Setting up 16 biocube

new2reefing97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m new to saltwater aquariums I have a 16 gallon biocube cycling, looking for some anemones any help where to get them would be greatly appreciated, also any helpful tips etc

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m new to saltwater aquariums I have a 16 gallon biocube cycling, looking for some anemones any help where to get them would be greatly appreciated, also any helpful tips etc
I would recommend you forget about getting an anemone for a minimum of 6 months, 9-12 months would be better since you are new to the hobby. Anemones require an established tank with biodiversity and microfauna that takes time to establish. It is very rare for new hobbyists with immature tanks to keep anemones alive for any length of time.

In the meantime there is a lot of research and planning you can do to decide what type of anemones you want to keep and what livestock is compatible with them.

Anemones vary greatly in size, preferred location (sand, rocks, etc.), flow requirements, and lighting requirements. They also have significant differences in their likelihood of harming other tank inhabitants.

I LOVE anemones (purchased 8 this week)! So I get the desire, but after 4-5 years in the game, I also get that it really is important to wait.

Welcome to reefing and best of luck with your tank!

OP
OP
N

new2reefing97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the information, question if all I want is a pair of clown and some anemones and maybe other coral where’s a good spot to start after my tank is ready for live stock

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the information, question if all I want is a pair of clown and some anemones and maybe other coral where’s a good spot to start after my tank is ready for live stock
Depends. If you really love a certain type of anemone, I’d research natural symbiotes to pick the species most compatible with that type of anemone. Whereas if there is a certain type of clown you really want, then I’d research what its natural host anemones are. You are most likely to get a successful pairing with natural host/symbiotes.

The most commonly kept anemones (and one of the easiest species to keep) is the bubbletip anemone (often denoted by the abbreviation bta -bubbletip anemone or rbta -rainbow bubbletip anemone). But I really like carpet anemones and magnificas (aka ritteri). FYI, Mags are probably the most difficult anemone to keep.

Here’s an article with info on clowns and host anemones. There’s also a clownfish and anemone forum on this site.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, since you want a host anemone, don’t get a condylactis or rock flower anemones.

Here is some info on the most common clowns

OP
OP
N

new2reefing97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much one last thing is there an online store you recommend for coral I have one lfs that has a very small selection but have great fish thanks again
Depends. If you really love a certain type of anemone, I’d research natural symbiotes to pick the species most compatible with that type of anemone. Whereas if there is a certain type of clown you really want, then I’d research what its natural host anemones are. You are most likely to get a successful pairing with natural host/symbiotes.

The most commonly kept anemones (and one of the easiest species to keep) is the bubbletip anemone (often denoted by the abbreviation bta -bubbletip anemone or rbta -rainbow bubbletip anemone). But I really like carpet anemones and magnificas (aka ritteri). FYI, Mags are probably the most difficult anemone to keep.

Here’s an article with info on clowns and host anemones. There’s also a clownfish and anemone forum on this site.

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, since you want a host anemone, don’t get a condylactis or rock flower anemones.

Here is some info on the most common clowns
my tomato clownfish host my green tipped and my purple tipped condylactis

Attachments

• 58AD6F50-E9C1-49B2-B454-A20E6FD35CA9.jpeg
    58AD6F50-E9C1-49B2-B454-A20E6FD35CA9.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 19

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tomato clownfish host my green tipped and my purple tipped condylactis
Not to derail, but I have 2 clowns in a green tip condy too! So beautiful!!! :) I know they’re the exception, but I think I may have a friendlier condy lol I’ve even seen it gently reach over and check the mushroom corals for fallen pellets after feeding the fish, without stinging them haha so I think mine’s on the less aggressive side lol

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g and was gung-ho about the anemone too.

My advice? Cycle then get some rockflower anemones and sexy shrimp. Feed them, enjoy them, let your tank level out then at the 1 year mark add your BTA and clowns.
73503849-9742-4F7A-B26C-D37645923CC4.jpeg

Back