Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're good at growing coral , you can growout/ frag enough stuff with those 4 lights ,to buy the new lights by the time they came out, then sell em for the new discounted price , and have the new tech also ... Or thats what I would do. 5 pages of response should let you know your not going to get your 5% discount so gotta think outside your box, and approach a different angle.

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OG Poster stated the retailer will not take the product back.
I would guess they were special ordered and thats why they can not be returned. OP is selling them for $700 each/w diffuser. Obviously not someone worried about losing money..... Best part of the sale ad is that they didn’t list the reason for selling until someone commented about the G5 coming out.... Kinda hard to cry about lack of new product release info and then turning around and not supplying the same info in your sale ad.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been speculation for months about G5. The issue for the LFS is likely cash flow, unless they are one of the larger players in the game, they don’t have the 3k to handout for a buyers remorse situation or they may have lacked of knowledge before the purchase.
If they are a normally stocked item, or brand, for the store they could possibly return the serial numbers back into their inventory (not necessarily your cash tho) to show as an in stock item; then/when/ if Ecotech releases sale info they may be able to get the discount back from Ecotech on existing inventory. But this would be dependent on how their distributor/ dealer agreement is setup.
The overall attitude of customer service from the LFS would influence my overall feeling about them. If the response was tough ****, if you ain’t buying anything else please move on..... versus; man that sucks! let me call my rep right now and see what I can do.
If they’re unopened they can possibly return them back to Ecotech and refund you. If they’re a small business they may be stuck with the purchase unless they are defective.

Regardless of any of the possible scenarios: A store should have a clear return/ refund policy on anything sold. Be it live, dry goods, special orders.

Overall I’m with the OP, I’d be a little upset but not with Ecotech, LFS, Myself more than the other.... I’ve been on both ends of this with products I’ve bought and products I’ve sold and installed. The issue the LFS would have is their return ability or eligibility, specifically since the “sale” isn’t even announced yet also plays a role.

Sucks for sure, but at least from now on you know to maybe buy higher end dry stuff BRS, MD, etc and leave the LFS to just live goods.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens in a lot of industries. Main difference is with most other hobbies I know about (gaming, guitars, Apple gadgets) the release dates are either on a regular cadence (E3, WWDC, NAMM) and / or there’s a ton of leaks so consumers have a decent idea when new stuff is coming.

But all in all it’s normal. Most LFS around me don’t do returns (I assume margins are thin) and, like others said, you can’t expect the manufacturer to put out a tweet saying “hey don’t buy out stuff for 4 months because an update is coming”.

It sucks but you still got lights you like at a price you were willing to pay

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only two cents is that I highly doubt the newer lights will grow coral any better. And in 14 months or whatever the new lights will be old lights when g100000s come out. If you wanted to be cool you should have bought t5s. That way you are awesome for a decade or two.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we can figure out the discount... In February 2016 I bought a Radion XR30W (not Pro). Forget what list price was that I payed. September 2016 the G4's came out (I think). I bought another XR30W for $519.00 which was the discount price right after the G4's came out. I'm pretty sure mstgkillr's lights with diffuser at $700. will be a better deal than the Monday sale. A good deal for somebody who just can't swing the new G5's.

I feel for the OP. We all been there sometime in our lives. He can easily afford the best & newest. If the LFS knew about the G5's while he was buying the G4's I'd be ticked too. To mstgkillr I would say lick your wounds and realize how fortunate you are to afford four G4's with all the trimmings. Buy everything you can somewhere else on your large tank and only buy food for your fish & corals at that LFS. Once they see how much food you buy over the years they will realize the mistake they made & money they lost. And you get the satisfaction of "rubbing their nose in it" every time you walk in. Don't it almost make it all worth it?

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But don’t they have to Offer a store credit

We don’t need the CAPS and aggro stuff

R2R specializes in users being friendly

I got Warned on day 1 here
Lol friendly!? Haha. That’s funny

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has ran it's course and is closed. You can only beat a dead horse for so long and the whole tone of this thread has turned to something opposite of what we want our community to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back