setting up a 40 gallon breeder equipment help

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, I am setting up a 40 gallon breeder and I wanted some recommendations for equipment. I am trying to find a good heater for it and plan on getting a hang on filter for now and plan on buying to AI prime hds for lighting. Any suggestions to make it better or good brands for cheap/good heaters

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim makes very solid and reliable heaters. The Seachem Tidal HOB filters are supposedly very good (I haven't used them myself, but I'm always hearing good things about them). AI Prime 16HD lights are great, and if you use a Nero 3 for a powerhead you can control both via the same app.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2x Eheim Jager TruTemp 100w in a 40 breeder right now (mostly because people recommended them and they were basically almost free when I got store credit for a failed PetSmart heater under warranty).

*I see them on sale all the time for about $20 each

Be aware that the glass heaters are pretty long -- the 100w version is about as long as I could comfortably fit vertically. Pretty sure the 150w is even longer so doubt it would fit easily (in-tank) unless you mount horizontally.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not turn it into an AIO tank? I run one of these on a 40 breeder I'm using for a frag tank right now:

There's also a skimmer that fits in the middle compartment with my heater.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not turn it into an AIO tank? I run one of these on a 40 breeder I'm using for a frag tank right now:

There's also a skimmer that fits in the middle compartment with my heater.
i would but im kind of on a budget right now and dont want to spend too much money for the insert

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would but im kind of on a budget right now and dont want to spend too much money for the insert
Yeah,,, I liked the idea of that Fiji AIO kit too but didn't do it because:
(a. wasn't available yet
(b. still need to buy other stuff (...return pump, etc)
(c. lose useable real estate inside the tank

*plus I don't like the idea of having to deal with a filter sock,,, but sure you could swap it out for some other first line of defense (in that first chamber)

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim makes very solid and reliable heaters. The Seachem Tidal HOB filters are supposedly very good (I haven't used them myself, but I'm always hearing good things about them). AI Prime 16HD lights are great, and if you use a Nero 3 for a powerhead you can control both via the same app.
any good cheaper options for a power head?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any good cheaper options for a power head?
Probably a good idea to state your goals, in terms of livestock,,, and realitstic budget. I'm at -- fish and non-coral inverts looking to try a couple of beginner soft corals right now. (Maybe you too but just to make sure).

More budget-friendly options (than AI Nero) for powerheads that have been recommended to me are the cheaper Jebao and Hydor Koralia models but you'd have to consider what flow/turnover and options you'd really like to have.

*For the record, the only flow/filtration I'm running is 2 HOB power filters but I kinda stumbled into that,,, not necessarily what I'd recommend if you're starting from scratch,,, although it has served me well enough to this point, for the amount of effort/time/money I was willing to spend to get here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea to state your goals, in terms of livestock,,, and realitstic budget. I'm at -- fish and non-coral inverts looking to try a couple of beginner soft corals right now. (Maybe you too but just to make sure).

More budget-friendly options (than AI Nero) for powerheads that have been recommended to me are the cheaper Jebao and Hydor Koralia models but you'd have to consider what flow/turnover and options you'd really like to have.

*For the record, the only flow/filtration I'm running is 2 HOB power filters but I kinda stumbled into that,,, not necessarily what I'd recommend if you're starting from scratch,,, although it has served me well enough to this point, for the amount of effort/time/money I was willing to spend to get here.
yeah i was probably just going to do some soft corals and fish so ill definitely look at those two thank you

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit buying any heater made out of glass. Fluval makes a good metal one. Sicce makes good powerheads. I have a Tidal Filter HOB to use with my freshwater tank. It's easy to clean and can store any media. I have a 40 breeder setup also.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit buying any heater made out of glass. Fluval makes a good metal one. Sicce makes good powerheads. I have a Tidal Filter HOB to use with my freshwater tank. It's easy to clean and can store any media. I have a 40 breeder setup also.
i am probably going to get a tidal 55 and a fluval 150w

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mesh filter socks with polyfilter with my SW tank. Has worked out well. You don't mention what kind of a tank you are getting but I would encourage you to consider a sump.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mesh filter socks with polyfilter with my SW tank. Has worked out well. You don't mention what kind of a tank you are getting but I would encourage you to consider a sump.
im getting a 40 gallon breeder but i do not want to use a sump right now because of all the plumbing and stuff

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am probably going to get a tidal 55 and a fluval 150w
Seachem Tidal 75 is usually only like $10 more than Tidal 55 and has a bit more room for media, plus more flow. Just thinking aloud. (If I have to replace either of my power filters and stick with HOB, I'd probably buy the Tidal 75)

On heaters, I agree with Elaine123, I'd ideally rather have titanium over glass but mentioned the Eheim 'cause they're super cheap and seem to have a reputation for being reliable.

...leaving you alone now
Good luck and let us know what you end with when you're all set up.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Tidal 75 is usually only like $10 more than Tidal 55 and has a bit more room for media, plus more flow. Just thinking aloud. (If I have to replace either of my power filters and stick with HOB, I'd probably buy the Tidal 75)

On heaters, I agree with Elaine123, I'd ideally rather have titanium over glass but mentioned the Eheim 'cause they're super cheap and seem to have a reputation for being reliable.

...leaving you alone now
thank you! i will need to check the dimensions for the 75 because im not sure how long it will go into the tank because the breeder is wide and long but not as tall as others.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

...leaving you alone now
also! one last question, should i just get one wavemaker that can do around 2300 for a tank or should i get two that are around 1600

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! i will need to check the dimensions for the 75 because im not sure how long it will go into the tank because the breeder is wide and long but not as tall as others.
Tidal 75 will fit top-to-bottom easily (inside the tank). It has a telescoping intake tube that goes way shorter than what my 2 current HOB tube lengths (in 40B) are set at,,, if that's what you mean.

I'll defer to others on power head / wave maker suggestions.
Interested in seeing what you get and how you like it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back