Setting Up A Quarantine Tank and How To Quarantine Fish; A Guide

1. ramona

ramona Active Member

What means fresh water dip, just RODI and for how long, than low salinity that is again slow brought up, or from RODI direct to SG 1025?

2. Flutt3rby3

Flutt3rby3 Member

:)

3. scubadude

scubadude Member

I agree great info. I’m at the point where I’ve never had a quarantine tank,just now where to put it. I’ve changed things around and really trying to build up my dt. I’m setting up a quarantine tank. I’ve gotten luck over the years with just adding fish to dt. Don’t want to take any more chances

4. APrince62

APrince62 Member

I plan on setting up quarantine tank at same time as starting my DT .....so I’m confused about getting sponge from DT to start QT? My plan for QT is a 20G with HOB filter With carbon media a power jet , heater, thermometer and ammonia alert badge. So what do I have to do before adding a couple fish to QT tank?

5. SMB

SMB Active Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

"Empty the tank of water and put the sponge(s) from the filter back into your display tank sump"

That would seem to defeat the purpose of the quarantine. There might be a chance to transmit latent disease to the display tank.

mahargkcin likes this.
  6. Redrider

Redrider Member

2221F765-48FD-4712-B43C-13F6DB5F9A10.jpeg Here’s my QT with its first real residents. I had to take the “permanent” damsels because the larger one was acting aggressive towards the flasher.
    I wasn’t planning on removing them every time I put a new fish in.
    Any ideas? I want it to be permanent in case I need to isolate a resident of the DT.

7. Specs

Specs Member

Just curious what the thoughts are on using a rubbermade trash can as a QT? I have one that I use to use to mix/store water in but have since gotten storage tanks for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted