Seneye Cycling False or correct results?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convo seems to be devolving a bit guys! Lets not blow up OPs thread and threaten to add to confusion etc. You both have made good points from my perspective but don’t think you’re going to come to an agreement on some specific points right now.
Totally agreed. I'm done. Apologies to @SC017 Hopefully my actual working knowledge with seneye helped make some sense to what your most likely seeing and gain a little confidence back.
Thats been my real agenda here. Ive seen everything thats been seen in this thread. I honestly wouldn't stress it to hard. Let me know what seneye says im super interested to hear the outcome:)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting reading from seneye itself.
Water conditioners can, will and absoloutely do effect seneye readings and ph. The film left on slide after the bottle bac process takes place is likely whats continuing to throw off the pH readings once its been used.
Screenshot_20211025-173817_Chrome.jpg

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can either of you think of any reason that bottled bacteria would change the pH
Actually thinking of a reason. I see a possibility how slide could of been "fried". Some bottled live bacteria use sulfur compounds to keep things alive. Seeing above how chloramines can bleach the slide. Well there is two types of bleaches. Oxidizing, and reducing bleaches. It is possible that the sulfur compounds acted as a reducing bleach on slide material. There could be both oxidizing, and reducing sulfur compounds at any given time in this bottle. Does turbostart 900 have a sour, or rotten egg type smell?

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does RODI water have a specific known Ph?

I could try using that as a test solution?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total pure water have pH of 7. But its only demand a very small imbalance between H (H3O) and OH to give a huge difference in readings. It is not possible to use it as a "standard" - IMO - you sneeze in it and pH change

Sincerely Lasse

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is consistent at 6.54 ph after resin. However I tend to agree. The best thing would be make a ph solution. Like 3 mole potassium chloride. It should be very close to 7.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRT well done, I know in the chemistry forum folks have discussed possible impacts but I dont recall directly seeing it in writing before. fantastic info relay.

unless these display animals keel over soon, about five pages of information/assessments here are seriously in doubt but only to readers.

all the follow up testing doesn't look like its out of fun here, the picture painted is that if you don't test and prove several different params, your animals might die. that's the unspoken undercurrent...

I read back a few pages, this cycler has not been taught resolve in any ready date they've been taught to reverify endlessly. Was curious to see how the coaching would go after a couple days

specifically was watching to see when an end cycle date was agreed upon.

I'm aware the OP isn't interested in testing claims from 'updated cycling', that test is still underway though and with each update we get to compare results here to stated risk for lack of testing.

what I'm looking for here isn't the safe start date to carry fish, that was assessed already-- its the date on which Lasse and MN fish agree this tank is simply able to ethically carry the intended starting bioload plus expected future additions. it would be nice to know when the OP can simply stop testing and enjoy the arrangement.

In reading up to this page I didn't see the cycle agreed ready and the pH work was for ongoing calibration. Any reader sees the ongoing testing as required before more animals can be safely added, it’s tied directly to the allowed start date on a reef already started and doing well.

ALL reef cycles have a twin on file already, there's nothing new in the cycling game.

we sure can align the outcome of the tank, and its ammonia drop date timing with about a thousand other cycles at least. watching to see when testing can be reduced and especially when completion concern can be eliminated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent some emails to Seneye and ongoing there.

In other news, heres a picture of my Cleaner Shrimps molt, if there is a parametre problem I don't think the livestock have noticed (yet).

IMG_20211026_194219.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1635371199986.png
I would most definitely let them know its saltwater. Link them to your build thread here as well and let them know these aren't typical readings regular seneye users see normally.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did inform them them it was saltwater, but did not link to the thread.

Now getting spots of brown appearing on the sand and rockwork.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those only appear after a basal and functioning layer of filtration bacteria are set and ready. page 2 status, reconfirmed.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did inform them them it was saltwater, but did not link to the thread.

Now getting spots of brown appearing on the sand and rockwork.
Right on it will be interesting to see response and how it plays out. At the end of the day I'd link them to thread as there may be important info they need to read here. Those PH readings are not normal and shouldn't be reading that way.

Wouldn't worry about the brown spots. Totally normal. It be a good time to add a good clean up crew. I like to add clean up crew up front to help with any foods that may fall unseen and lay around. Clean up crew will also help clean up on surfaces, straight away, where it really matters and before unwanted algae have a chance to dig in and take hold.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those only appear after a basal and functioning layer of filtration bacteria are set and ready. page 2 status, reconfirmed.
Not true as a rule. They are photosynthetic organism, probably diatoms and occur as fast it is enough of nutrients. light and temperature is there. Have nothing to do with a completed nitrification cycle or not

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
Back