Semi-emergency... Velvet, Cupramine and moyeri leopard wrasse.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex in combination with furan-2 would be ideal. I'd also be cautious mixing all the antibiotics and copper, it is possible to cause a bacterial bloom.

Have you been dosing Furan-2 daily?

Or you just had it in the tank at some point?

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex in combination with furan-2 would be ideal. I'd also be cautious mixing all the antibiotics and copper, it is possible to cause a bacterial bloom.

Have you been dosing Furan-2 daily?

Or you just had it in the tank at some point?

Just added it the first day which was sunday night.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I was supposed to repeat that dose 24h after. Just added it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added it the first day which was sunday night.

I do believe it should be dosed daily to be effective. I am not at home, but read the instructions on the box if you have one nearby.

Do you have Kanaplex?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think big box pet stores carry Kanaplex. If you have one nearby. It will be effective for fin rot. I would continue furan-2. Since you are seeing red spots.

Regardless of instructions, you want to use the antibiotics for 10-14 days. Even if you see improvement.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might as well throw metro in there as well, but like HotRocks said, it may cause a bloom with copper.

I ripped this from the bacterial infections thread.

For really bad infections, @Humblefish advocates combining metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex), Furan-2 and Kanaplex to achieve a very broad spectrum of treatment. Props to “hedgedrew” for enlightening me of this.

also this:

Although it is not optimal to do so, you can combine antibiotics with copper treatment or Chloroquine phosphate. Since I do not use hyposalinity to treat Ich, I have no experience using antibiotics in hypo conditions. I do not recommend mixing Prazipro with antibiotics, or any other medication for that matter. It is important to remember that every medication you use depletes the water of oxygen. Combining meds just exacerbates this. Therefore, it is absolutely imperative to provide additional gas exchange when treating.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am sure @Humblefish will chime in but I wouldn't mix copper with any other medicines. I haven't read in detail but if you need to address bacterial infection, that will be my first priority as they are very destructive . I would do water change completely , run carbon and then dose antibiotics.

I would first try and get NFG - Nitro Furacin Green - its costly but the most effective I have found .

http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

If not a combination of metro, kanaplex and metroplex can be administered .

I have made it a practice to give my fishes a bath of NFG first time they come in even before going to qt which helps to avoid a lot of issues .

Regards,
Abhishek

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You technically can mix ABX with copper (or Chloroquine), if you provide additional gas exchange to compensate for O2 depletion. Appetite suppression will also likely be an issue.

However, it’s probably a bit self-defeating to combine them since copper & Chloroquine are both immunosuppressants. If possible, it’s always best to use ABX as a single treatment while simultaneously boosting your fish’s immune system with vitamins and probiotics.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You technically can mix ABX with copper (or Chloroquine), if you provide additional gas exchange to compensate for O2 depletion. Appetite suppression will also likely be an issue.

However, it’s probably a bit self-defeating to combine them since copper & Chloroquine are both immunosuppressants. If possible, it’s always best to use ABX as a single treatment while simultaneously boosting your fish’s immune system with vitamins and probiotics.

I'm confused. If copper is an immune suppressant then wouldn't you want to use antibiotics? How is that self defeating?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he is getting at is you can be taking a risk hitting the fish hard with everything at once.

You don't need to use antibiotics with copper or CP. It doesn't counteract the negative affects of copper.

Antibiotics kill bacteria, they don't boost immune system. Antibiotics can actually hinder the immune system a bit as well, as some good bacteria is also wiped out, hence the reason for a probiotic supplement to boost the positive bacteria.

If your fish have a secondary infection from the parasite entry or any other reason it may be necessary to use in combination with CP/Copper. Or the only way to get rid of parasites and infection at the same time before it's too late. That is a judgement call you have to make.

You definitely want to add supplements to the food like selcon, zoecon etc.

The more meds you add at once, the more you will suppress their appetite. Which also creates an issue. Also as mentioned before the risk of a bacterial bloom.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. If copper is an immune suppressant then wouldn't you want to use antibiotics? How is that self defeating?

Meaning, a fish in copper or Chloroquine is unlikely to ever beat an infection. Because the immune system is constantly being suppressed. Antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them.

This explains in more detail: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.315/

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning, a fish in copper or Chloroquine is unlikely to ever beat an infection. Because the immune system is constantly being suppressed. Antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them.

This explains in more detail: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.315/

Gotcha. I definitely understand that I'm just controlling the infection at this point rather than watching fins rot off :)

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Everyone seems much better. Yellow tang barely has a rear fin left, but he's swimming around happily in the hospital tank with no obvious bacteria on him.

I'm fighting ammonia. Basically having to do a 75% water change every day (with copper and abx added to new water) to keep free ammonia nearly undetectable. I'm using the seachem ammonia test. Lots of Total ammonia.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Everyone seems much better. Yellow tang barely has a rear fin left, but he's swimming around happily in the hospital tank with no obvious bacteria on him.

I'm fighting ammonia. Basically having to do a 75% water change every day (with copper and abx added to new water) to keep free ammonia nearly undetectable. I'm using the seachem ammonia test. Lots of Total ammonia.
Are you using the test or the alert badge?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The multitest.
I know they say that it is supposed to work with copper, not sure I am completely convinced.

Have you tried adding a bacteria product like Biospira?

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they say that it is supposed to work with copper, not sure I am completely convinced.

Have you tried adding a bacteria product like Biospira?

I've been adding stability, though I know this is not an "active" bacteria product. Do you think I'd get better results with biospira?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back