Setting up a biorb pico reef

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short I ended up with a free biorb 30 and wanted to set up a little pico tank for some inverts and a coral or two.

I know the under gravel filter is trash but not sure where to start. Should I rely on just live rock and sand or will I need something else for filtration? How much and often should I do water changes if I’m going no extra filtering?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I excited to see a BiOrb reef. When I have kept small pico reefs I always used minimal or no filtration and just changed half the water once a week. With a tank so small it would take me 10 minutes or less so it was no big deal.

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I excited to see a BiOrb reef. When I have kept small pico reefs I always used minimal or no filtration and just changed half the water once a week. With a tank so small it would take me 10 minutes or less so it was no big deal.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm awaiting some supplies in the mail, but will update once I get her going! Yesterday I dissected the undergravel filter to remove it and sealed the bottom back together.

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biorb is up and cycling! I snagged a piece of live rock from the 40 gallon breeder to get going but am waiting for more dry rock to arrive in the mail and get the scape designed. My husband decided if I have my own biorb for corals that he needed to go buy a 16g bio cube, and we definitely don’t have enough extra rock for that one.
I’m curious to see how my no external filter orb will stack up against his all in one cube!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biorb is up and cycling! I snagged a piece of live rock from the 40 gallon breeder to get going but am waiting for more dry rock to arrive in the mail and get the scape designed. My husband decided if I have my own biorb for corals that he needed to go buy a 16g bio cube, and we definitely don’t have enough extra rock for that one.
I’m curious to see how my no external filter orb will stack up against his all in one cube!
Any update on this little Biorb?

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DBB83E2-DD4F-4231-B6B4-6E416F14372A.jpeg
I ended up adding a small canister filter to it, to help combat some nutrient issues I was having. And a few more little corals. The hammers are pretty bleached but I’m hoping they might come back now that everything is in check again.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DBB83E2-DD4F-4231-B6B4-6E416F14372A.jpeg
I ended up adding a small canister filter to it, to help combat some nutrient issues I was having. And a few more little corals. The hammers are pretty bleached but I’m hoping they might come back now that everything is in check again.
Thanks for sharing the pic. Mind also sharing what you do for water changes? Are you taking water from other tanks or mixing up brand new etc. I just started a couple pico's myself.

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the pic. Mind also sharing what you do for water changes? Are you taking water from other tanks or mixing up brand new etc. I just started a couple pico's myself.
we have a giant premix trash can of salt water (with a heater and wave maker in it) so I just fill a couple gallon jugs from that and pour it into the tank. I do about 50% water change each week, and a full clean out of the canister filter every month.

Back