Settings for ViparSpectra 165w in 55g?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those corals you listed are not very light demanding so with the Visparspectra 165w, mounted 13” (I think that’s the height you set) you don’t want to over light the tank.

Set blue to 20-30, then add in white from 1-10 until it looks as you want it to in terms of colour.

You can and will move higher, but has to be done, so super slow, say increments of 1or2 every two months or so.

If I remember correctly, the 55 is long, tall but thin, and if that’s true, you can’t really go too high or the light will spill outside the tank.

Use intensity to compensate for height.

The Nem finds his own spot, where conditions are best.

Maybe that helps.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Those corals you listed are not very light demanding so with the Visparspectra 165w, mounted 13” (I think that’s the height you set) you don’t want to over light the tank.

Set blue to 20-30, then add in white from 1-10 until it looks as you want it to in terms of colour.

You can and will move higher, but has to be done, so super slow, say increments of 1or2 every two months or so.

If I remember correctly, the 55 is long, tall but thin, and if that’s true, you can’t really go too high or the light will spill outside the tank.

Maybe that helps.
It does thanks so much.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Maybe that helps.
I got a hammer and mushroom today. Do these light settings still apply? Thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, don’t change light settings ever.
Put them on the bottom to start, then you can move the hammer upwards, half way if you want, but it can do well low as well. Mushrooms bottom.

Wyatt57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 55 gallon new tank. Just two Clowns and a Yellow Prawn Goby now. The guy at the lfs suggested these lights to me. One question can these lights be connected to a controller to make these ramp up and down?

20220905_100420.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back