Setting up my first 72 gallon saltwater tank

Umbrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all, I know this post will probably be like tons of others, but I would like as much info as I can get. So I’ve been working with freshwater aquariums (mainly fancy goldfish) for many years, my best tank being a 90 gallon that I meticulously cared for with my fancy goldfish. I’m now looking to start my first salt water aquarium, and the amount of new information and things I need to know is staggering. I found a great deal on a 72 gallon bow front with a stand for 50 bucks. I originally wanted to go with a 40 gallon but I found that one in the local ads and jumped on it. I plan on doing a couple clown fish, maybe a single tang (tank might be too small), a few hardy smaller fish, and a few anemones. No coral yet, I want to try just the anemones out first before I jump into the hard stuff. I want to make this build as budget friendly as physically possible as I’m very short on $$, although I’ll buy whatever I need to have it run smoothly. In the past I’ve used canisters but I’ve been told they aren’t as good for salt water? I know I possibly need a sump, protein skimmer, live sand, live rock, heater, and all the testing equipment for salt. What is the best way to go about water changes? Do I mix the water and then leave it sit for a few days, or do I mix and then immediately add it to the tank after treating it? I know I also need a good light, but I have no idea what kind suits my needs. I’m basically just trying to get a number ($$) in my head to start saving, and a list for everything I’m gonna need. I’m picking up the tank today, but all the equipment is gonna take awhile, as I’m a broke 22 yr old. I appreciate any help given!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great size and tells me this a bowfront unit. Focus on filtration utilizing a hang on protein skimmer such as icecap K2-100 and a hang on media reactor with carbon and phos zorb

OP
OP
Umbrax

Umbrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great size and tells me this a bowfront unit. Focus on filtration utilizing a hang on protein skimmer such as icecap K2-100 and a hang on media reactor with carbon and phos zorb
If I got the skimmer and media reactor? Would those meet all of the tanks filtration needs, or would I need an additional filter as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I got the skimmer and media reactor? Would those meet all of the tanks filtration needs, or would I need an additional filter as well?
Additional filter would help as both a backup and added oxygen-water movement and sediment entrapment making up for lack of biological filter.
You have chemical and mechanical filtration covered

Back