Shading or other issue causing bleaching/stn at base of colony?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

At the base of my largest acro colony, I have what is either bleaching or stn. Looks to be stn, however I do see what looks like polyps so possibly it is only bleach. Does this look like the result of shading to the underside of the colony (and I only noticed now), or could it be something else at work? See attached pics.

2759ADC4-8A6B-4543-AB2A-06D2E663584D.jpeg A87FB10A-5804-4C2E-A1C4-07DB9EF66C1B.jpeg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any mushroom, hermit, or emerald crabs.
Hermit and emerald crabs have been banished from my 120 for picking at corals which caused similar looking issues.
Also I have green disco mushrooms that release and float around and land on corals. This happened several times and I find them stuck in powerheads.
A week ago I found one on the base of this stag. You can see them below.
This happened over night and has not increased since.
Hope I dont have to frag it. I have lost smaller corals from this and they rtn overnight.
A few I have put putty over the area and it stopped it from spreading.
I just cant reach this one.
I am trying to remove all of them but may never get them all.
20210211_093852.jpg

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any mushroom, hermit, or emerald crabs.
Hermit and emerald crabs have been banished from my 120 for picking at corals which caused similar looking issues.
Also I have green disco mushrooms that release and float around and land on corals. This happened several times and I find them stuck in powerheads.
A week ago I found one on the base of this stag. You can see them below.
This happened over night and has not increased since.
Hope I dont have to frag it. I have lost smaller corals from this and they rtn overnight.
A few I have put putty over the area and it stopped it from spreading.
I just cant reach this one.
I am trying to remove all of them but may never get them all.
20210211_093852.jpg
Interesting. I do not have any mushrooms but I do have hermit and emerald crabs, tons of hermits. I was wondering if this could possibly be the issue as it looked very irregular like something was eating it. I will definitely keep an eye out and hope that it does not spread.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I do not have any mushrooms but I do have hermit and emerald crabs, tons of hermits. I was wondering if this could possibly be the issue as it looked very irregular like something was eating it. I will definitely keep an eye out and hope that it does not spread.
Only way to tell is look at night.
Get up around 3-4ish and use a low powered flash light.
I sill have a few to remove.

Back