Setting up a 10g Frag Tank for my son

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I need a tank to house some frags I have to routinely take out of my main DT. I think my 11 yr old would love to have this in his room, so I'm hoping to set it up while he's at camp this week.

I had planned on using a Fluval Flex 9g I already have, but on a whim, ordered an IM Nuvo Fusion 10g that was on sale on their site. I then picked up a Reef breeders Nano LED light. This should be adequate for what I need (I don't currently have any acros, so its mainly softies and encrusting montis that I have to frag regularly).

I had initially thought I'd do bare bottom, and had asked about good fish to keep in the tank (literally looking for just 1 or 2 at most) and someone suggested a pistol shrimp and gobie. My son would love this so now I'm thinking I'll do that. I'm also thinking about doing some display macro in the tank in lieu of a refugium.

I'm thinking I may be able to get by without a skimmer which is good due to the limited space. I have a heater from my Fluval 9g I plan on using. Anything else I'm forgetting? I'll likely pick up some bacteria to get it going and have some frags I'll move over pretty quickly.

For the pistol shrimp setup, it was suggested to put the rock on the bare bottom, and then put sand in. Any setups to show designed for a pistol shrimp? I really only will have room for one main rock in the tank so what shape rock would be best? I do have rubble rock I use for softie frags, but I think one larger rock, as long as it only takes up one side of the tank would probably be better.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the MJ return pump should be enough flow for the tank (if not, I have a small powerhead I can throw in, but hoping it's not necessary due to space).

Also hoping I can operate without a doser too and just rely on weekly water changes with perhaps some mid week manual dosing.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pistol shrimp in the bedroom tank. It kept me awake at night with its clicking. Something to think about.
Hmmm...interesting point. My son is a fairly sound sleeper, but I am not so it would definitely keep me up. I've never heard how loud the clicking is though. His room is very small.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son came home from camp today and we got the tank set up. Once it’s up to temp and the water clear I’ll move some coral into it.

I can’t post a picture for some reason.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B844C229-409F-49F5-BF54-02A649F23E78.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back