SENEYE par meter? Reliable or not? Recommendations and success stories?

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’ve read and watched everything there is on the SENEYE par meter and need some guidance. I’d seen videos that claim it’s wildy high par readings and ones that debunk that. Some say only get a version 6 or newer but there’s no version listed on anywhere you can buy it.

I’m setting up 3 8x4 ft frag tanks and obviously need to get my par within an “acceptable” range for each tank as one is for softies, one for LPS and one for SPS.
Any advise FROM SOMEONE WHO OWNS AND USES this meter? Thanks in advance.

C963F903-2A3B-4AD1-8573-933DFE1D8ACB.png

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it for a short while. Did not seem to be very repeatable. Changing the sensor angle caused big swings in par readings. Replaced it with an apogee mq510.

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it for a short while. Did not seem to be very repeatable. Changing the sensor angle caused big swings in par readings. Replaced it with an apogee mq510.
Okay thanks. Yeah they do state it has to be perfectly flat to be accurate. It’s reading lense cannot read at any type of angle unlike other more expensive models.

Last edited:

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. It gets the job done. I also have noticed that you need to point it directly at your light for an accurate reading. This isn't that big of a deal though since you can rotate it around and you can see the high and low readings. I measured mine against a dedicated PAR meter and it was pretty close to spot on. I do think however that there's some variation between units from the factory so as long as you don't need it tighter than say, 10% - then it'll be fine. The par meter is useful when you need or want a par reading, and then you never really use it again. I find the most value out of the seneye with the web server (which is ridiculously expensive). But it's nice to get alerts sent to my phone no matter where I am. Power loss? Temp issue? pH issue? ATO failed or a tank leak? Yup, it's got alerts for all of that and it's already caught 3 mistakes which may have saved my tank from disaster. (once I tripped my GFCI and didn't know it - no heaters or flow, and twice I screwed up my ATO sensors causing my back chamber to drop to zero water - no flow, heat, and a potential for burned out equipment). It's worth noting that the PAR meter will works with an expired slide. So if that's your main use - you don't need to spend the money on slides.

Hope this helps!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used seneye a while back. I think it’s “good enough” to get a ball park reading- something like the apogee is more precise - but your going to use it only a few times and it will sit in the reefing junk drawer for the majority of the time.

just make sure you get the “reefing” one not the pond one. (If you get the pond one you will have to pay seneye extra to unlock the software that allows par measurements- but it’s the exact same thing) got one on eBay for $60 but was the pond version so spend another $60 to make it work lol- but still $120 for a seneye was not bad although $60 would have been better lol

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha k you guys. Does the package say reef or pond? I don’t see either on the boxes for sale.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back