View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Newbie question.

JBJ heater and chiller.

Both have a cycle of +/- 1 F.

I want my tank to be 77 F.

What temperature should I set the heater and the chiller so they are not constantly fighting each other and I get close to my desired temperature?

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the temp of your house? That'd probably be more important. If your house is 70 then the chiller probably isn't that important at least in my eyes. My thermostat is at 70 I have only a heater and maintain 78.5 pretty steady

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything I'd set set chiller at 79 to avoid spike in heat but you don't want them to keep working against each other.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the temp of your house? That'd probably be more important. If your house is 70 then the chiller probably isn't that important at least in my eyes. My thermostat is at 70 I have only a heater and maintain 78.5 pretty steady

Good question. I'm going to start recording at different times of they day to see what the ambient temperature is around the tank.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything I'd set set chiller at 79 to avoid spike in heat but you don't want them to keep working against each other.

If a 75 to 79 F is acceptable, then I am fine.

Right now the chiller is set at 76 and the heater at 78.

Chiller kicks in at 79 and shuts off at 76 because of +/- 1.

Heater kicks in at 75 and shuts off at 77 because of +/- 1.

Jgeebs413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a 75 to 79 F is acceptable, then I am fine.

Right now the chiller is set at 76 and the heater at 78.

Chiller kicks in at 79 and shuts off at 76 because of +/- 1.

Heater kicks in at 75 and shuts off at 77 because of +/- 1.

Sounds kind of backwards in my mind I'd have the chiller at 79 and heater at 77 so if it got too warm chiller would bring down to 79 and if too cold heater would bring up to 77. I could be wrong but I think most people have house temp around 70 so you would be doing more warming then anything you don't want to warm up to have the chiller bring back down causing the heater to warm back up past the chiller set point. And then having a never ending cycle of up and down

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds kind of backwards in my mind I'd have the chiller at 79 and heater at 77 so if it got too warm chiller would bring down to 79 and if too cold heater would bring up to 77. I could be wrong but I think most people have house temp around 70 so you would be doing more warming then anything you don't want to warm up to have the chiller bring back down causing the heater to warm back up past the chiller set point. And then having a never ending cycle of up and down

You are right, I wrote it backwards.
  • Chiller is set to 78. Because of of +/- 1, when it hits 79, it will cool to 77.
  • Heater is set to 76. Because of of +/- 1, when it hits 75, it will heat to 77.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back