Selling locally online - tips/suggestions?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to buying/trading on these forums. What are the generally accepted practices of buying/selling corals here?

- Do you generally meet at a location not your home/play of employment?
- If you meet at a person's home, do you generally go inside to look at the coral in the tank before making the transaction?
- Do people generally "vemno" or cash?
- Etc?

Any thoughts and input appreciated.

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought, sold and traded a fair amount with other hobbyists.

I’ve done pretty much everything you’ve described. I generally leave it up to whatever the other person is comfortable with.

Anyone that buys/trades with me is welcome to come over and check out the tanks, and talk reefing.

I’ve also met people at a neutral location, or at a LFS for some that are on the west side, that don’t want to make the drive all the way to my place in Mesa. I try to be reasonable - most in this hobby are awesome people.

As far as payment goes, up until the last year, it was mostly cash. But I’ve noticed now about half the people I’ve sold to have wanted to pay electronically.

Ultimately, it’s up to you, and what you’re comfortable with.

Another option, that may be of interest to you, is to join AZ FRAG. We have monthly meetings, and members can sell their corals at the auction. As the seller you get to determine the starting bid (reserve). You may not make as much selling as you would selling each frag individually, but it’s a way to get rid of over growth in your tank, without a ton of hassle.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also bought and sold online locally, usually the person buying will go pick it from the seller. A few times the seller has told be to meet them in Mcdonalds parking lot for example, most often they just invite me over.

Back in the old days they would invite you in and show you their tank and you have a nice little chat, now most people come outside to bring it to you, very few times I'm invited inside now. Of course the coral is always closed up when its bagged so you can't really see it, you have to trust that you will get what you bought.

During the covid, most people asked for electronic funds transfer, now most people are back to cash but a few still prefer cashless.

I've never met bad people or had any bad experience, there are a few purchases I regretted, but overall I like buying and selling locally.

Unfortunately most people these days want basically the same price as retail.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never met bad people or had any bad experience, there are a few purchases I regretted, but overall I like buying and selling locally.

Unfortunately most people these days want basically the same price as retail.
I have a handful of nice sized regular old cabbage leathers and kenya trees that I'd like to get rid of (I'll post a FS at some point). I'm less interesting in "making money" and would rather make a few bucks sending them to a new home than trying to get store credit at a LFS or just trimming and throwing away (sad). :)

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try your luck at the club auction, it always seems to move in waves, some months softies are actively bid on and other months no one bids on them. It boils down to who's in attendance.
This is definitely how it is. We’ve sold lots of frags there for the $5 minimum we put on them. We’ve also had our fair share of frags running up in to the $30 and $40 range. You just never know what will happen at one of the club auctions.

Either way - it helps me clear out excess out of the tanks (especially the nanos).

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, that may be of interest to you, is to join AZ FRAG. We have monthly meetings, and members can sell their corals at the auction. As the seller you get to determine the starting bid (reserve). You may not make as much selling as you would selling each frag individually, but it’s a way to get rid of over growth in your tank, without a ton of hassle.

Cool - how do I join AZ FRAG?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - how do I join AZ FRAG?
Here's the link to become a member:

And if you're free this Saturday, join us at Fate Brewery:

Back