Setting Up Tank Questions

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set my 125gal tank on Wednesday, 75 pounds of live rock, about 50 dry, and about 100 pounds of carib live sand. There are no fish in the tank yet.

1) I have what I believe is a bacterial bloom problem. It is a milky white slime that looks like a little blanket over parts of the rock. It can be easily knocked off and then the rock looks normal, so my understanding is that would hint it is a bacteria problem. I searched the internet (and this forum) long and hard...this problem seems slightly mythical. That being said it appears some people have used Dr. Tims refresh and waste-away to correct the problem. The theory seems to be the mass amount of bacteria on the live rock in a sterile systems creates bacteria competition issues. Of course I also had a wall plug-in air freshener 15 feet away that I forgot the wife put there, whoops, so that may also be to blame. I plan to go the Dr.Tims route and see how that goes.

2) With taking #1 into account I am unsure of the best route to take for cycling the tank. I have a protein skimmer, but am not currently using it during the cycling process. I have also not done any water changes. Below is some tank info:

Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 77 F
Ammonia - .25 - .50 API
Nitrite - .50
Nitrate - 5ppm - 10ppm

I have not added an ammonia source figuring the die-off from the live rock would suffice, at least in the first few days. The rock got to me in about 24 hours so it was in fairly good shape. Unsure if I should chuck some food or a piece of shrimp in there or just leave the tank alone.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your doing good so far, I would add more flow to the tank to help the bacteria settle a little better. This process should only take a month or two with your tank I would add 3 frozen shrimp in pantyhose to help with the cycling I would wait about two to 4 months before adding coral

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Welcome to R2R.

It does sound like a bacterial bloom- usually the concern here is oxygen levels can be depleted. But, since you have no fish, I don't think you have anything to worry about, just keep the return pump circulating.

I would throw a couple of fish food pellets, since you're going to feed your fish in the near future anyway, or put the classic frozen shrimp in there, for a few days.

But really, if you got some live rock shipped to you, I don't think you need to anything other than wait it out, it'll balance itself out in time. I would skip the Dr. Tims waste away or refresh products for now.

OP
OP
M

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Welcome to R2R.

It does sound like a bacterial bloom- usually the concern here is oxygen levels can be depleted. But, since you have no fish, I don't think you have anything to worry about, just keep the return pump circulating.

I would throw a couple of fish food pellets, since you're going to feed your fish in the near future anyway, or put the classic frozen shrimp in there, for a few days.

But really, if you got some live rock shipped to you, I don't think you need to anything other than wait it out, it'll balance itself out in time. I would skip the Dr. Tims waste away or refresh products for now.

Thanks for the response, I should mention I don't currently have a sump, so no return pump. However, I have two Hydor 3Gs and have one pointed upwards to create surface displacement. Additionally, opposite of the Hydor 3G pointing towards the surface I have a smaller Hydor that I solely got to create surface displacement. Once I have the HOB protein skimmer running I plan to move the smaller powerhead where there is an area of weaker flow.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also use a cannister filter, not very popular in the salt world, but if done correctly, it can look really slick. MikeyMikeMike on youtube has a killer reef, and he's running a cannister filter. The one he uses even has a compartment to hide a heater, and the hose/tube that enters the tank is glass, so, you can't even see it.

Henrique A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set my 125gal tank on Wednesday, 75 pounds of live rock, about 50 dry, and about 100 pounds of carib live sand. There are no fish in the tank yet.

1) I have what I believe is a bacterial bloom problem. It is a milky white slime that looks like a little blanket over parts of the rock. It can be easily knocked off and then the rock looks normal, so my understanding is that would hint it is a bacteria problem. I searched the internet (and this forum) long and hard...this problem seems slightly mythical. That being said it appears some people have used Dr. Tims refresh and waste-away to correct the problem. The theory seems to be the mass amount of bacteria on the live rock in a sterile systems creates bacteria competition issues. Of course I also had a wall plug-in air freshener 15 feet away that I forgot the wife put there, whoops, so that may also be to blame. I plan to go the Dr.Tims route and see how that goes.

2) With taking #1 into account I am unsure of the best route to take for cycling the tank. I have a protein skimmer, but am not currently using it during the cycling process. I have also not done any water changes. Below is some tank info:

Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 77 F
Ammonia - .25 - .50 API
Nitrite - .50
Nitrate - 5ppm - 10ppm

I have not added an ammonia source figuring the die-off from the live rock would suffice, at least in the first few days. The rock got to me in about 24 hours so it was in fairly good shape. Unsure if I should chuck some food or a piece of shrimp in there or just leave the tank alone.
I'm also new to the hobby, my aquarium is only 2 months old, but I've already gone through the cycling phase. in my little experience, I think a functioning skimmer is essential, this boom of bacteria will consume oxygen in a short time and end up dying and degrading the quality of the water. the skimmer helps to clean the water and oxygenate

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I have what I believe is a bacterial bloom problem. It is a milky white slime that looks like a little blanket over parts of the rock. It can be easily knocked off and then the rock looks normal, so my understanding is that would hint it is a bacteria problem.
Is your water cloudy at all? Do you any pictures to share?

Did you rinse the Dry rock? How about the the live rock? Sometimes it’s full of silt that can cloud up and settle later.
I think a functioning skimmer is essential,
I used to think the same! Skimmer is not essential equipment. There are a bunch of reefers who have great tanks without a skimmer.

Last edited:

Henrique A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your water cloudy at all?

Did you rinse the Dry rock? How about the the live rock? Sometimes it’s full of silt that can cloud up and settle later.

I used to think the same! Skimmer is not essential equipment. There are a bunch of reefers who have great tanks without a skimmer.
yes that is true, but in this particular case the skimmer would help to clean the water and oxygenate, when there is a boom of bacteria the oxygen levels drop a lot...

OP
OP
M

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water was fairly cloudy. Partially due to unwashed live sand, but the cloudy water seemed to get worse with the white stuff growing on the rocks. I opted to hook up the protein skimmer two days ago because the amount of gunk in the water and on the surface was pretty nasty. Before doing so I couldn't really see the far side powerhead, but now the water is fairly clear looking through the tank. I did this after buying a Seachem ammonia alert badge and it showing zero ammonia even with all the die off from rock and the raw shrimp. I am guessing due to the live rock the ammonia has been zero the whole time.

You can see the white slime film in the picture from the front. It is in the middle and slightly to the left. It doesn't really adhere to the rock, except on the outer edge. The powerhead makes it move and it is more like a little tent.

Of course now I have what I imagine is probably diatoms starting to grow (or at least I hope it isn't cyano or dinos). This started up the day after the skimmer was added, started on live rock and is slowly going to dry rock and the sand. I somewhat expected an algae bloom because I have kept the lights on for 10 hours or so per day. I wanted to keep my hitchhiker corals kicking, notably the gorgonian that can be seen and whatever the brain-like coral is that I am not entirely sure is...that later has been coming back to life the last few days. I also enjoy all the macro-algae on the rock, but deeper research tells me they are all doomed as every fish I will get will munch them to non existence...so I am not as worried about saving those anymore.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 29

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water was fairly cloudy.
Not that bad now. Looks good. Little bit of activated carbon might help clear it more.

showing zero ammonia even with all the die off from rock and the raw shrimp. I am guessing due to the live rock the ammonia has been zero the whole time.
That’s good looking rock with all the necessary bacteria. Mind if I ask where you found it?

You can see the white slime film in the picture from the front. It is in the middle and slightly to the left.
I saw something similar in one of my established tanks. I figured that some kind of creature left it there. Lol
Of course now I have what I imagine is probably diatoms starting to grow (or at least I hope it isn't cyano or dinos)
Is this your first tank? If not then you really have done your research! Well done! Plans for clean a CUC yet?!! See any pods crawling on the glass?

OP
OP
M

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that bad now. Looks good. Little bit of activated carbon might help clear it more.

That’s good looking rock with all the necessary bacteria. Mind if I ask where you found it?

I saw something similar in one of my established tanks. I figured that some kind of creature left it there. Lol

Is this your first tank? If not then you really have done your research! Well done! Plans for clean a CUC yet?!! See any pods crawling on the glass?
It is from GulfLiveRock.com. I had to go with the premium as the standard was not in stock at the time. I was surprised with the die-off as I paid up to overnight ship it. A few bristle stars that didn't make it, a crab that died, and quite a few bristle worms were dead. The macro algae is pretty cool, but again, my future fish will make that a quick snack down the road. I haven't seen any bristle worms, but I imagine some survived the trip. I looked under the tank and there are these really thin red worms in the sand. I have tried looking up what they are to no success. Unfortunately the only pods I have seen a parasitic/predatory ones. The two I have seen I was lucky enough to catch and get out. Disappointing, but I suppose that is part of the risk with live rock. Also appears to be some aiptasia I will have to take care of.

It is my first tank, I have wanted one for years and just never had the time/space for it. So I have off and on researched for a number of years.

I plan a Reef Cleaners CUC, hermits and snails. I wanted crabs too, but the potential headache they can bring doesn't seem worth it unless I get a massive hair/bubble algae outbreak. Unsure of how much to start out with. Obviously I don't want to get a 125gal clean up crew as the system doesn't have that kind of load yet. 20gal or 40gal crew to start seems somewhat logical?

The white stuff continues to lessen and I haven't seen it pop up in any new spots for a few days...so hopefully that ugliness will soon be behind me.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get hermis if you plan on getting SPS. My hermits would constantly climb my branching Monti and break the branches off. I did rehome them all and now I have many frags. I also have 300+ snails I got from reefcleaners a few months ago and will be getting my next order of snails only. All this for $65 and free shipping. I have a 75 gallon tank.
Qty Product Name
60 Zig Zag Periwinkles
5 Cortez Cerith
40 Dwarf Cerith
5 Florida Cerith
4 Marginella Snail
4 Nerite Snail
5 Ninja Star Snail
5 Trochus radiatus
2 Turban Snails
6 Virgin Nerites

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the small snails will cover the glass at night and start to hide when the lights ramp up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back