Setting Up A Quarantine Tank and How To Quarantine Fish; A Guide

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
What means fresh water dip, just RODI and for how long, than low salinity that is again slow brought up, or from RODI direct to SG 1025?

scubadude

View Badges
Reaction score
I agree great info. I’m at the point where I’ve never had a quarantine tank,just now where to put it. I’ve changed things around and really trying to build up my dt. I’m setting up a quarantine tank. I’ve gotten luck over the years with just adding fish to dt. Don’t want to take any more chances

APrince62

View Badges
Reaction score
I plan on setting up quarantine tank at same time as starting my DT .....so I’m confused about getting sponge from DT to start QT? My plan for QT is a 20G with HOB filter With carbon media a power jet , heater, thermometer and ammonia alert badge. So what do I have to do before adding a couple fish to QT tank?

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
"Empty the tank of water and put the sponge(s) from the filter back into your display tank sump"

That would seem to defeat the purpose of the quarantine. There might be a chance to transmit latent disease to the display tank.

Cultivated Reef

Redrider

View Badges
Reaction score
2221F765-48FD-4712-B43C-13F6DB5F9A10.jpeg
Here’s my QT with its first real residents. I had to take the “permanent” damsels because the larger one was acting aggressive towards the flasher.
I wasn’t planning on removing them every time I put a new fish in.
Any ideas? I want it to be permanent in case I need to isolate a resident of the DT.

Specs

View Badges
Reaction score
Just curious what the thoughts are on using a rubbermade trash can as a QT? I have one that I use to use to mix/store water in but have since gotten storage tanks for that.

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Petco is having the dollar a gallon sale going on. I guess it's time for that cheap QT tank - plus I'm going to get start my sump build tank. Get new ones for the price of used!

zip70

View Badges
Reaction score
great info. I need to set up my QT right now. Thanks.

Do you use Instagram for reefing stuff? What’s your handle?

• Yes I follow people

Votes: 74 21.2%
  • Yes and I post reefing content

Votes: 72 20.6%
  • No IG isn’t for me

Votes: 183 52.4%
  • What is IG?

Votes: 20 5.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors