Setting up a QT when velvet is in DT?

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have velvet in my DT and need to set up a QT ASAP but if I put filter media in the sump or DT it will surely get velvet attached, is this ok given I will be treating with copper or should I not do this?
The only fish who has survived long enough for me to get a tank to set up is my YW goby, it's only been 2 months since I started adding fish so didn't have many.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of a bio load with just one fish. I'd use freshly mixed saltwater and soak your filter material in something like BioSpira, Dr. Tims, etc. Soak the foam pad and add a mesh bag of ceramic media like Fluval's Biomax or Seachem's Matrix, also soaked to the HOB. Also add a foam bubble filter and soak the foam too. A powerhead aimed up at the surface where it's actively rippling the water's surface is good too. With a "chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe, you can use Prime to help with ammonia. But do not use Prime with ionic coppers like Cupramine.

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i had to do this i used seachem seed cuz you add it gradually. Just a sponge filter, pvc pieces, seed and weekly water changes. I had 3 fish in a 10 gallon and they all made it. Used cupramine for the velvet.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use cupramine personally, use copper power. Much safer.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all very much
You are very welcome. I keep media in my DT's sump 24/7 for quick hospital or QT setup. But it takes about 30 days or so for the media to become ready to use. In a pinch when time is of the essence, like for velvet, the bottled bacteria works faster.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very welcome. I keep media in my DT's sump 24/7 for quick hospital or QT setup. But it takes about 30 days or so for the media to become ready to use. In a pinch when time is of the essence, like for velvet, the bottled bacteria works faster.
Due to lockdown I've had to order everything I need for delivery so I have done that now and just hope I can get it all set up before my goby dies.
In future I will be treating all fish before putting them in and I will keep media in the sump just in case

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meanwhile, you can do freshwater dips to remove parasites from the goby. It will help its gills to better transpire oxygen. Just keep in mind, that any treatment involves risk.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back