Severely Cloudy tank/ sudden nitrite&nitrate change after NOPOX

Proax9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was given a 40g bredder aquarium from my son. Some live rock and 2 fish. Fluval 306 filter. No protein skimmer. pH 7.8-8.0 Ammonia 0, Nitrite-0, Nitrates were OFF the charts 160 (+).
Did 10 gal, then 15 gal then 20 gal water change over 3 days. No change in nitrates at all.
LFS recommended NOPOX 30 ml/day. Gave last of 3 doses this morning. Came home 9 hours later to tank so cloudy can't see to back of tank, or see the fish.
Water tested ph 7.8 ammonia 0, nitrites 5, nitrates 10. what the heck happened? Next steps...?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why haven’t you read the instructions? That dose is way to high for Your tank size. I would recommend move all the fish to a quarantine system and increase water flow asap.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Proax9

Proax9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I questioned the dosage I was told in the store- the owner of the lfs said- 'listen to me- you need 30 ml daily". Guess I learned a hard lesson who not to listen to.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BACTERIAL WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN TRIGGERED BY NOPOX (oops on the caps). When a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies is generated and becomes suspended in the water and in turn grows so quickly that it becomes more visible causing the water to become milky and hazy in appearance due to a nutrient increase in the water especially nitrates and phosphates, so check those two.

What some dont know, in a newer tank, use of NoPox can triggers blooms but mainly . . . . . When there is a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies that builds and becomes suspended in the water and grows at a fast rate, it becomes more visible causing the water to become milky and hazy in appearance due to an increase in nutrients especially with nitrates and phosphates, so check those two. Can also be poor filtration, not movement, overfeeding and even your water source especially if RODI filters are nearing end of useful life.
If the bacteria does not get enough oxygen, this issue begins

Last edited:
Upvote 0

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too much. Just for reference, I dose 6 mL NOPOX daily in my 45g, all while staying on top of NO3 and PO4 to make sure nothing bottoms out, and also to see the progression.

You need to run a skimmer when you carbon dose, which you are not doing. Where is the bacteria to go?

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back