OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, thank you all for your support! :D

Congratulations! That is a pretty cool accomplishment! Following along for more awesome updates!
Wow a post from the AlgaeBarn! Thank you for all the great info you've put up on your site, much to learn from! Would have bought some of your products if I was living in the US.

A quick update.
I suspect about 3~5 sexy shrimps put into the isolation box have died (at least 2 confirmed dead, the rest is a guess based on the headcount which is not all that accurate). I don't exactly know why. It may or may not have been the stress caused when I moved them since they all died within a couple of days after I've moved them. Didn't have any die on me since then.
The good news is, I had a whole bunch of new sexy larvae that morphed and there are now about 90 of them total (including the smaller ones that just settled)! Not too bad aye? ;)
I have about 79~85 in the isolation box, 2~3 in the display tank, over 5 in the larvae tank.
The ones that settled earlier are growing pretty fast. I could actually tell they've gotten bigger by looking at them.
So far so good.
My goal, for now, is to be able to continuously produce sexy shrimps and start a small shrimp selling business in the future! :D I don't expect to make a living out of it or anything though (at least not just by selling sexy shrimps). Still, I want to give it a shot even if it just ends up being a side job. I ultimately want to try breeding other shrimps or inverts in the future too. Still got a long way to go with just the sexy shrimps for now.

The twerking shrimps:

The father and the child (may not be his/her actual father)
IMG_20210727_155556.jpg

The mother staring at the child (may not be his/her actual mother)
IMG_20210727_170658.jpg

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you were in the US, we could help start your business with orders. I love those little guys and captive bred is amazing. Good you!
Thanks! I'll try my best to keep it going.

Really cool! Where are you situated? Would love to support your shrimpery some day.
I'm based in South Korea so it might be a little far for most people here but thanks for the thought! Much appreciated.

A few more sexys morphed and settled since my last post btw. :cool:

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, thank you all for your support! :D

Wow a post from the AlgaeBarn! Thank you for all the great info you've put up on your site, much to learn from! Would have bought some of your products if I was living in the US.

A quick update.
I suspect about 3~5 sexy shrimps put into the isolation box have died (at least 2 confirmed dead, the rest is a guess based on the headcount which is not all that accurate). I don't exactly know why. It may or may not have been the stress caused when I moved them since they all died within a couple of days after I've moved them. Didn't have any die on me since then.
The good news is, I had a whole bunch of new sexy larvae that morphed and there are now about 90 of them total (including the smaller ones that just settled)! Not too bad aye? ;)
I have about 79~85 in the isolation box, 2~3 in the display tank, over 5 in the larvae tank.
The ones that settled earlier are growing pretty fast. I could actually tell they've gotten bigger by looking at them.
So far so good.
My goal, for now, is to be able to continuously produce sexy shrimps and start a small shrimp selling business in the future! :D I don't expect to make a living out of it or anything though (at least not just by selling sexy shrimps). Still, I want to give it a shot even if it just ends up being a side job. I ultimately want to try breeding other shrimps or inverts in the future too. Still got a long way to go with just the sexy shrimps for now.

The twerking shrimps:

The father and the child (may not be his/her actual father)
IMG_20210727_155556.jpg

The mother staring at the child (may not be his/her actual mother)
IMG_20210727_170658.jpg
Thanks for the kind words! We wish you the best and we are so excited to see someone motivated and dedicated to breeding saltwater inverts! Can't stop saying how cool your progress is! Would you mind if we shared on our social medial platforms? Please let us know if you have an Instagram as well!

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! We wish you the best and we are so excited to see someone motivated and dedicated to breeding saltwater inverts! Can't stop saying how cool your progress is! Would you mind if we shared on our social medial platforms? Please let us know if you have an Instagram as well!
Sure, PMed you.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update.
1. There are a little over 100 Sexys in the isolation box now. More settled, not so many died.
2. The sexys have grown. The photo in the first post of this thread was taken on the 20th of July. The photos below are taken on the 18th of August.
3. The 3 baby sexys that were put into the main display tank have all disappeared. They may have been eaten by their parents or other critters (although I think this is unlikely), or they got sucked into the overflow, or they are doing a great job hiding from me, or something else killed them. I think they are most likely dead (at least 2 out of the 3 are).

IMG_20210818_220636.jpg

IMG_20210818_220700.jpg

IMG_20210818_220718.jpg

IMG_20210818_220753.jpg

IMG_20210818_220906.jpg

IMG_20210818_220913.jpg

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome update! Do you seem to have any issues with the tiny ones in the same grow out with the larger ones?

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update! Do you seem to have any issues with the tiny ones in the same grow out with the larger ones?
I don't know for certain but they don't seem to eat their smaller siblings. At least not in significant numbers.
Edit:
I just realized the number of shrimps in the isolation box had decreased a little. There may have been an error in counting them or some might've got eaten alive by their siblings or maybe some died for some reason then got eaten by their brethren. Hard to say.

Last edited:

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know for certain but they don't seem to eat their smaller siblings. At least not in significant numbers.
Edit:
I just realized the number of shrimps in the isolation box had decreased a little. There may have been an error in counting them or some might've got eaten alive by their siblings or maybe some died for some reason then got eaten by their brethren. Hard to say.
Either way you are doing great and I'm sure you will yield more and more with every clutch as it's still a learning process :)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aw, look at all the wittle babies! So cute, congratulations.

You should put a suitable hosting mushroom in the box and see if they all swarm onto it. Should be pretty funny if they do.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the initial success, I haven't been very successful in raising the new batches to adulthood in large numbers. I had some that made it but the mortality rate of the larvae was way too high. I would sometimes have batches where non would make it.
So I've been trying to think of different ways to improve and luckily I managed to get another mass settle. It's not as many as the last time but still it feels good. l'd guess I have about 34 that settled and were moved to the isolation box now. I don't know if it's something I did or didn't do that made the change but I plan on finding it out with the upcoming batches. There are still so many thing I want to try and I'm always on the look out for a new ways to improve but with the limited space, the process just takes a very long time. Hopefully this will change when I get the new tank up and running.
IMG_20220320_000031.jpg

And here's a picture of some of the Sexy shrimp from the initial success. They are all grown ups now.
IMG_20220318_104702.jpg

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Levinson That is some awesome progress and we wish you all the luck and success on your breeding journey! About how old are the shrimp in the second picture? :D

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Levinson That is some awesome progress and we wish you all the luck and success on your breeding journey! About how old are the shrimp in the second picture? :D
Thanks @AlgaeBarn! I may have just gotten lucky again though. The ages of the Sexy shrimps in the picture may differ depending on the batch but the oldest (excluding the parents) should be a little less than 10 months old, that is including the larvae stage.

KanleyStubrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this is amazing work thank you for sharing. I'm going to try breeding them over here in the states. Could you share some more info on your setup to bring the larvae through metamorphosis and get them to settle?

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear how you managed to breed these guys! I'm a newer reefer, but am interested in sustainable developments in this hobby!

Back