Severe Looking Mark and Growth on Royal Gramma's Face

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma has a pretty severe looking mark on it's face. It started out as a dark grey looking scar and gradually turned whitish yesterday. Today it almost looks like there are tiny growths inside the cut or mark. Poor fella is scratching like crazy on the sand so I almost feel like the growths are actually sand grains. Anything I can do for the little guy?

20180217_153912.jpg

20180217_153842.jpg

20180217_153732.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short, high-resolution macro video of the guy? Might help see what is going on better....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pull him out and QT?

Whatever the underlying reason is, I'm pretty sure that is getting infected.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pull him out and QT?

Whatever the underlying reason is, I'm pretty sure that is getting infected.
I'd have to tear the whole tank apart and my girlfriend is using my QT tank for something currently.

I'm currently feeding him some LRS reef frenzy soaked in Selcon in an attempt to keep his immune system in good shape, still eating like a champ despite the issue with his face.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to tear the whole tank apart and my girlfriend is using my QT tank for something currently.

I'm currently feeding him some LRS reef frenzy soaked in Selcon in an attempt to keep his immune system in good shape, still eating like a champ despite the issue with his face.

In addition to what you are doing, I would soak Kanaplex in his food. Also use Seachem Focus to bind it.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to what you are doing, I would soak Kanaplex in his food. Also use Seachem Focus to bind it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll get on that ASAP

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, managed to find the Kanaplex but no luck on the Focus. I've got LRS Reef Frenzy, Chopped Squid, PE Mysis Flakes, and some other flakes. Which food would be best without the Focus?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, managed to find the Kanaplex but no luck on the Focus. I've got LRS Reef Frenzy, Chopped Squid, PE Mysis Flakes, and some other flakes. Which food would be best without the Focus?

The focus binds the kanaplex to the food and makes it reef safe. Without that you run the risk of the kanaplex leaching out of the food into the water to play havoc with your inverts/corals. The alternative is a QT, and I get that catching him will be a pain.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus binds the kanaplex to the food and makes it reef safe. Without that you run the risk of the kanaplex leaching out of the food into the water to play havoc with your inverts/corals. The alternative is a QT, and I get that catching him will be a pain.
Thanks for the info. I may try to trap him tomorrow. His hiding hole is the biggest rock in my tank so there's no easy way to get him out. If the mark is bigger tommorow or he stops eating I will break down the rock and get him into a QT tank of some sort.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I was able to find with a quick google search (and I mean the ONLY thing) says that it is a water clarifier or conditioner. Not a binder.
I wasn't able to find anything on it while at the store but the packaging states that it is for increased effectiveness of medicine and vitamin addatives, sort of a similar claim to Seachem focus. The packaging looked old so I decided not to bring it home, it only cost like $4 or something at a Chain store known for inflated prices.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to find anything on it while at the store but the packaging states that it is for increased effectiveness of medicine and vitamin addatives, sort of a similar claim to Seachem focus. The packaging looked old so I decided not to bring it home, it only cost like $4 or something at a Chain store known for inflated prices.

Hmmm. We should probably wait for humble on this one. He's more familiar with some of these weirder things.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried SB Reefs? They might carry Focus.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been to the one in Ft Walton. Looks like a great place to get some diseased fish to experiment on. :D
I guarantee it! Learned too many lessons with their fish and corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tore the tank apart and got the little fella out. Said some choice words a few times. He's now in an old Betta Aquarium (3.5 gallons, I believe) with some cycled liverock. Currently waiting on the poor guy to settle down before trying some Kanaplex soaked food. The marks on his head have grown some more and his eratic scratching has eroded a but more skin around his nose and eye :(

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I had to put the poor little guy down last night, I couldn't take watching him suffer anymore. The fungal/bacterial infection/growth was eating into his skull and had completely eaten off his upper jaw and nose. There was no tissue at all between his eyes. He had not eaten anything since Monday so I started adding kanaplex to the water as the instructions stated. I did manage to get some Focus in but it was too late since he wouldn't eat the treated food.

Hopefully whatever this stuff was sticks with the one fish, all of my other fish look completely fine. I will keep a close eye on them and immediately QT them if anything out the ordinary pops up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back