Setting up a quick Hospital Tank

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My system is 3 years old, but I bought it used/running a few months ago. In retrospect, I wish I had started over instead of keeping it running for the few corals that came with.....

I added 2 clowns about a month ago. They have been great. No sign of illness or issues. They had been at the LFS for over a month in copper. Took the risk and just did a 2 part dip then added. This LFS just started a full quarantine setup where they go through full copper and meds for 30 days. Fast forward to 2 days ago, some of the first fish through their QT were on my fish list (mccoskers wrasse and RG basslet), so I decided to forgo my own QT since they've been "quarantined". Rookie mistake. Today, the Mccoskers wrasse has spots of ich, and a thin film on it. Haven't found the RG since I added... to be expected. So I decided I'm going to do it right and do the 75+ day fallow while treating the fish in my own QT. All fish are eating and behaving normally. Just visual symptoms.

I'll deal with the LFS later. For now I'm looking for some advice on my QT process given my fish list and symptoms.

pics will be hard since the symptoms are still small. trying to get ahead of this early.

Fish and symptoms:
Mccoskers wrasse
- ich spots
- thin film (maybe velvet)
- large white poop (is this normal)
Royal Gramma Basslet
- can't find. going to try and find him before the fallow period officially begins
Clowns
- stringy poop (first sign of it i've seen. tank is in my office and i watch them ALL DAY. also saw this one take a bite of the white wrasse poop...)

I'd like to try to treat for as much as I can while they're in QT, since it'll be fallow for a while. thinking about the standard:
- copper
- praziPro
- hyposalinity

My main questions are:
- Should I treat all in the same tank, or get smaller individual setups?
- Will a standard QT process be sufficient, or should I prioritize the order based on my symptoms?

I know this is a lot of info. Thanks in advance. Heading to petco to pick up the QT supplies shortly...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet doesn't have white spots. You could be dealing with brook due to the clowns or ich. Pics of the sick fish can help some of the experts on here. Proper ID is essential since treatment differs.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It definitely seems like ich. Ich and velvet both use copper as their main treatment right? and fallow period is longer for ich. So if I treat as if i have ich, won't that also treat velvet?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My system is 3 years old, but I bought it used/running a few months ago. In retrospect, I wish I had started over instead of keeping it running for the few corals that came with.....

I added 2 clowns about a month ago. They have been great. No sign of illness or issues. They had been at the LFS for over a month in copper. Took the risk and just did a 2 part dip then added. This LFS just started a full quarantine setup where they go through full copper and meds for 30 days. Fast forward to 2 days ago, some of the first fish through their QT were on my fish list (mccoskers wrasse and RG basslet), so I decided to forgo my own QT since they've been "quarantined". Rookie mistake. Today, the Mccoskers wrasse has spots of ich, and a thin film on it. Haven't found the RG since I added... to be expected. So I decided I'm going to do it right and do the 75+ day fallow while treating the fish in my own QT. All fish are eating and behaving normally. Just visual symptoms.

I'll deal with the LFS later. For now I'm looking for some advice on my QT process given my fish list and symptoms.

pics will be hard since the symptoms are still small. trying to get ahead of this early.

Fish and symptoms:
Mccoskers wrasse
- ich spots
Royal Gramma Basslet
- can't find. going to try and find him before the fallow period officially begins
Clowns
- stringy poop (first sign of it i've seen. tank is in my office and i watch them ALL DAY. also saw this one take a bite of the white wrasse poop...)

I'd like to try to treat for as much as I can while they're in QT, since it'll be fallow for a while. thinking about the standard:
- copper
- praziPro
- hyposalinity

My main questions are:
- Will a standard QT process be sufficient, or should I prioritize the order based on my symptoms?

I know this is a lot of info. Thanks in advance. Heading to petco to pick up the QT supplies shortly...
Pics or video under white lighting will be helpful for assessment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It definitely seems like ich. Ich and velvet both use copper as their main treatment right? and fallow period is longer for ich. So if I treat as if i have ich, won't that also treat velvet?
This is an assumption. Two tanks nearly wiped out this week due to wrong medication and diagnosis. Please help us help you by furnishing pics or video under white lighting. There's more to than dropping in copper and first verifying symptom/issue

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will do. Got the qt equipment but wont be starting treatment until tomorrow at the earliest. I’ll send some pictures for confirmation asap

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caught this picture earlier. Not very clear but you can see the white dots on the tail. There are more spots now towards the front dorsal area.

will try to get closer/clearer pictures before treating. He’s in hiding now.

Attachments

• BC764A3D-BE26-4832-842B-229BFD64CB5A.jpeg
    BC764A3D-BE26-4832-842B-229BFD64CB5A.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish and symptoms:
Mccoskers wrasse
- ich spots
Royal Gramma Basslet
Clowns

- copper
- praziPro
- hyposalinity

My main questions are:

You might consider swapping out the Prazipro for General Cure. The latter has metronidazole in it which can have some benefit in treating certain cases of mucus feces caused by protozoans.
Jay

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might consider swapping out the Prazipro for General Cure. The latter has metronidazole in it which can have some benefit in treating certain cases of mucus feces caused by protozoans.
Jay
Is there any benefit to doing rounds of both?

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The wrasse found a cave and stayed there 12+ hours. Thought he might be starting to show behavioral changes from his symptoms. He came right out during feeding this morning and the multiple white spots from yesterday are gone except for 1. The clowns are looking good as well. Hoping we can chalk up yesterday to overreaction. I will continue to observe, and send pictures with my questions if he gets worse. At least it was a wake up call to buy the QT supplies. Why is spending $100 on QT so hard to mentally justify when you have so much invested in livestock….

thanks everyone for the support and responses. I appreciate it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back