Setting up new reef tank!

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be seeing up my new reef tank tomorrow, and will be using tap water to fill my tank. I have water conditioner, and reef crystals: reef salt for my water mix. My question is; should I mix my salt and fill my tank, and then condition my water. Or rather, should I condition each batch of my water before adding my salt mix? Any advice is MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,any way you can get access to rodi water,bottled distilled/drinking water for initial set up?
if not condition water before adding salt mix.. :)

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to avoid Tap water if you can. It’s more of an emergency use only as you have no control of what comes in with that water. It’s not worth the potential headache down the road.

OP
OP
Eddie.S

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ribo15 even with conditioning it first? Do the metals and such have a chance of reappearing from the tap? I just figured it would be better than buying many gallons of drinking water for my tank. I did that for my Evo that I set up. But it was only 13.5 Gal tank.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go with tap water only if you’re going to keep fish only and some invertebrates. You can condition the water after adding the water and then the salt. Problem with tap water is you’ll get huge amounts of algae. You’re tank rocks will be covered in green algae same with the sand bed.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bottled distilled will have 0 dkh ,drinking will have approx 7 dkh, will compile if only using drinking.
do not trust the fill your bottle machines.
rodi is best, or premixed saltwater from lfs...happy reefing

Back