Sexy shrimp and red bali anemone?

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all.

I have a few red bali maxi anemones in my school tank and wanted to put them in their own aquarium (thinking of their own nano) but was wondering if they host sexy shrimp? I know the shrimp will do regular maxi anemones but unsure on the red bali type. Has anyone tried this and had success? I am just thinking it would be super cool to have their own set up.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you about a bali anemones. But I have 5 sexy shrimp that have been in a Rock Flower Anemone garden (30+ nems) for 6 months. I had to move then to a small holding tank with just a few curly-cue anemones. They took to them like ducks to water and seem to be doing just fine!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kichimark

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you about a bali anemones. But I have 5 sexy shrimp that have been in a Rock Flower Anemone garden (30+ nems) for 6 months. I had to move then to a small holding tank with just a few curly-cue anemones. They took to them like ducks to water and seem to be doing just fine!
That is awesome Ron. I bet the tanks looks amazing.

I figured since I have some of the bali red anemones in a holding container in my reef that I would do them justice by setting them up in their own tank. I know they got powerful stings since I saw a lyre tail anthia get stuck in one (chasing a mysis that flowed into the nem) and perished. I tried to remove the anthia as fast as I could but the grip was tight and the fish already dying.

I guess I can purchase a sexy shrimp and put it in the container with the nems and see if the shrimp will take to the nems. If not, then I will trust the shrimps judgement and see it as a no go.

Upvote 0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sexy shrimp would walk all over the tentacles of the RFA and don't seem to be bothered by the sting of the curly-cue nems either.

If you do the test, be sure to come back and tell us how it turned out... either way it would be good info!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kichimark

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely. It always annoyed me when threads go unfinished and don't want anyone else who may have this question down the road left in suspense.

Just going to wait for my LFS to have their 20% off sale on the 2nd. They like to have their sales at the beginning of December.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kichimark

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update...

Added one sexy shrimp with two red bali anemones that are inside an acrylic breeding box in the main tank. Shrimp has been in there for a few weeks and seems to be doing fine (feeding well, no abnormal behavior). The shrimp has not went on the anemones from my observations so not sure if it is avoiding them or I am just not observing at the right time.

Upvote 0

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update...

Added one sexy shrimp with two red bali anemones that are inside an acrylic breeding box in the main tank. Shrimp has been in there for a few weeks and seems to be doing fine (feeding well, no abnormal behavior). The shrimp has not went on the anemones from my observations so not sure if it is avoiding them or I am just not observing at the right time.
Mine walks all over my mini maxis, hasn’t been eaten yet :D

Upvote 0
Back