• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Selling a reef tank system

Msamazing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to sell my my tank with all the equipment, livestock, aquarium, etc. Where is the best place to list it for a pick up scenario in my local area? Also, everything is very new so not sure how to price it.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for where to post it I wouldn’t be any help since I don’t know your area. Where I’m at we’ve got some Facebook groups, a local reef club with a classified section for buying/selling/trading used stuff and livestock, and we’ve also got a website similar to Craigslist that everyone uses for buying and selling anything used. Craigslist isn’t very big here.

I have found that selling a tank as a full setup is hard to do and you get way less than what it’s worth. If you have the time to part it out you’ll get more for it and it’s easier to come up with a price. It seems like most stuff goes anywhere from 40-75% of retail with a few driving factors; brand, age, quality, original packaging/warranty, etc. I usually look for past sales on here and eBay to get a good idea of what they are going for. For stuff that’s less than 6 months old and especially if you have the original packaging then I’d say post it closer to 75% of retail. For stuff that’s a few years old, has the appearance of being used but still works as intended and has a good amount of life left, post it for closer to 40% of retail. There are some things that hold they’re value a little better too though. A lot of EcoTech stuff for example seems to go for closer to 60% and up from what I’ve noticed. By no means is this anyone’s standard but my own. These are just observations I’ve made through buying full setups, taking what I need out of that for my own setup, and then selling off what I don’t need. I havent done it for some time now but that’s kind of the guidelines I went by and a lot of times my asking prices were pretty close. If you’re off you can always accept offers...

As far as a price for your full setup, if you can give a list of what’s included; tank and sump info, all gear like lights reactors and all that, and then all livestock included. We’d be able to help a bit more. Hope this was helpful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To me, a favorite and the Hydnophora reminds me of a common branching SPS with horns sprouting out all over its body. The growth patterns on this coral are something very different and unique from other corals which makes it very interesting . Placement of the Hydnophora coral should be in the upper level of your tank for high light and in an area of very high water flow. The closer you can get your coral to the light without bleaching it you will notice the color gets brighter

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to sell my my tank with all the equipment, livestock, aquarium, etc. Where is the best place to list it for a pick up scenario in my local area? Also, everything is very new so not sure how to price it.
It really depends, usually 40-50% off retail. Usually I see tanks that bigger than around 150 sold for around 60+ off. Again, it depends

OP
OP
M

Msamazing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for where to post it I wouldn’t be any help since I don’t know your area. Where I’m at we’ve got some Facebook groups, a local reef club with a classified section for buying/selling/trading used stuff and livestock, and we’ve also got a website similar to Craigslist that everyone uses for buying and selling anything used. Craigslist isn’t very big here.

I have found that selling a tank as a full setup is hard to do and you get way less than what it’s worth. If you have the time to part it out you’ll get more for it and it’s easier to come up with a price. It seems like most stuff goes anywhere from 40-75% of retail with a few driving factors; brand, age, quality, original packaging/warranty, etc. I usually look for past sales on here and eBay to get a good idea of what they are going for. For stuff that’s less than 6 months old and especially if you have the original packaging then I’d say post it closer to 75% of retail. For stuff that’s a few years old, has the appearance of being used but still works as intended and has a good amount of life left, post it for closer to 40% of retail. There are some things that hold they’re value a little better too though. A lot of EcoTech stuff for example seems to go for closer to 60% and up from what I’ve noticed. By no means is this anyone’s standard but my own. These are just observations I’ve made through buying full setups, taking what I need out of that for my own setup, and then selling off what I don’t need. I havent done it for some time now but that’s kind of the guidelines I went by and a lot of times my asking prices were pretty close. If you’re off you can always accept offers...

As far as a price for your full setup, if you can give a list of what’s included; tank and sump info, all gear like lights reactors and all that, and then all livestock included. We’d be able to help a bit more. Hope this was helpful.
Thank you so much. This is very helpful!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back