- Review score
- +0 /0 /-0
Reef Pumpkin 21
R2R Secret Santa 2021Build Thread Contributor
I may enter this later this month, it would be a very interesting challenge for sure...
Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month
Sponsored by Avast Marine!
This month's subject - FTS under actinics
Deadline to Enter: Sep 30, 2020 at 11:59 pm (EST)
Looking forward to a colorful POTM this month and expecting amazing picture from all to do your tanks justice! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the coral has to be in your aquarium, or the ocean. would be even better if you also post a picture under white lights so we compare the tanks under different lighting (pic under white lights will not be considered in the choice of the wining picture.
This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
- experiment with orange filters and use the manual modes of your camera to deal with the blue lights.
- WB would be a critical factor to show the phosphrescence we see under blue light but yet not make things look fake.
-Shutter speed is also tricky with the lower light intensity of the blue lights, use ISO to help with exposure but watch out for noise.
-aperture is also critical due tot he limited lights which makes your DOF suffer, make sure to shoot from a bit far away to gain some DOF
-Fish colors won't show much under blue lights but pay attention to the timing of your shot to show fish out and in nice positions filling the tank. as shutter speed will be a bit on the slow side make sure to shoot when your fish ain't swimming too fast.
As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.
Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)
How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
- Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
- If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
- Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
- Entries must be submitted before the deadline
- Photo must be taken by you and in your tank or in the ocean
- You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
- Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
- In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.
As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.
#POTM #POTMWinners #MODS
I predict the winning image will be a tank full of coral... this contest excludes new tanks without actually saying it.. not a good or fair contest.
There isn’t much room for artistic creativity in a FTS. It’s pretty limiting. IMO. Other than that I think it’s a fine subject for some of us, but I’ll have to sit this one out. My FTS would be bad even if shot by the most skilled photographer. As always looking forward to the submissions!