Seneye Cycling False or correct results?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine on overfeeding considering the amount left over
It is not the left over that´s the problem with N when feeding. Around 70-80 % of the N content in the feed will be excreted through the gills as NH3/NH4 0.5 - 2 hours after feeding. its a direct response to the feed

Sincerely Lasse

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be hard to trust this device. If you have rock and sand ph wouldn't go much lower than 7.5 unless something really acidic was getting put into the tank, even after it would go back up slowly.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@LRT @Lasse. can either of you think of any reason that bottled bacteria would change the pH READING (as compared the the actual value) in a tank with a Seneye? I cannot. Since I can't think of a reason - I don't believe its the reason for the pH. BUT - IF its the bottled bacteria affecting the pH - how does one trust the device 'at all'? What if there is a bacterial bloom?

Do either of you think it COULD be the addition of higher than usual levels of ammonia (with a tank startup using ammonia)? thats damaging the slide. I can't see how it could be 'the bacteria'.

Also in the OP's case - if he did not properly wet the slide, how does one trust the ammonia, etc either? (BTW - I also agree the ammonia is low) - it was just a general question.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT @Lasse. can either of you think of any reason that bottled bacteria would change the pH READING (as compared the the actual value) in a tank with a Seneye? I cannot. Since I can't think of a reason - I don't believe its the reason for the pH. BUT - IF its the bottled bacteria affecting the pH - how does one trust the device 'at all'? What if there is a bacterial bloom?

Do either of you think it COULD be the addition of higher than usual levels of ammonia (with a tank startup using ammonia)? thats damaging the slide. I can't see how it could be 'the bacteria'.

Also in the OP's case - if he did not properly wet the slide, how does one trust the ammonia, etc either? (BTW - I also agree the ammonia is low) - it was just a general question.
I couldn't tell you honestly. It must be something specific with particular bottle bac but have seen reports of other bottle bac doing similar wierd things with seneye. Im leaning towards on slide itself.
To be completely honest. Ive only ever used seneye as tracking for ammonia.
Peaks and Plateaus. I only trust that because I've confirmed with other kits.
I haven't really seen many folks reporting issues with ammonia and monitoring with seneye. It does need to be calibrated before slide expires is the only issue I've seen reported about ammonia and seneye.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and shrimp now been in tank over 24h, seem happy and healthy (touch wood).
Hey buddy. Do you have another slide you can soak and put in device?
Its 1 or 2 things. Device error or bottle bac toasted slide.
Super easy to troubleshoot with new freshly soaked slide. If ph doesn't correct with new slide.
Id contact seneye for replacement.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably order some more when this one runs out, at the moment cash is a bit dry.
Right on. It probably wouldn't hurt to send them an email about your ph issue. They may send you a new slide or replacement device. They usually respond within 24hrs.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. It probably wouldn't hurt to send them an email about your ph issue. They may send you a new slide or replacement device. They usually respond within 24hrs.
Do they have a very convenient email support address for that?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a very convenient email support address for that?
Yessir this is the one I use.
Screenshot_20211025-140049_Chrome.jpg

Different time zone but they are responsive as well as helpful.
Your device error is odd. If its not slide I feel like it may be glitch somewhere along the line with freshwater and saltwater switch in the software or device itself.
Either way they will most likely get you sorted out pretty quick.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn't tell you honestly. It must be something specific with particular bottle bac but have seen reports of other bottle bac doing similar wierd things with seneye. Im leaning towards on slide itself.
I haven't really seen many folks reporting issues with ammonia and monitoring with seneye. It does need to be calibrated before slide expires is the only issue I've seen reported about ammonia and seneye.
No not good enough - have you called Seneye? I have. have you researched what in fritz? I have - do your homework - then come back saying whats the issue - imho - you have an agenda slightly - you just like the Seneye. I asked you twice - I'll ask you again - as I believe has @Lasse. If you cant believe the ph - how can you believe the rest.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
either that or you're entirely wrong - it has to do with the total ammonia concentration added (again - possible - I have no idea). Brandon says everyone posts problem with ph with sneeze. but - we're supposed to believe the 'work threads' with ammonia. my question - Why?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either that or you're entirely wrong - it has to do with the total ammonia concentration added (again - possible - I have no idea). Brandon says everyone posts problem with ph with sneeze. but - we're supposed to believe the 'work threads' with ammonia. my question - Why?
Is this another one playing up?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i understand - it is a light beam that hit the disk - the reflection is proportional to the amount of NH4 (or pH) - the equipment calculate the reflection and convert to digital figures. The water must be in contact with the disk and in a interface between the light source and disk. If the water is cloudy or has too many particles - the reflection is wrong - wrong reading.

IMO - Seneye is a hobby test like the others.

Its right that you can´t automatically trust any test result at all - you always need to analyze whether your result is reasonable or not

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 0 agenda. Ive clearly stated my concerns about seneye in too many threads here especially when it comes to PH and Temp. My closest buddies are going to think that statement is entirely funny when they come across that. They know me and how I feel about certain things. Hopefully they get a chuckle.
Again I can tell you confidently ive done enough work with ammonia and seneye to know what im looking at and speak about based on my own observations.
Others report seeing same observations.
Are you saying we are all wrong and our work and observations don't count?
Some of us have actually done some work with the device lol
I'm trying to figure out your agenda.
Same bad stuff can be said about other devices by other companies. Plenty enough threads to go around that bash them all.
Do you just seriously hate seneye?
What makes you hate them so much as I haven't really seen you post that you've ever worked with one?

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convo seems to be devolving a bit guys! Lets not blow up OPs thread and threaten to add to confusion etc. You both have made good points from my perspective but don’t think you’re going to come to an agreement on some specific points right now.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One answer here.
Yes definitely believe the work threads.
Some really brilliant people doing the work in them. Cross referencing the results to other means of control and stuff. I also believe the earth is totally round because I see pictures of it taken from space.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back