ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d I do? There’s something to this bacteria

16DD6358-33F3-4C0A-A6B2-1288DF431052.jpeg

And, here’s a shot with a real camera:

My philosophy has always been heavy nutrition in, heavy nutrients out. I want to give the corals access to as much food as possible, without fouling the system or breaking the bank. The bacteria Helps in that regard.

The Zeovit reactor has been a game changer for me. It allows for a renewable and near limitless amount of food in the form of bacteria to be available for the corals. At the same time, the bacteria, multiply in the reactor, reduce the overall nutrients in the system to help keep it looking pristine.

Once per day, I will agitate the zeolites in the reactor, releasing a storm of bacteria that will cloud the display tank. There is a video on my Instagram page @Reefsite demonstrating the effect.

There are also some other things I am doing now that I have not done in the past.

1. The Radion G5 lights have been incredible. The color rendition, coral growth patterns and overall growth are a testament to how well these lights work. The G6 models have me intrigued, but it’s not worth an upgrade for me as these lights are doing a fantastic job. I’ll run them until they give out. If anything, I may add one of the new AI Blades to the front of the tank as my larger corals are starting to shade out things at the bottom.
  2. Flow. Random and heavy flow is key to coral health and growth. If you think you have enough, add more! I am currently sitting at 120X flow in my system and plan to add another Ecotech MP40 in the future. As the corals grow, they will reduce overall flow in the system. The corals need the flow to bring nutrients while also washing away waste. Before you spend big bucks on lighting, controllers, etc make sure you have the proper flow.
  3. Tropic Marin All for Reef. Between this current setup and a smaller office one, i have been dosing AFR for three years now with great results. It has allowed for me to reduce my water change schedule as I am confident that the reef is receiving all major and minor elements. Best of all, it’s in one easy to dose solution.
  4. Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance. I have been carbon dosing for decades now, and for the first time ever I have no issues with cyano or any other weird slimes in the reef. In the past, when carbon dosing there would be times I would have cyano outbreaks. Now, in combination with the DIY Pro Coral Snow I have never had slime in this tank. The Bacto balance also includes the K+ elements and phosphate/nitrate in the correct ratios. If you’re carbon dosing then there is no better solution out there.

5. kalkwasser. Every successful system I have run has been topped off by kalakwasser. It’s almost criminal how cheap and effective it is in maintaining you elements and ph. I would not run a system without it. I use a Tunze Calcium dispenser that is fed by a Tunze Osmolator that draws fresh water from my reservoir in the sump.

6. Bacteria. This is the foundation of my system. It ensures that things remain in balance by reducing nutrients, outcompeting algae and slime, and feeding my corals. biodiversity os extremely important so ensure that even if it’s a small piece, that you have some actual live rock, preferably from the ocean, in the system. There is a good thread here on the topic: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-driven-system-a-recipe-for-success.918102/
  7. DIY Pro Coral Snow. This helps to maintain clear water while driving cyano away. More information here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/extreme-water-clarity-and-cyano-eradication-made-easy.916381/
  8. PH target of 8.4. There is much to say on the topic, but I won’t be able to delve into all the details here. Suffice to say that if you want to maximize coral growth then you will need to target 8.2-8.4ph. I do not buy the 7.8-8.2 range recommendation. Yes, that range will work for maintaining a reef but if you absolutely want the best growth then you need to dial up the ph.

9. Feed. To maximize growth and health of corals you will need to feed, and feed heavy based on you fish load. In conjunction with carbondosing, feeding heavy will ensure that you are providing the maximum amount of nutrition to the system. Too many folks go heavy on the carbon dosing while neglecting to feed in the same ratio, starving out the system.

10. Nature. Let nature take its course. Stop tinkering and changing things in the system. Allow for the system to settle in, go through its phases and run its course. People are sometimes flabbergasted that I do not test. Other than the PH and temperature, I cannot tell you what my parameters are. Years ago I learned that chasing numbers was a fools errand and caused more harm than good. I don’t recommend this to novices, but if you have some successful reefs under your belt you need to learn how to observe the system and make adjustments as needed. For nutrient control, I simply keep and eye on the sand and glass. If they are getting dirty as a quicker clip then I will increase the carbon dosing while maintaining the amount of food fed. If things are too clean I will increase my feeding. As for the elements, I will keep a close eye on coral growth and determine from there if I need to check the levels. I have the test kits on hand but have only used most of them once, when setting up the system. ALK will be checked if I believe there to be an issue.
My current dosing schedule can be found below.

Daily
3ml Np Bacto Balance
100ML All For Reef
Kalkwasser top off
Lugols Solution: Four drops
Zeolites shaken

Twice per Week
Zeobak: Six drops
Zeofood+: Six drops

Weekly
DIY Pro Coral Snow

-Sonny 4D4D2940-8E42-425C-A934-CA0C1EB11F08.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is the biggest contributing factor to your success?
I would say it is the bacteria. For me, and as other have witnessed throughout my years in the hobby, the main factor has been carbon dosing and leveraging bacteria to feed the corals and keep nutrients in check.
Impressive. Is this a tank you are dosing bacto balance?
Correct.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is the bacteria. For me, and as other have witnessed throughout my years in the hobby, the main factor has been carbon dosing and leveraging bacteria to feed the corals and keep nutrients in check.

Correct.
I bought the TM products but hesitant to use them because I like my mini ecosystem refugium. I am dosing reef actif once a week though and so far has not affected my chaeto.

What setting program and intensity are you running your radions at?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely stellar!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How’d I do? There’s something to this bacteria

16DD6358-33F3-4C0A-A6B2-1288DF431052.jpeg

And, here’s a shot with a real camera:

4D4D2940-8E42-425C-A934-CA0C1EB11F08.jpeg
Impressive- This bottom picture is what many of us dreamed of and got into the hobby- Well done.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back