG Yang refferenced with a few additional links. ;) Some are in hte refferences in Rohwer's book and some are newer and some are for sponges by other researchers than De Goiej which ROhwer doesn't touch on much except reffereing to "filter feeders" I know all this is overwhelming. Keep in mind it's been collected over 10+ years. Also I'd point the maintenence I do on systems I've been taking care of up to 27 years is just basic water changes and watch alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, PO4 and nitrate. Or in a simpler term KISS! :D

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

BActeria and Sponges

FYI: DOC can be roughly seperated into three catagories, Labile, Semirefractory and Refractory. Most of the following papaers are looking mainly at Labile DOC. This will raise the hackles on some reefers but keep in mind Labile DOC and Carbon Dosing are synonamous. Jasper deGeoij's work shows cryptic sponges remove labile DOC about a thousand times faster than bacterioplankton. Included are links to some of the research showing what cryptic sponges are doing as well. Also, researchers tend to use DOM (Dissolved Organic Matter) and DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) interchangebly.

long-term stony coral survival in the Coral Reef Exhibit at Reef HQ Aquarium, Townsville, Australia with an ATS was measured in days, not years. (See figure 3) (This page may have been removed, I can send you a copy of the .PDF if you're interested)

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality

Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
Starch and sugars (doc) caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

DDAM Proven

Ecosystem Microbiology of Coral Reefs: Linking Genomic, Metabolomic, and Biogeochemical Dynamics from Animal Symbioses to Reefscape Processes

Because sponges are essential players in the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus cycle(s) on reefs here's some links to research done with them.

This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponge finding some species process labile DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

And since we're discussing favorable and not so favorable bacteria here's a paper looking at how different corals and polyps are influencing the bacteria in the water column.
Aura-biomes are present in the water layer above coral reef benthic macro-organisms

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

DIP DOP POP.jpg

Context‐dependent effects of nutrient loading on the coral–algal mutualism(1).png

I see you support my comment that there is not 'one book' - and I agree with you - KISS - is the best method - I'm going to have to save this post - because you put up a lot of fantastic references!!!!!! Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW if I had to pick one - it would be coral in the microbial seas

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BActeria and Sponges

DDAM Proven

Phosphate Deficiency:

DIP DOP POP.jpg

This is SO helpful! I'm sure this took you a while to compile. I will also be saving it!

I will look at these and see if I still need a foundational text for a refresher, since it's been so many years since I took any ecology/biology/zoology classes. I never took a marine bio class either.

I ALSO believe in the KISS method, but I started an NPS tank, so I need to figure out what my KISS method will be for that tank, and to do that, I believe these resources will be helpful. Trying to feed sessile inverts and NPS corals without fully understanding the food web, carbon, organics, inorganics, and the microbial loop is irresponsible.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is SO helpful! I'm sure this took you a while to compile. I will also be saving it! . . . Trying to feed sessile inverts and NPS corals without fully understanding the food web, carbon, organics, inorganics, and the microbial loop is irresponsible.

I would add "trying to" ;)

"without 'trying to' fully understanding the food web, carbon, organics, inorganics, and the microbial loop is irresponsible"

We still don't know a great deal about all that stuff. :/

There's also this stuff on feeding photosynthetic corals I forgot to add. While none of it was done on non-photosynthetic species, species specific response should still be expected IMO.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back