Sexing Banggai Cardinals?

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any figured out a better way to sex Banggai Cardinals other than trying to look for the nodule(s) on their underside when they are full of food?

I have three in my tank. Two seem to have paired off and the smaller one is left to its own (gets chased once in a great while).

I think I've seen the nodule(s) but can't be 100% certain as they are so small.

Thanks.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago, there was an article on breeding them. The author had a lone male banggai cardinalfish. In order to sex juveniles they acquired, each juvenile was put into the tank with the male BC, and depending on the reaction of the male (spawning behavior if female, attempt to kill if male), the author could reasonably determine if a juvenile was male or female.

Aside from that, there's always the "does it look like a bulldog" test, as well as the "look at how long the banner fins are" test.

What's worked for me, is to catch the fish, and put it into a small amount of water, for sexing purposes. Then I can see if it's got 1 or 2 vents* . I'm still an amateur at sexing these fish, and my post is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...help-with-sexing-banggai-cardinalfish.760483/

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago, there was an article on breeding them. The author had a lone male banggai cardinalfish. In order to sex juveniles they acquired, each juvenile was put into the tank with the male BC, and depending on the reaction of the male (spawning behavior if female, attempt to kill if male), the author could reasonably determine if a juvenile was male or female.

Aside from that, there's always the "does it look like a bulldog" test, as well as the "look at how long the banner fins are" test.

What's worked for me, is to catch the fish, and put it into a small amount of water, for sexing purposes. Then I can see if it's got 1 or 2 vents* . I'm still an amateur at sexing these fish, and my post is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...help-with-sexing-banggai-cardinalfish.760483/

Thanks. Will read through it!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexing by their genitals (vents) is generally the best way for Banggais and other fish that lay relatively large eggs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back