Sexy shrimp breeding success!

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many experiments and failed attempts over a long period of time, I managed to succeed in bringing some sexy shrimp larvae through metamorphosis and settle to the bottom.
I might've just been lucky this time around but I'm quite happy that it seems at least some progress is being made.

The number of larvae that settled and that I deemed big enough to move to the isolation box were 41. It's been 14 days or less since they've settled. They were kept in the larvae rearing tank after the settlement and I only moved them to the isolation box today. Their date of settlement differ and all of them have already molted a number of times so they are quite a bit bigger than when they've first settled.
IMG_20210720_214853.jpg

I dropped one of them into the display tank by accident so there are 40 in the isolation box now. I decided to just leave the little one that made it into the display tank. He/she seemed to be enjoying him/herself in there. I think he/she should be alright as long as he/she doesn't get sucked into the overflow or get caught by the parents.
IMG_20210720_210738.jpg

There are more larvae that haven't settled yet so I may get more if I get lucky. Also, there are others that have settled but I haven't moved to the isolation box yet because I think they are still too small.
It was quite hard to take the picture of the little shrimps because the camera wouldn't focus (they are just too small!).
Several months back, I manage to bring just one shrimp to the settlement from the entire batch (that was my very first success) but it died serval weeks later. I hope they do better this time.
I plan on continuing to experiment and attempt to breed/rear sexy shrimps.

Pattys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many experiments and failed attempts over a long period of time, I managed to succeed in bringing some sexy shrimp larvae through metamorphosis and settle to the bottom.
I might've just been lucky this time around but I'm quite happy that it seems at least some progress is being made.

The number of larvae that settled and that I deemed big enough to move to the isolation box were 41. It's been 14 days or less since they've settled. They were kept in the larvae rearing tank after the settlement and I only moved them to the isolation box today. Their date of settlement differ and all of them have already molted a number of times so they are quite a bit bigger than when they've first settled.
IMG_20210720_214853.jpg

I dropped one of them into the display tank by accident so there are 40 in the isolation box now. I decided to just leave the little one that made it into the display tank. He/she seemed to be enjoying him/herself in there. I think he/she should be alright as long as he/she doesn't get sucked into the overflow or get caught by the parents.
IMG_20210720_210738.jpg

There are more larvae that haven't settled yet so I may get more if I get lucky. Also, there are others that have settled but I haven't moved to the isolation box yet because I think they are still too small.
It was quite hard to take the picture of the little shrimps because the camera wouldn't focus (they are just too small!).
Several months back, I manage to bring just one shrimp to the settlement from the entire batch (that was my very first success) but it died serval weeks later. I hope they do better this time.
Cool. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've fed the larvae BBS as most do. I have no solid proof but it looks like they can also eat other stuff if the size is right and if it can stay off the ground.
I'm still in the process of learning (mostly the hard way) by trying things out. Still so much to learn and improve.
I see the little one in the display tank and he/she is still doing well. I was tempted to throw in all of the little ones into the display for a moment but I didn't.
None of the shrimps in the isolation box has died yet which is good. I threw in a small piece of rubble into the isolation box (yes, they just get one).

Last edited:

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210720_214853.jpg

IMG_20210720_210738.jpg

SOOO cool! You really need to share more! Like everything, document it, video it, ect. Nerds want to know :)

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210720_214853.jpg

IMG_20210720_210738.jpg

IMG_20210720_214853.jpg

IMG_20210720_210738.jpg

That is AWESOME! I love sexies but my file fish also does so I can't have them in my tank :(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! Fantastic. I love this. I have sexy shrimp in the 6g and they are some of my favorite. I had some in my 210g, but they were eaten I think. :(

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Peppermint Shrimp babies after I moved everything out of a 45 gallon tank. Tried BBS, but it didn’t seem like they could catch them. I then remembered the Adults went wild over Reef-Roids, so I started feeding them that. One day I got interrupted on a feeding. I left the Syringe with the long length of 1/4” Lee’s Rigid Tubing in the tank. Came back and they were all around the tubing end, feeding on the Roids. Unfortunately none made it to Adulthood.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do this as well! How many adults did you have? Did you just have the adults in your display? What size aquarium?

turkeereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210720_214853.jpg

IMG_20210720_210738.jpg

GREAT JOB! That is no easy task.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back