Setting up Fluval 32.5 Marine Flex reef tank for beginner SUCCESS! Here is what I'm working with so far...

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to you all. This is my first post. This is my first saltwater venture. This is my first reef tank.

I grew up with many freshwater aquariums but have been out of the hobby for over a decade. A recent trip to SeaWorld has left me feeling relaxed after being entranced by saltwater fish and I'm hoping to replicate that at home. I am trying hard to research like crazy, take my time, and set myself up for success. I would like to make the learning curve as easy as possible.

Here is the equipment I have already purchased, all of which is still shipping:
Fluval 32.5 Marine Flex
Fluval M150 Heater
Fluval Sea PS1 Protein Skimmer (I know people hate on this, but it is what I will be working with for now.)
Fluval Marine Spectrum 3.0 Bluetooth LED Light (included)
Hygger 1600gph WaveMaker
AquaticLife RO/DI Buddy Four Stage unit
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Reef Salt
Red Sea Fish Pharm Marine Care Test Kit
Amazon Salinity Refractometer
InTank Media Basket (Quantity: 2- One for each side of my AIO Filter system.)

I know I am looking to add 2 ocellaris, an algae blenny, assorted soft coral and a BTA for sure. Not sure on what else I am hoping for. I am not expecting to add any of this for several weeks or more depending on my cycle time. Really trying not to rush anything. Is there anything else I should be getting for sure? Any suggestions on the best set up for my two InTank Media Baskets? I'm trying to make the healthiest tank possible. Thank you all for the help in advance! I hope I'm starting off right..

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I too have the Fluval 32.5. I really wanted to “test” this nice AIO so I have only added a power head and heater and small UV light besides what “came in the box.” (I’m even using the much maligned foam filters that were included)
6 months in and just love the tank. 2 clowns, fire fish, goby snails and shrimp. All are doing great and I’ve started to introduce some soft corals. The zoas are growing quite well (5 polyps to 15 in about a month)
The light is not spoken well of but so far it’s been fine for me. The lid is tight and really decreases evaporation. But because it is so snug, the temp can approach 82-84 degrees on hot days so I do remove the back insert and this helps with temp.
I think you’ll love this unit and look forward to seeing build pics.

Attachments

• B5D92AAC-9983-4BEA-B754-814FBD0A9656.jpeg
    B5D92AAC-9983-4BEA-B754-814FBD0A9656.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 47ACE2C9-8BFD-4CA5-A720-5145C69693B4.jpeg
    47ACE2C9-8BFD-4CA5-A720-5145C69693B4.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 27C55E69-4632-473B-9EA9-2D8238E32A53.jpeg
    27C55E69-4632-473B-9EA9-2D8238E32A53.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I too have the Fluval 32.5. I really wanted to “test” this nice AIO so I have only added a power head and heater and small UV light besides what “came in the box.” (I’m even using the much maligned foam filters that were included)
6 months in and just love the tank. 2 clowns, fire fish, goby snails and shrimp. All are doing great and I’ve started to introduce some soft corals. The zoas are growing quite well (5 polyps to 15 in about a month)
The light is not spoken well of but so far it’s been fine for me. The lid is tight and really decreases evaporation. But because it is so snug, the temp can approach 82-84 degrees on hot days so I do remove the back insert and this helps with temp.
I think you’ll love this unit and look forward to seeing build pics.
Awesome thanks for the feedback! You’re fish look great. I’m really trying to overengineer my tank to make it as healthy and hardy as possible for the long stretch.

DJWright95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have a 32.5 freshwater by Fluval for our axolotl. That is the tank that got me interested in the marine version

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back