SF-based First Time Reefer!

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

SF-based first time reefer here! Getting close to finishing my tank setup so finally joining R2R for some community advice before getting it wet.

image.jpeg

Will post on the actual BAR site soon after getting started here, looking forward to meeting fellow reef lovers online and hopefully eventually in person!

Cheers,
DT Prime

image.jpeg

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Been eyeing 1 myself for a while now.

I see a Vertex Omega 180i. Nice skimmer but I think it's going to be way too big for the tank. It will be inconsistent and difficult to dial in.

I suggest joining BAR proper at

www.bareefers.org

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Been eyeing 1 myself for a while now.

I see a Vertex Omega 180i. Nice skimmer but I think it's going to be way too big for the tank. It will be inconsistent and difficult to dial in.

I suggest joining BAR proper at

www.bareefers.org
Correct it is the 180i, was gonna go 150 but they have essentially the same footprint/water levels. There's a guy who builds tanks professionally for businesses and such in the area who's helped me a bit and he thought it would be fine, so hoping he's right since there was no money in it to bias him between models. When you say it'll be inconsistent/difficult to dial in would that be because of the water level or something else? Thanks for your comment either way!

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked around a bit on oversized skimmers, which I should have done more of before purchasing I'm sure. Anyway seeing a lot of mixed opinions on both sides but guessing you're referring to not having enough material for it to maintain foam/head? I'm hoping to do SPS and feed often if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in SF? Tank looks great!
SOMA, are you in the city as well or up in Napa as the name implies? And thanks, just finished filling it a few hours ago and waiting for the literal dust to settle, been an intense 24 hours!
d7e2f7584e52cc9206bdfd6ce50a4076.jpg

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOMA, are you in the city as well or up in Napa as the name implies? And thanks, just finished filling it a few hours ago and waiting for the literal dust to settle, been an intense 24 hours!
d7e2f7584e52cc9206bdfd6ce50a4076.jpg

I'm up in Napa, I was just wondering because a lot of people refer to north California as SF

Tanks looks great!

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up in Napa, I was just wondering because a lot of people refer to north California as SF

Tanks looks great!
Thanks! Gotta say I'm pretty dang happy with it so far, been a long 6 months getting here. Where about in Napa? I lived in Sonoma several years and have been in the greater bay area my whole life.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Gotta say I'm pretty happy with it so far, been a long 6 months getting here. Where about in Napa? I lived in Sonoma several years and have been in the greater bay area my whole life. (Edit note: the "dam" word is censored on here? That's some serious anti-profanity!

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Gotta say I'm pretty **** happy with it so far, been a long 6 months getting here. Where about in Napa? I lived in Sonoma several years and have been in the greater bay area my whole life.

In Napa city

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Napa city
Cool my girlfriend would be jealous :) thanks for the welcome! If you have a tank thread shoot me a link and I'll check it out, hoping to start one myself later today after I've recovered from staying up the last two nights on leak patrol haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back