Seneye Reef no more par reading unless you pay

jason7570

IG Riot_Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-install the software and turn off your virus protection software and it should work. The exact same thing happens to me about a month ago and worked fine after that. The only problem is that I have to turn off my norton every time I use it.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about these during the BRS sale, but that link that was just posted with the discount got my attention until I saw it was out of stock...

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really having trouble setting up the seneye. Does anyone know the number to call in the US?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thread title scared the crap out of me. Glad this was resolved with satisfaction. Love my Seneye and I do use it only as a light meter. Hope that ability never changes!

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just send them an email and they'll help you out. What's the issue?
I bought the seneye new about a yr ago but had trouble setting it up so gave up till now. Haven't got much farther. I bought the wifi but at this point I just want to measure par. I want to tank to seneye but the they only show a phone number outside the US.

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact customer service by email. They will fix it for you.

yep already did. still seems pretty bad that they don't come out of the box working the first time. I get that there can be faulty units, but in these cases they work fine just need a flag set in their firmware. More annoying than anything else. I'm sure the unit is fine otherwise.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep already did. still seems pretty bad that they don't come out of the box working the first time. I get that there can be faulty units, but in these cases they work fine just need a flag set in their firmware. More annoying than anything else. I'm sure the unit is fine otherwise.
Mine never messed up. Glad you got it working..

jason7570

IG Riot_Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run Norton antivirus you’ll need to disable it then reinstall the seneye software. I’ve have to do this 3-4 times..

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run Norton antivirus you’ll need to disable it then reinstall the seneye software. I’ve have to do this 3-4 times..

Disabling Antivirus should only be done if a problem is encountered with the installation. I do use Norton and have for 10 or so years I think. Not once have I had to disable it to install something. Occasionally I'll get a pop up about trust with the installer but you can allow it to continue. This application doesn't trigger any issue.

I'm sure they just need to flip a switch for my device at the back end, maybe late tonight (first thing Germany time) or tomorrow.

jason7570

IG Riot_Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I get my Norton free through xfinity so I’m sure it’s a downgraded version of what you have. Occasionally I’ll get that same “error” wanting me to pay, I just disable and reinstall and works for 3-4 months then I get it again. I have to disable my norton because it lists seneye app as a threat and won’t even let me open it. Clicking “ this app is not a threat” doesn’t do a thing. Good luck, I’m sure it’s something simple on their end...

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to get off topic but just feel like I should note this since so many seem to still use old school antivirus programs.. Honestly these days they're going to slow things down more than be useful with the current nature of viruses/malware...
http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...n_t_depend_on_antivirus_software_anymore.html
Reality is keeping your software/drivers up to date and a little common sense will do a lot more than any antivirus (ignore this if you're gullible enough to click on a phishing link... companies should train employees on this but I digress...)

Regardless, it IS best practice to disable all antivirus programs when installing new software. Source: bachelor's in Comp Sci - focused in Security.

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with mine seems like it’s a pretty common issue. I used mine once then didn’t use it for a few months. Went to use it again and apparently it was toast. Once I was able to get in contact with the US rep the issue was resolved quickly and they sent me a brand new unit.
Personally I wish I had just bought the Neptune par meter. I use iPhone MacBook and despise having to turn my old desktop on just to take par readings. It’s literally like an hour long process. Plus my desktop is in the other room from my tank so I have to run back and forth to take measurements. I’ll likely get my lights set and get rid of it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reality is keeping your software/drivers up to date and a little common sense will do a lot more than any antivirus
I agree but unfortunately, if you ever made a business in repair or tech support, relaying that advice would lose customers. There is no peace of mind and you can't stop husbands from adult sites. In the past, I actually had a client who thought I was hacking their computer due to that exact advice. They felt that since they didn't have a virus scanner, telling them of false or otherwise unimportant risk files on the daily, that I was getting into their system deliberately to cause issues for repairs. Seen it multiple times. Eventually, I gave up on the repair business. It was either resource heavy bloatware or why am I always getting these pop ups. It's amazing how creative people get with clicking links and opening risky emails.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back