seneye monitor

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new to reefing and i want to get a seneye to monitor my aquarium while im away at work at friend etc but i do not own a pc or any window device can i use and hookup a seneye to my iphone without a oc

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine hooked up to my old lap top but brs has video on hack to use air chip. @danieyella uses the air chip hack i believe. Not even sure if air chip is the right computer language haha.
Anyhow. What are you wanting to monitor?
Seneye is good for +- 1 degree temp swings throughout the day.
PH not very accurate at all. Last month my slide was reading .4 over what PH actually is. Changed out slide this month now its .3 under.
Par was within 15 par when cross checked to apogee. To me thats OK variance I don't see 15 par making or breaking anything in my system.
Ammonia im not sure. Considering the fluctuation on all the other params it monitors im highly suspect that ammonia is any closer at this point.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new to reefing and i want to get a seneye to monitor my aquarium while im away at work at friend etc but i do not own a pc or any window device can i use and hookup a seneye to my iphone without a oc
I used a plug in windows PC stick for $100, plugged it into the HDMI port on my tv to install & get it going. Then installed the app on my phone. Just have to use windows or something for the par feature past that.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also agree, not sure how accurate pH is; however, I'm using it to track fluctuation instead of actual pH.
Was just thinking. If you open setting on seneye table you can set your PH to match your pinpoint.
Have you done that to see if it fluctuates outside of that once its set?
Very interested to see what you see.
Would be great if you could "calibrate " it that way and if it stayed "calibrated " within reason.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just thinking. If you open setting on seneye table you can set your PH to match your pinpoint.
Have you done that to see if it fluctuates outside of that once its set?
Very interested to see what you see.
Would be great if you could "calibrate " it that way and if it stayed "calibrated " within reason.
Good call, I ordered the adaptor for my pinpoint, I'll check that out once it arrives

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned the pH is fairly inaccurate and the ammonia reads fairly close based on free ammonia calculators. pH drift is an ongoing issue with the Seneye and I find its fairly accurate for the first two weeks and then goes haywire regardless of trim settings after that.
I would pass on it if you can buy lighting that BRS has already established PAR readings.

For a sever I use a Rock Pi X which was a little cheaper than a stick and hopefully lasts longer for me.

OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine hooked up to my old lap top but brs has video on hack to use air chip. @danieyella uses the air chip hack i believe. Not even sure if air chip is the right computer language haha.
Anyhow. What are you wanting to monitor?
Seneye is good for +- 1 degree temp swings throughout the day.
PH not very accurate at all. Last month my slide was reading .4 over what PH actually is. Changed out slide this month now its .3 under.
Par was within 15 par when cross checked to apogee. To me thats OK variance I don't see 15 par making or breaking anything in my system.
Ammonia im not sure. Considering the fluctuation on all the other params it monitors im highly suspect that ammonia is any closer at this point.
I honestly don’t have something specific to monitor and I will be testing with other kits but the main reason I want it is for things like temperature fluctuation and to get a notification about it I can’t seem to find any other devices that will hook up to a device and then text or email me when something changes

OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a plug in windows PC stick for $100, plugged it into the HDMI port on my tv to install & get it going. Then installed the app on my phone. Just have to use windows or something for the par feature past that.
oh wow thats a great idea but i honestly still am getting use to reefing and learning alot so i still need work on PAR and how to read it but for now if i purchase the device i can hook it up to my cellphone? without any windows device i know i cant use par without the windows device

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have a dedicated windows device to act as a server for the monitor. Usually a windows tablet works or a method listed above. A cell phone won't work sadly. Seneye is fine for a par monitor, temperature does pretty well and ammonia can let you know if something dies (provided the cut off is low enough). Do you know how to solder? Reef-pi can do temp, ph and basic controller functions if you have a DIY attitude.

OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have a dedicated windows device to act as a server for the monitor. Usually a windows tablet works or a method listed above. A cell phone won't work sadly. Seneye is fine for a par monitor, temperature does pretty well and ammonia can let you know if something dies (provided the cut off is low enough). Do you know how to solder? Reef-pi can do temp, ph and basic controller functions if you have a DIY attitude.
i dont know how to solder but it would be interesting to learn im honestly up for any task but the usb windows device seems to be my best option even just money wise

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the same exact thing. 100 bucks on amazon

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back