Shame On Ecotech! CONFIRMED Radion G4 Pro Price Drop on 2/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a similar post of when the gen 4 came out? Did ecotech give a heads up at that time?

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at Geek squad. This is completely normal across ALL BRANDS. Asus Hp samsung you name it. I go to meetings where they will show us unreleased products and they know there will be a price drop but no one acts on it untill the brand decides to. Hell Apple does it lol. I bought my apple watch gen 3 a few weeks before gen 4 and there was a price drop. The store told me sorry but it was more than 15 days ago so they couldnt send me the difference. Anyways this is life dude.

Buy a C7 corvette and a C8 is around the corner lol

I was going to type out a long-winded reply, but you summed it up.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if these lights were special ordered for OG poster, I would understand the local retailer not wanting to take them back. OG poster walks into retail establishment asks you buy $3200 worth of lights; retailer orders them and supplies customer. Also seems like some sort of cash discount is established to get better price.

I personally own a retail business and post my policy. Yet it’s not required. I do this to protect myself and the customer.

If a client came into my store and made a big purchase like that, and wanted to return because he found a newer or better model, I would honestly have to decline a refund. Especially after negotiating a cash price as to client getting a savings on credit card and other fees.

I also don’t see how the manufacturer could help you. They have have hundreds if not thousands of people that bought gen4 seeking some sort of restitution. They have the right to sell their product at full price up until the day they release a new one. Heck I bought 2 Gen4 XR30’s 4 months back. What can I do? I have 2 working lights though...

Honestly your best move here is to use the Gen4. I run 5 different gen4’s on my tanks. They are tried and proven.
The new lights are on a new Mobious platform. Who knows what that gonna be like. Bluetooth only, no Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others that have stated that EcoTech isn't at fault. The OP states that they should discount the older model months in advance of releasing a new model. Who does that? We know that every September that Apple will release a new phone, but we don't expect Apple to steeply discount the previous model in March.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is you win some and you lose some in life. Considering they're new in the box you could probably sell them here and be fairly close to break even if you need to have G5s. I wouldn't get this upset until you at least see what the price drop is going to be. Significant may only be $50 a light. $200. I've lost more than that on a football game. I lost an acan that was more than that. Take a deep breath. Let it sink in. I'm reeling you back off the edge. It isn't as big of a crisis as you're making it out to be.... (unless the price drop is $100 a light) Ok not funny. ;) There's no doubt the situation sucks. I hear you. I'm interested to see what happens with them now.

Hopefully you are correct, and it's only $50/light. This is definitely not a crisis, more of an eyeopening event to the poor business practice of Ecotech, one that is really aggravating and won't be forgotten.

From working at a store that sold Ecotech Products, I have to say that the stores didn't know about the G5 months ago, the ones with good connections maybe knew a week or two ago (not counting ones with real insiders like WWC and BRS).

LFS also have their hands tied on the pricing, until Ecotech tells them they can lower the price they risk being blacklisted and no longer being able to sell Ecotech products. So whole I believe the majority of quality LFS would like to go ahead and provide a discount, they literally can't because of that contract.

In the case of your LFS not wanting to take them back, I can see both sides. As a consumer, I would like to be able to take something back if a new product is announced immediately after purchase and I hadn't opened the box. But as an LFS, who probably learned about the G5s the same day you did, they don't want to be stuck paying/crediting you back for a device that they will now only be able to sell for less profit (BTW, the profit on Ecotech products sucks unless you are moving it in volume).

Edit: Ecotech, just like Neptune Systems did with the Apex, released the info in advance to stores so that when the news hit on ::cough:: Monday, they would be able to answer customer questions.

Sidenote: This is coming from the guy who bought a GoPro Hero7 two days before the Hero8 was announced....sometimes timing sucks

I understand the retailers didn't know about the release of the Gen. 5 and Gen. 4 price adjustment months ago, but they have known about it for days, and they are still selling them at full price! Hopefully, it will cause the retailers to receive a bunch a returns and eat into their profit for being greedy. If I was a retailer, all my Radions would have been temporarily out of stock, until the new release and price adjustment were officially released.

Ecotech, knowing when the release was scheduled, should have reduced the pricing on the G4s months ago. If they could still make a profit on it with Monday's price reduction, they could have made a profit last month, and the months before. It comes down to greed.

All in all we are talking about lights @ $900.00 each. 1, 2, 3, 4+. If you can afford these lights you are not doing too bad financially. A wise man once told me, when I was young, to not worry about money if you have enough. You can always make more.

Just because I can afford premium lights, does not mean that I want to get ripped off. I mean, would your rather pay MSRP for an end of the year model vehicle, or receive a discount?

I would be more upset with the retailer than Ecotech. When you buy a new car you know a "new, improved" version is coming out next year...do you freak out on Chevy or Ford?

Honestly, I am upset with both. At least when you buy a new car you know there is a newer model every year, and the old models are discount appropriately. When was the G4 Pro released? With Ecotech, there was zero planned notice, and absolutely no concern on their part.

Ecotech is in the business to make money, or they will not exist. They need to sell perfectly good G4 lights and not lose money. Expecting them to stop selling months prior or announcing the G5 well in advance with lots of G4 stock is not realistic.

I never said for them to stop selling them months in advance. I did say the price reduction should have been implemented sooner, months before the next generation release. Really, they should have had G5 prototypes on display at MACNA or similar, and reduced the pricing on the G4s then. You know, given a preview like Apple does before an iPhone release.

Do you own a car or know someone who does? You buy a 2020 model year do you think they will not make one in 2021?Not really sure what all of the hub bub is about. Did you expect them to give a a years notice and drop the price at the same time? That isn't how a business is run regardless of the type. News flash - there will be a gen 6 just as there will be a Kessil 360xyz.

Just look at Apple... a new phone every year, so you know it's coming, but they still announce it in advance, and provide 30-day returns for those who still get stuck. Four Radions is a large investment, it would be nice to have had a little notice, a preview, anything. And yes, I called Ecotech before I purchased the G4s and they said they knew nothing about a next generation, and maybe the person I spoke to really didn't.

Were these 4 Gen4 Pro’s you bought in stock at the retailer in question when you made the purchase or did they get ordered for you?

I'm not entirely sure. I inquired over the phone on the Radions first, and purchased a few days later. Maybe they were in stock, maybe not. Does it make a difference?

Don't spend the money if you can't afford it.

I never said that I could not afford it. I paid cash, so obviously I could.

Vote with your wallet for the future, it's the ultimate power you have as a consumer. Don't agree with how a company is operating in this hobby? Stop buying, and recommending others buy their offerings when asked for your opinion.

While I will acknowledge marketing is insanely strong in the NA market thanks in no small part to interwoven entities pretending to act distinctly, word of mouth still travels and has value.

That is exactly what I plan to do! Most likely, I will not purchase from EcoTech again. However, I do have a little hope that someone from Ecotech reaches out to me after the official release. Maybe I am just dreaming. Honestly, I almost did not even post my experience and maybe I should have just kept it to myself. Hopefully, Ecotech sees these comments and reconsiders how they go about any future releases.

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still got what you originally wanted and it’s in perfect working order. But now you’ve turned around and posted them for sale 200 less than retail....a piece? Losing $800 total? Money obviously aint the issue here. You just have to have the latest and greatest.

Last edited:

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read here the OP paid cash, however some credit cards still offer price protection for purchases. Terms and conditions vary, read up on what’s required and if you would qualify, but it’s often a range of 30-120 days where if an item you bought drops in price then you can make a claim to get a refund. I’ve never used this feature. Lots of card companies have faded this out but some still offer this, so for anyone else who lands in this situation maybe this route could help them out.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They knew exactly when they were going to release the G5! They should have discounted the G4 months ago! At least it would not have stung so bad... I would have had used lights on my tank by then. I'm still waiting for the rest of my order to arrive.

I completely agree! And I've been doing this for a long time as well... definitely not what it used to be.

Unfortunately, I try to pay cash to local businesses to help with CC fees, even though I lose CC perks. I guess that's what I get for trying to be a nice guy. Both EcoTech and the LFS will definitely lose more in profits than they saved by screwing me.
I think you’re confused though. How is ecotech screwing you? You purchased a product at the price you paid (I’m assuming $800 per unit) . Are you complaining because ecotech is going to liquidate a discontinued product? Because that’s what it sounds like. A “discounted price” always happens after a new product is released. When the new hydra 32’s came out, the old ones were discounted. And that’s the same thing for 90% of equipment in this hobby! The manufacturer says get rid of it! Make room for new ones! And they go on sale. Every year, the last years model cars go on sale for thousands less. I don’t complain when my new truck goes on sale for a bit less a year later. This is a normal trend people. This wasn’t ecotech “screwing you” it’s just a normal process. New in, old out. Finally, be an informed consumer. Research your products. We’ve known the G5’s were coming for the past 6 months.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your LFS is after a quick buck instead of customer service. The fact that Ecotech did nothing is common in this situation. They are good about replacing defects, that’s it.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it common to bring in 3100 dollars in cash to purchase lights? Seems like a fat roll to be walking around with.
I bought my apex system in cash. Yes, $3k in cash is a fat roll. You should’ve seen the owners face light up. I only paid in cash because he gave me 10% in store credit with cash.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand being frustrated but this happens with literally every product on earth. The Gen 4 has been available since 2016.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How? He engaged them and asked to buy 4 lights. As well as asked for a discount. Now he wants his money back, due to circumstances that don’t suit him. I’m sorry but clearly the retailer has done nothing wrong. I understand the OG’s frustration, but how is he beat?? He still has 4 brand new Gen4 lights.....

Sounds like your LFS is after a quick buck instead of customer service. The fact that Ecotech did nothing is common in this situation. They are good about replacing defects, that’s it.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No return policy on unopened items is how. I don’t care what the masses is used too. It’s not acceptable by me. I won’t purchase from places that offer no return to seller. I’m fine paying shipping but any more then that is a buyer beware for the consumer. IMO!!!!!

Skud1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated they have not been opened return them before the price adjustment and you should be fine.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated they have not been opened return them before the price adjustment and you should be fine.

OG Poster stated the retailer will not take the product back.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He look. We all vote with our wallet. If a retailers return policies don’t suit us, we always have the option of buying somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back