Setting up a new reefer 170 - should I glue the stand?

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the instructions it’s built like an ikea dresser which eventually starts falling apart, and I’ve repaired them with glue.

Should I glue the Red Sea stand before I put the aquarium on it?

Thanks in advance!

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We glue all of the customer tanks with Gorilla glue wood glue. Makes it that much more sturdy. Takes some more effort upfront but we'll worth the time spent. Just be mindful of how much your going to put into the dowel holes to not have it squirt out and make a mess. Good idea to have some rubbing alcohol on hand to clean up any mistakes.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @jsker & @OCD_Corals !

My first step after unboxing it will be assembly of the cabinet / stand with glue.

I didn’t find any existing threads on here about glueing Red Sea cabinets before setup. Now we have some reference.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I put together something Ikea style, I always glue everything. As mentioned above, Gorilla glue works well, but plain ole carpenters glue works well. I use Tightbond #2. It's water resistant and cleans up easily with water when wet.
Fwiw, I am a cabinet maker by trade...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My first step after unboxing it will be assembly of the cabinet / stand with glue.

I didn’t find any existing threads on here about glueing Red Sea cabinets before setup. Now we have some reference.

The stands are flat packed for delivery with Euro hardware, gluing just take the process one step further.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I put together something Ikea style, I always glue everything. As mentioned above, Gorilla glue works well, but plain ole carpenters glue works well. I use Tightbond #2. It's water resistant and cleans up easily with water when wet.
Fwiw, I am a cabinet maker by trade...
Titebond works great, wasn't sure about using it for this though... thanks for the reply!

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just make sure you put it together in the correct order and the correct parts are used. once they are glued its not fun to correct any mistakes when you used the incorrect parts. I tend to lay all the parts out for the build in the order they are needed so as to mitigate any mistakes before they happen (Hence the username lol).

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up using Titebond #3, it was easy to wipe off any excess with a damp paper towel. I put a little bit in the dowel holes as I put it together.

Turned out real solid. Tomorrow I’ll put the front door on the cabinet and start setting up the sump and tank.

I’ll start a build thread... just wanted to report back.

969FED57-57F8-4FBF-8A2C-A3F175B30398.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back