Seven Months in... this was supposed to be the girlfriend's tank, but I think Ive been enjoying it more

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current FTS

20200712_155011.jpg

It's been a strange ride up to this point. This started out because my girlfriend was talking about getting some fish. The bug bit me pretty well, too. She gets her acans, fish, clams, and zoanthids, but I've definitely bought in pretty hard myself.

I've killed plenty of corals owing to rookie mistakes. Light shock, dipping when there was no need to dip, not calibrating the refractometer, and not thinking enough about flow for more sensitive LPS.

There's still quite a bit of rockscaping work to be done. Bommies are too close to the walls, and we've got a good thirty pounds of rock to fill things in and build upwards once the foundation here is shuffled around and glued in place.

MrLafogata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re doing better than me and I’m a little over a year! Tell me your secrets xD

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re doing better than me and I’m a little over a year! Tell me your secrets xD

High nutrients, dozens of snails, some crabs, and a lot of tinkering.

Lately I change 20% of the water every week, but this change has done more harm than good on the whole.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many snails would you suggest a gallon?

We've got between 6 and 10 turbos, 20 astreas, 12 - 25 nassarius, and 20 or so bumblebees. Figure a snail per gallon?

The high nutrients seem to afford a degree of safety. Were it not for the heavy CUC, we would have some algae to contend with, im sure.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!!!

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201006_181656.jpg

Still running fallow, I moved some pieces around and I've been working on dialing in the chemistry.

Getting comfortable with pro photo settings and lightroom is making for better pictures.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back