Selecting the right 2-part for your tank! | BRStv Reef Gear Guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Would you look at that, we have another new series coming out! Here in BRStv Reef Gear Guide, Ryan dives deeper into some of the gear you may be considering for your tank and provides some recommendations and considerations when choosing the best option for you. :)

In this episode of BRStv Reef Gear Guide, we're talking 2-part dosing methods!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video.

For Red Sea, you can get their entire foundation + trace elements with 3 Red Sea products. I call it the Freddie Way (@GoVols). Red Sea's Skeletal Elements is their Foundation 1,2,3 and Colors A,B in one powder. If you add in Color C,D, then you have all 7 products in 3. If dosing Alk/Ca/Mg equally via power works for you, it is an interesting approach.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent... and good timing.

I'm in the process of setting up a new system, and had been evaluating the different choices:

1) Calcium Reactor: EXPENSIVE startup, still need additional supplementation.
2) Kalkwasser: Planning for SPS dominated tank, not going to get me there.
3) BRS 2pt: Works... not really a complete solution.
4) Red Sea: Complete, defined 'system'... like the NoPox/Carbon dosing thing... 2nd choice :)
5) Aquaforest: Sorry, didn't really look at this one.
6) Triton: Complete, defined 'system', love macro algae refugeum, actually testing for stuff and dosing only what you need makes sense. No water changes? Yeah, that puts it over the top.

Just ordered my 1st Triton Core... oh, and used my BRS points to pay for it :)

Keep it up, folks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video.

For Red Sea, you can get their entire foundation + trace elements with 3 Red Sea products. I call it the Freddie Way (@GoVols). Red Sea's Skeletal Elements is their Foundation 1,2,3 and Colors A,B in one powder. If you add in Color C,D, then you have all 7 products in 3. If dosing Alk/Ca/Mg equally via power works for you, it is an interesting approach.
Lol,
Bought the big bucket 0f the ABC+ powder from BRS for about $32 last fall and (lol) RedSeaKev taught me how much of "Colors" C & D" to dose with the ABC+ powder. I'm holding 80 gallons but would not go with bigger reef than that with the ABC+ powder.
I'd say not for a beginner because you dose up all of the Big-3 at once. Use pure alk from time to time to keep it inline with the RS ABC+ powder.
But... These are the colors I'm getting since last fall.

Red Sea Colors.jpg

Regards, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I did quite well with a mixed tank and large clam with this two-part solution: Prestone Driveway Heat & Baking Soda

During winter time nothing like throw some on the driveway to melt the ice and then mixing a batch for the reef tank

Moved on to BRS two-part

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome video and info!

Andres Ricardo perez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent... and good timing.

I'm in the process of setting up a new system, and had been evaluating the different choices:

1) Calcium Reactor: EXPENSIVE startup, still need additional supplementation.
2) Kalkwasser: Planning for SPS dominated tank, not going to get me there.
3) BRS 2pt: Works... not really a complete solution.
4) Red Sea: Complete, defined 'system'... like the NoPox/Carbon dosing thing... 2nd choice :)
5) Aquaforest: Sorry, didn't really look at this one.
6) Triton: Complete, defined 'system', love macro algae refugeum, actually testing for stuff and dosing only what you need makes sense. No water changes? Yeah, that puts it over the top.

Just ordered my 1st Triton Core... oh, and used my BRS points to pay for it :)

Keep it up, folks!

Additional supplementation on calcium reactor? Plz explain me

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional supplementation on calcium reactor? Plz explain me
Calcium reactor keeps calcium up, alkalinity up, some trace elements, depending on reactor media, but not everything. Nutrients and trace elements that only exist in the coral's flesh will not be present in dead coral skeletons. Water changes, additional trace elements... some additional supplementation is going to be required.

Andres Ricardo perez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor keeps calcium up, alkalinity up, some trace elements, depending on reactor media, but not everything. Nutrients and trace elements that only exist in the coral's flesh will not be present in dead coral skeletons. Water changes, additional trace elements... some additional supplementation is going to be required.
Strontium, boro, potassium, lithio, and others ones no supplements adds by calcium reactor?

MikeAndrews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Would you look at that, we have another new series coming out! Here in BRStv Reef Gear Guide, Ryan dives deeper into some of the gear you may be considering for your tank and provides some recommendations and considerations when choosing the best option for you. :)

In this episode of BRStv Reef Gear Guide, we're talking 2-part dosing methods!

My 190 reef has been up and running for 4 years. I simply use BRS 2 part and Acropower. Weekly 10% water changes too. I like to keep it simple.

IMG_1076.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
You get some good trace elements from a cal. reactor's media but not all of the good trace elements.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strontium, boro, potassium, lithio, and others ones no supplements adds by calcium reactor?
Just a quick story...

Once upon a time, I ran a DIY calcium reactor. This was over 15 years ago, and most of the parts were from the local welding supply house. Effective? Yes, very much so... and not nearly as expensive as Calc reactors are today... I figure I had about $200 in mine. Easy? Hardly. Keeping the darned thing balanced, and not cratering my pH, was a daily challenge. I expect that things have improved a great deal... if they were still that big of a pain, nobody would be using them. Still, back then, it was Kalkwasser (Mrs. Wages pickling lime) , the brand new at the time, 1st generation Bi-Ionic, or a DIY calc reactor. There just weren't any other choices. I maxed out uptake from Kalkwasser, and started building a Calc reactor.

Fast forward a couple of decades... there's all sorts of solutions available for Calcium, alkalinity, and trace elements. That's the point of BRS's video. What works for you may not necessarily work for someone else. BRS's video says 'start with cheap, then you have a point of reference to compare when you try the more expensive solutions'. Excellent advice. Calcium reactors, not even on their list, top the price range... at startup, at least. Note that accepting Bi-Ionic, none of their choices was available a decade back. Calcium reactors are a good solution, if a bit risky, and more than a bit expensive... but you still need to do water changes, or add the elements that do not come along for the ride when dissolving old coral skeletons in acid (which is what a Calcium reactor really does!).

Honestly, if Kalkwasser could keep up with demand in a heavily stocked SPS tank, nobody would be having this conversation. I _love_ kalk... it's easy, cheap, and effective. Unfortunately, even when you add a bit of vinegar to help over saturate your kalkwasser, it just can't keep up with demand in many of our tanks. You running mostly softies or LPS in your tank? I _highly_ recommend you look into kalkwasser for Calc/Alk maintenance. The Tunze ATO system and 5074 Calcium dispenser (Sorry BRS... Not sure why you don't carry this!) is an excellent, stable, cheap solution, and it works. Well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works for you may not necessarily work for someone else.
Greybeard,
That one line, says it all. :rolleyes:

Every reef is different and we all find our way . "Many Ways to Skin a Cat". :)
No one best way and try to respect others in the ways that they maintain their reef.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, BRS, for another great video series.

I have been using the ESV B-Ionic 2-Part Calcium Buffer System and B-Ionic Magnesium for over a year after I spoke personally with Craig Bingman about my system, and I have had very good results with their products.
But in this latest video, I think you're selling ESV short of their product line and "lack" of trace element supplementation. Back in March I was able to ask Joe Yaiullo about the ESV Trace Elements products, so I asked BRS via the website link about carrying ESV's B-Ionic Trace Elements and Trace Elements (PLUS) products. I did receive a reply quickly stating that my request would be passed on to the rest of the BRS team. That is the last I've heard or seen anything about adding the rest of the ESV product line to the BRS storefront.
I do agree that the ESV 2-Part program is very simple, but it should be; one of the main factors in using the system. But to declare their limited ability or inability to supplement trace elements without mentioning (or offering) a product that does just that seems a bit shortsighted.
As I mentioned in the e-mail question I submitted in March, [almost] all of my supplies are purchased through BRS (or local storefronts supplied by BRS) and I would like to see the rest of the ESV product line offered by BRS.

Thanks for reading.
See you next week for your next episode!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS's video says 'start with cheap, then you have a point of reference to compare when you try the more expensive solutions'. Excellent advice.

+1

Real props to BRS for both advocating the simple and affordable first and also calling out that it could look potentially self-serving and then explain their rationale.

It's this tone that makes BRS videos the best and such a trusted source.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great timing as I am thinking about dosing a 2 part of some sort. I know your talking about commercial products here but it would have been great if a DIY 2 part was also talked about.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I did quite well with a mixed tank and large clam with this two-part solution: Prestone Driveway Heat & Baking Soda

During winter time nothing like throw some on the driveway to melt the ice and then mixing a batch for the reef tank

Moved on to BRS two-part
may I ask why you went from DIY to BRS 2 part?
I am debating between those two and as someone how has used both I would love feedback!

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess would be simplicity. you already have prepackaged amounts that you just open up and mix in with a gallon of rodi. for me, it's one further step from work, one step closer to relaxing lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back