Severely neglected tank, how to restart?

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a large water change with matching salinity/temp and siphon out the sand... either rinse the sand in tap forever until clear or add new sand. You can do this in multiple water changes if that is what it takes to get the sand out.

Manually remove what algae you can, add some CUC and some female emerald crabs for the bubble algae.

Fixing this problem is pretty easy in smaller tanks.

I see no reason to start over... if you started with new acid washed rock... you would just reset yourself back to the ugly phases where most get algae anyways.

Just to clarify, when you say siphon out the sand, do you mean physically remove the sand and replace it, or just remove detritus from the sand?

I think on my initial go with this tank I went way overboard with trying to micromanage everything. I was dosing carbon, and i essentially scrubbed all nutrients from my tank, had zero algae, but my corals were struggling. Then i stopped dosing and things started to rebound, but i got freaked out by having some algae in the tank and started dosing again.

It's a shame because i did have some corals that were doing well. Had a beautiful gold torch coral that was thriving. Mushrooms are either really hardy or I had a good setup for them cause they were growing like crazy. I was never able to grow acros though, they bleached out and died within days, same with my scolys, they kept receeding. When i couldn't grow acros I just kinda gave up and let the tank go to crap.

I think I need a more simple approach this time.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ripped cleaned my my 20 gallon nano all in a few hours 100% changed the water and rinsed the sand 100+. I had really bad cyano/dinos and bad water all around I did a complete rip.

tank went from this
2A07CA70-E16B-41A3-A0EE-6F03DD02B500.jpeg

to this
AE851FCA-F6F3-4031-972E-E29C15436A80.jpeg

There is tons of bacteria on the rocks.
This is true. If you leave the rocks alone the bacteria will survive. I thought ripped clean meant you take out the rock and scrub them and bleach them and all that good jive.

Nice submarine. I want one!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, when you say siphon out the sand, do you mean physically remove the sand and replace it, or just remove detritus from the sand?

I think on my initial go with this tank I went way overboard with trying to micromanage everything. I was dosing carbon, and i essentially scrubbed all nutrients from my tank, had zero algae, but my corals were struggling. Then i stopped dosing and things started to rebound, but i got freaked out by having some algae in the tank and started dosing again.

It's a shame because i did have some corals that were doing well. Had a beautiful gold torch coral that was thriving. Mushrooms are either really hardy or I had a good setup for them cause they were growing like crazy. I was never able to grow acros though, they bleached out and died within days, same with my scolys, they kept receeding. When i couldn't grow acros I just kinda gave up and let the tank go to crap.

Your last sentence. Live by it....

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have a 250L tank that has been neglected for about 8-9 months. I have two clown flish, a peppermint shrimp and 1 remaining living coral, some sort of green mushroom which I'm amazed is still alive. I am a bit ashamed to admit but I completely let the tank go to crap, its overrun with green algae and bubble algae, the sump is in horrible shape, it will need a complete tear down and cleaning.

Me and my wife have decided we want to give it another go, but set our expectations a bit lower this time. I actually had a decent tank going but I was unable to grow acropora and got really disheartened and kinda gave up. Anyway question is how should we go about doing this? I think we will probably give the livestock back to the local fish store while we do our clean up. How should we handle cleaning the rock? We have a moderate amount of coraline growth that we would like to not kill, but I also want to start fresh with no algae in the tank. Should we just remove all the rock and manually scrub them, should we do some sort of acid wash to get rid of all the algae?

If we tear the tank down and scrub the rock will we have to re-cycle the tank again?

How should we go about doing this reboot? Any advice is appreciated.
Digi are great sps easy to grow and give you an acro look.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. If you leave the rocks alone the bacteria will survive. I thought ripped clean meant you take out the rock and scrub them and bleach them and all that good jive.

Nice submarine. I want one!
Haha the wife wanted to be included.

@brandon429 has a great rip clean thread.
I kept my rocks wet the whole time. In a a 30 gallon tub of old saltwater. And just moved them back and forth really fast to dislodge any detritus. Rinsed my sand in tap and then it’s final rinse was in pure RO water. I did this in the beginning of September that picture up top was this morning

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Physically removing it is easier. Then you can clean it outside the tank and replace (or buy new).

Algae is healthy.. you definitely want algae.. you just don't want a forest of it.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the exact same thing you did my friend. I dosed vibrant once a saw a little algae and my tank went down hill soon after… a lot of people say it’s hard to kill a mushroom…. But guess who killed 2 …. Me ..

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull the rock scrub rock in one bucket a good rinse in a second. Any algea floating around in the tank is potential seed for new growth. I would also add a good amount of snails and crabs. Hermits for hair and emerald for the bubble.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sense killing off all that bacteria.
I would deep clean the sump, get a bottle of Vibrant, dose weekly while adding 10ml hydrogen peroxide daily.
Manually pull what you can daily, after a couple of weeks dosing Vibrant, vaccuum rocks daily.
It worked for me and I had a jungle.
7 weeks of dosing, vacuuming and hand pulling and the tank is pristine.
It took alot of time to get there it will take time to reverse but definitely doable.

Good luck.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda hard to see much in there, just manually removed like 2 lbs worth of green and bubble algae. But its a hot mess in there.
That's nothing, my tank was way worse with GHA.

If no corals present, pull rocks, scrub, etc.

If you want to keep things in place, WC, CUC....just get back into a routine of maintenance and managing your nutrients how you wish to.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not kill bacteria, fixes reefs:

x200

no doser can beat that, vibrant can kill your reef:

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to summarize, fix my sump. Rinse the crap out of my sand and manually remove as much algae as possible from my rock and return it to the tank. Do a lot of weekly water changes. This should remove most of the algae and keep beneficial bacteria that I have cultivated on my rock?

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not kill bacteria, fixes reefs:

x200

no doser can beat that, vibrant can kill your reef:

Brandon, you mention using peroxide in part of the rock cleaning process, will this kill my coraline, or potentially kill off all beneficial bacteria on my rock?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s shown directly there not to. I have overseen peroxide for ten years straight in remote jobs and am 100% sure *the way we use it* does not undo a cycle, which includes

-rip cleans are rocks on counter and knives that scrape off targets and dislodge them from anchor (like tufts of algae for example) and peroxide is only getting spot applied to slight portions of the rock. We aren’t dipping or anything.

-tens of thousands of peroxide dosers input one mil per ten gallons of 3% into some reefs to battle dinos and various insults, I hardly ever use it this way.

I use 35% in my tank, most use 3%.

@MnFish1 that should be the next test for your good setup in my opinion if you get bored, in what ways can peroxide be used to markedly suppress prior demonstrated nitrification ability in rocks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a decade of outcomes to track

*reefcentral, namely BrianD, take note, see how we are allowed to link to you since it’s ok to link to other boards at reef2reef? This allows rtr to grow exponentially. Tons of potential still exist at reefcentral. We lost reefs.org and 20 years of data so make a quick change to preserve the vast info your board holds / valuable useful info, merely a personnel fix needed. Be the leader for change.

this one isn’t mine, we look up to it though, oldest peroxide thread on the web I’ll bet:

rtr should never ever unsticky that thread it’s historical gold by TroyLee

here’s another 33 pager we are running on rtr currently

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s shown directly there not to. I have overseen peroxide for ten years straight in remote jobs and am 100% sure *the way we use it* does not undo a cycle, which includes

-rip cleans are rocks on counter and knives that scrape off targets and dislodge them from anchor (like tufts of algae for example) and peroxide is only getting spot applied to slight portions of the rock. We aren’t dipping or anything.

-tens of thousands of peroxide dosers input one mil per ten gallons of 3% into some reefs to battle dinos and various insults, I hardly ever use it this way.

I use 35% in my tank, most use 3%.

@MnFish1 that should be the next test for your good setup in my opinion if you get bored, in what ways can peroxide be used to markedly suppress prior demonstrated nitrification ability in rocks.

Okay thank you, plan on doing this next weekend, i'll take some before and after pics

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s a need to pull your sand out to rinse. Just do a decent water change with a little sand siphoning then pull a rock out into that water change bucket and scrub the hell out of it then put it back in.
Then repeat every few days, scrubbing a different piece of rock each time. You can literally ‘restart’ the reef in just a few water changes.
To me, that picture doesn’t justify ripping everything out to rinse the sand.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In
Okay thank you, plan on doing this next weekend, i'll take some before and after pics
I have to say that what @brandon429 recommends sounds like a huge pain in the butt most of the time, however taking an entire day to clean everything until it's spotless is a lot easier and better for your sanity than spending weeks or longer frustrated. Seriously, frustration is one of the biggest reasons people give up on their tanks and you can get back to enjoying it in just a day or two. I think that fact really matters. You may wish to use chemicals or something else on top of it, but the rip clean is the way to go. One required tool that he forgot to mention is a 6-pack of beer. Also, a pizza delivered around noon.

Last edited:

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with those who said not to tear down. You can try fluconazole and water changes to get the algae under control. I had bryopsis and turf algae ramping up and the fluconazole wiped out the bryopsis and the turf algae as an added bonus - sometimes you get lucky there. Once it starts to die off, wait a little bit and then start up the water changes.

I think it’s really wise to take a look at what you want to care for versus your time and experience. You can make a stunning tank with softies, LPS, and/ or montipora.
You probably also want to take a look at the things that were a pain as far as the maintenance so they are easier to do for next time. I just upgraded my RO from 75 to 200 GPD and it’s made life a lot easier- stuff like that.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In

I have to say that what @brandon429 recommends sounds like a huge pain in the butt most of the time, however taking an entire day to clean everything until it's spotless is a lot easier and better for your sanity than spending weeks or longer frustrated. Seriously, frustration is one of the biggest reasons people give up on their tanks and you can get back to enjoying it in just a day or two. I think that fact really matters. You may wish to use chemicals or something else on top of it, but the rip clean is the way to go. One required tool that he forgot to mention is a 6-pack of beer. Also, a pizza delivered around noon.
I agree with this , frustration does kill the hobby, I did everything everyone told me

I got cyano = chemi clean it and siphon it out with water change.

dinos= don’t do water changes let your nutrients go up my case nitrates were 100+ and phosphates were 0:

then they said buy neophos to bring up phosphates but the. When phosphates came up I got cyano and it was just a never ending battle.
I wasted money on chemicals and additives stressed out and killed most of my corals. After about 4 months I decided the rip clean method was the way to go.

Back