Setting up my first frag tank. Need some help

Korallboden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I have been sitting for a long time and wanted to start my own frag system to sell frags in the future. I have considered for a long time and start a frag guy and now it looks like I will push myself in it.

I have never had a frag tank so I do not know how to proceed and what is recommended. I hope that all the nice people and the community on reef2reef can help me :)

I have seen a lot of video on youtube and read a lot but I still have some questions that I hope and get answers to here:

1: My plan is to buy a Waterbox Frag 105.4.
I do not have the opportunity to use living rock as it is not available where I live so the plan is to start with dead rocks and possibly siporax or Brightwell plates and have it in the sump. What would you do here and what would you do to get the tank optimal for a frag tank ?

2:My plan is to have egg crate to have frags on and then I want to have 2x gyre 330/350 as circulation to have enough circulation. Is this the right way to do it or would you have some rock in the aquarium as well?

3: The plan is to have some tangs, wrasse and inverts to keep the aquarium stable, add bacteria and not get parasites. Would you consider something else as well?

4: When the time comes when I will sell frags, how would you do considering that if I sell 20-30 frags at a time, quite a lot of water will disappear which again has to be refilled. When it is refilled, the aquarium will become unbalanced again. How would you solve this problem?

5:I'm very unsure of what to do about not being able to use live rock and that the aquarium will not have the right bacteria required for the corals to thrive optimally. This is something I have thought about a lot, so here I would very much like some input on how you would do this and how long it will take before you can have frags in it?
I am very afraid of losing frags or that they lose a lot of color if they are put in the frag tank.

The equipment I plan to use is the following:

2x Gyre 330/350
1x Teco 500
1xTitanium heater with Reeffactory controller
2x Philips Coralcare gen1

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back