Seperate tank for inverts?

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I was thinking about setting up a small tank for inverts i don't want in my tank like hermits or shrimp so i don't have to get rid of them. First, has anyone else ever done this? And second, if i put water and rock from my established tank in the new tank will that automatically cycle the new tank? Thanks in advance.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done that as a quarantine tank for corals and inverts. I just use sponge filter that I store in my sump and that instantly establishes the tank.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about setting up a small tank for inverts i don't want in my tank like hermits or shrimp so i don't have to get rid of them.
Why? CUC are there to clean up the uneaten waste that would otherwise settle in your rockwork and substrate and continue to break down over time.
First, has anyone else ever done this?
An invert-only tank? I'm sure they have... I have not personally.
And second, if i put water and rock from my established tank in the new tank will that automatically cycle the new tank? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the rock will certainly provide enough biofiltration for the Inverts you put into the tank. Some BioMedia from your main filtration will also work. Using the rock gives the added benefit of giving them stuff to eat while you figure out what you feed them regularly.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? CUC are there to clean up the uneaten waste that would otherwise settle in your rockwork and substrate and continue to break down over time.

An invert-only tank? I'm sure they have... I have not personally.

Yes, the rock will certainly provide enough biofiltration for the Inverts you put into the tank. Some BioMedia from your main filtration will also work. Using the rock gives the added benefit of giving them stuff to eat while you figure out what you feed them regularly.
I want to leave all of my snails in my tank, but my hermits and sexy shrimp seem to cause more trouble than they're worth. I don't have an algae problem right now and i only got sexy shrimp because i wanted variety. So, a separate tank where i can enjoy these inverts without them bothering my coral would be cool.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back