Shame On Ecotech! CONFIRMED Radion G4 Pro Price Drop on 2/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

keephowlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little surprised that the LFS wouldn't entertain a return, especially if you were going to buy the new version. If it was a return/rebuy on the same model at the lower price, then I guess I see their side, as they bought it at the higher rate, too.

Something similar happened to me on a much smaller scale. I had just bought the Kessil H380 and within a day of delivery, the new A360X Refugium was announced. Fortunately BRS just took the return and I bought the new light a few days later when it hit stock...

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SERIOUSLY!!! What are they supposed to do, STOP SELLING THE G4 because the G5 is coming out EVENTUALLY!!!

They knew exactly when they were going to release the G5! They should have discounted the G4 months ago! At least it would not have stung so bad... I would have had used lights on my tank by then. I'm still waiting for the rest of my order to arrive.

I think he’s just frustrated by the lack of consumer loyalty or lack of manufacturer transparency.

Maybe if ecotech has news of this light release with more advance it would be helpful. Seems like it’s purposely a last minute thing even telling retailers they can’t release any info in regards to new light. What’s the point of that? Why even give the retailers the info then?

Seems as if they wanted to Clear out all the existing G4 before the 5 release.

Not our fault they can’t keep Up with the technology or other LED manufacturer releases.

They lose money when they produce to many G4 that sit n don’t get sold because they came out with a 5 to Compete with someone else

You know months I’m advance prior to I phone releases, and they buy back you old one

The aquarium hobby is so messed up
Now, I’ve been reefing for a long time, it used to be fun.

Retailers valued their customers, they wanted you to be satisfied.

Now they want you tomfail
So They can sell You more stuff you don’t need

I completely agree! And I've been doing this for a long time as well... definitely not what it used to be.

Based on your statement of "just purchased and received them", if you paid for them via credit card, file a complaint with the CC company telling them you want to return the unopened lights and the retailer refuses a refund.

Unfortunately, I try to pay cash to local businesses to help with CC fees, even though I lose CC perks. I guess that's what I get for trying to be a nice guy. Both EcoTech and the LFS will definitely lose more in profits than they saved by screwing me.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Don’t think it’s legal For A legit retailer to have a no return policy for unopened goods

Unless it’s some hack Selling out of his basement

While the U.S. does not have federal laws affecting returns and refunds, it's still a good idea to have a Return & Refund Policy. US state laws do not require a Return & Refund Policy either but under certain circumstances, you need to post this policy conspicuously in your storefront or through your ecommerce website. Issuing returns and refunds is at your store discretion. However, informing of your policies and maintaining fair terms is expected from your customers.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But don’t they have to Offer a store credit

We don’t need the CAPS and aggro stuff

R2R specializes in users being friendly

I got Warned on day 1 here

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know crap about return
Policies

Just though store had to take returns for
Credit or refund $$

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But don’t they have to Offer a store credit

We don’t need the CAPS and aggro stuff

R2R specializes in users being friendly

I got Warned on day 1 here
I wrote that in caps because it’s usually well written in all caps when you enter these businesses. Not getting rude

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have confirmation, from multiple sources, that there is going to be a significant price adjustment on the G4 Radion Pros upon the G5 Pro/Blue release. I have no idea what constitutes significant though.

Normally I would love to see a price drop, but as someone who JUST purchased 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros that I didn't even open yet, it really ****** me off! EcoTech and their retailers are still selling the G4 Pros at FULL price, with full knowledge of an upcoming price reduction and next generation release. To me, that is a horrible business practice on both EcoTech's part, and the retailers that received advanced notice (all of them). If nothing else, EcoTech should have provided discounts well in advance of a new release, and when the retailers were notified of the upcoming generation and price adjustment, they should have made the current inventory unavailable, but everyone is trying to suck out that extra buck!

Although I am already in possession of my brand new "old" G4 Pros, I contacted several online and local retailers inquiring to purchase more. Thankfully, about half of them straight up told me not to make a purchase due to the pending price adjustment of the G4, and release of the G5. The other half I will never purchase from again.

I thought to myself, I've spent over $10k on Ecotech equipment over the years, and heard great things about their customer service, surely they could provide some type of resolution. I explained to EcoTech that I just purchased and received 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros with diffusers (still waiting on the RMS mounts to arrive), and that I have not even opened the boxes yet, is there anything they can do as I know there is a price adjustment coming in 3 days, along with the release of the next generation. I explained that I would have never purchased the G4 if I knew the G5 was going to be released, and certainly not if a price adjustment was coming. I offered to return my G4s to Ecotech and pay a reasonable upgrade fee to go with the G5. Ecotech basically told me to get lost.

This was there response:
Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine. Although we don't have any information on a Generation 5 Radion. If there were to be a new version released, the lights you currently have would still be fully supported and would function the same just as when they were initially released. Even as new model Radions are released through the years, the prior model lights wouldn't become outdated as they would still have their warranty. Many users are still using the Gen 1, 2, and 3 Radions successfully on their tank, and we continue to support those model lights as well. Please let me know if there is anything additional I could assist you with, thank you

What a lame response! And are they really supporting Gens 1-3, or are they just going with the upgrade model, where something breaks and they only offer a paid upgrade for a supported generation. Honestly, I'm so ****** at EcoTech right now, that I am really considering selling off all my EcoTech equipment and never purchasing any of their products again. I already have my G4s listed in the classifieds.

I work at Geek squad. This is completely normal across ALL BRANDS. Asus Hp samsung you name it. I go to meetings where they will show us unreleased products and they know there will be a price drop but no one acts on it untill the brand decides to. Hell Apple does it lol. I bought my apple watch gen 3 a few weeks before gen 4 and there was a price drop. The store told me sorry but it was more than 15 days ago so they couldnt send me the difference. Anyways this is life dude.

Buy a C7 corvette and a C8 is around the corner lol

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I completely understand the frustration here, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just take the return, if they get discounted I don't think the LFS takes the hit on there profit margin, Ecotech more than likely has to reimburse the difference back anyway. For the one time cost of returning the unopened lights with you buying G5's anyway, the LFS and Ecotech both lose a long term customer. It's pretty sad to think they wouldn't bother to try and keep your business.

BUT, Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to advertise a release/discount on older models one month in advance? What about the guy who bought the product a day before the announcement of the release? Do we then push it to 2 months? What about the person who purchased them 1 day before that? You can see how this can get carried away quickly. Unfortunately I just don't think theres a way to do it without hurting someone. I mean in a perfect world probably the best route would be to cease production months and months in advanced and let the stock from retailers dwindle down to almost nothing then announce the release. But even then those LFS' that do sell them may take 6+ months to run out of stock as well. So then your product launch that you probably planned to beat out some other product line is now in jeopardy.

It really is a lose lose situation for both sides. The best thing would be to just have you swap them when the new ones came in but unfortunately your LFS for whatever reason doesn't want to take that route.

Last edited:

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, my retailer (LFS) is not accepting the return. And I paid in cash too!

I would think a LFS would value a "high end" customer and wispier in his ear to wait for the new lights. Not so with a mail order retailer say like a BRS or MD. Your LFS does not consider you a friend but just money in their bank account. Buy as least as possible from them and drop a hint that you bought your, lets say a full blown Apex with Trident, somewhere else when you get the chance on a occasional visit. They don't deserve your hard earned dollars.

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am just surprised to see how this conversation is going and see some of you are even trying to add fuel to the fire. I am in the same situation and I have just listed my 4 BRAND NEW never used XR15 G4 PRO for sell at a much lower price as it was my mistake that I didn't put enough time to research but none the less I have just decided to go a different route for the lights and NOW with my mistake I will and accept the price drop and lose a few and sell them here. This is part of the being in reefing or as a matter of fact in any business old stuff will eventually go outdated and will be replaced by new models all the time. Just must do a little research and then make the decision. Besides the XR15 G4 will still be supported for longer period of time. So if you my friend @mstgkillr dont want to lose any money just keep and use them as they will still serve the purpose you have bought them for. That's just my two cents.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a problem with the LFS, not Ecotech.

I got the G1s and shortly after the G2s were released. I wont lie, it was disheartening, but someone put it into perspective for me, just because they came out with a new light doesn't make the old light not work or function any different. Timing sucks. You just don't have top of the line... then something about first world problems yadda yadda.

The fact that if the G5s weren't released for another 2 months, this very day you would be happy with your G4 pros. The only difference is what could've been.

Silver lining is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with G4s and because they have a new light on the horizon shouldn't make you this upset.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have confirmation, from multiple sources, that there is going to be a significant price adjustment on the G4 Radion Pros upon the G5 Pro/Blue release. I have no idea what constitutes significant though.

Normally I would love to see a price drop, but as someone who JUST purchased 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros that I didn't even open yet, it really ****** me off! EcoTech and their retailers are still selling the G4 Pros at FULL price, with full knowledge of an upcoming price reduction and next generation release. To me, that is a horrible business practice on both EcoTech's part, and the retailers that received advanced notice (all of them). If nothing else, EcoTech should have provided discounts well in advance of a new release, and when the retailers were notified of the upcoming generation and price adjustment, they should have made the current inventory unavailable, but everyone is trying to suck out that extra buck!

Although I am already in possession of my brand new "old" G4 Pros, I contacted several online and local retailers inquiring to purchase more. Thankfully, about half of them straight up told me not to make a purchase due to the pending price adjustment of the G4, and release of the G5. The other half I will never purchase from again.

I thought to myself, I've spent over $10k on Ecotech equipment over the years, and heard great things about their customer service, surely they could provide some type of resolution. I explained to EcoTech that I just purchased and received 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros with diffusers (still waiting on the RMS mounts to arrive), and that I have not even opened the boxes yet, is there anything they can do as I know there is a price adjustment coming in 3 days, along with the release of the next generation. I explained that I would have never purchased the G4 if I knew the G5 was going to be released, and certainly not if a price adjustment was coming. I offered to return my G4s to Ecotech and pay a reasonable upgrade fee to go with the G5. Ecotech basically told me to get lost.

This was there response:
Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine. Although we don't have any information on a Generation 5 Radion. If there were to be a new version released, the lights you currently have would still be fully supported and would function the same just as when they were initially released. Even as new model Radions are released through the years, the prior model lights wouldn't become outdated as they would still have their warranty. Many users are still using the Gen 1, 2, and 3 Radions successfully on their tank, and we continue to support those model lights as well. Please let me know if there is anything additional I could assist you with, thank you

What a lame response! And are they really supporting Gens 1-3, or are they just going with the upgrade model, where something breaks and they only offer a paid upgrade for a supported generation. Honestly, I'm so ****** at EcoTech right now, that I am really considering selling off all my EcoTech equipment and never purchasing any of their products again. I already have my G4s listed in the classifieds.

I get it and I'd be ticked too, but at the lfs not necessarily ecotech. Why they wouldnt at least offer credit to purchase the gen5 is beyond me, especially if it is truly new and unopened. I wouldn't be giving them much if any business in the future.

Sorry, crappy situation and get the frustration.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows the G5 with their increased wattage, new layout, diffuser, heat sink could stink

Usually when you rush a product to compete with something else you make a mistake or two

Maybe your better off with the G4

I’d at try n return for a credit at least

Did you try that instead of refund?

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little surprised that the LFS wouldn't entertain a return, especially if you were going to buy the new version. If it was a return/rebuy on the same model at the lower price, then I guess I see their side, as they bought it at the higher rate, too.

Something similar happened to me on a much smaller scale. I had just bought the Kessil H380 and within a day of delivery, the new A360X Refugium was announced. Fortunately BRS just took the return and I bought the new light a few days later when it hit stock...

Lesson learned. I purchased many items form BRS, but only items my LFS did not carry. From this point on, my money is going to BRS and their excellent return policy.

I wrote that in caps because it’s usually well written in all caps when you enter these businesses. Not getting rude

I'm checking this tomorrow, to see if it's posted anywhere. Most likely, as I am usually looking at coral.

I work at Geek squad. This is completely normal across ALL BRANDS. Asus Hp samsung you name it. I go to meetings where they will show us unreleased products and they know there will be a price drop but no one acts on it untill the brand decides to. Hell Apple does it lol. I bought my apple watch gen 3 a few weeks before gen 4 and there was a price drop. The store told me sorry but it was more than 15 days ago so they couldnt send me the difference. Anyways this is life dude.

Buy a C7 corvette and a C8 is around the corner lol

Yeah, but what is the return policy at Best Buy, and I bet even Asus, HP, and Samsung would have some flexibility. I know for a FACT that Apple does. Apple had no problem accepting my 28-day old MacBook Pro return while purchasing the newer model. I've even heard of Apple accepting returns past the 30-day period with new releases. Just goes to show you, there are some good companies and there are many like EcoTech.

While I completely understand the frustration here, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just take the return, if they get discounted I don't think the LFS takes the hit on there profit margin, Ecotech more than likely has to reimburse the difference back anyway. For the one time cost of returning the unopened lights with you buying G5's anyway, the LFS and Ecotech both lose a long term customer. It's pretty sad to think they wouldn't bother to try and keep your business.

BUT, Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to advertise a release/discount on older models one month in advance? What about the guy who bought the product a day before the announcement of the release? Do we then push it to 2 months? What about the person who purchased them 1 day before that? You can see how this can get carried away quickly. Unfortunately I just don't think theres a way to do it without hurting someone. I mean in a perfect world probably the best route would be to cease production months and months in advanced and let the stock from retailers dwindle down to almost nothing then announce the release. But even then those LFS' that do sell them may take 6+ months to run out of stock as well. So then your product launch that you probably planned to beat out some other product line is now in jeopardy.

It really is a lose lose situation for both sides. The best thing would be to just have you swap them when the new ones came in but unfortunately your LFS for whatever reason doesn't want to take that route.

I agree, it is sad. I guess they don't need my business and in the long-term, the will definitely lose more on this than they tried to save by being greedy.

It needs to be months in advance... and I agree, there is always going to be someone who gets the wrong end of the deal, but to have placed an order for lights, diffusers, and mounts, and not to have even received the entire order before a price adjustment and new generation release, that is BAD! I didn't even open the boxes yet and still waiting on the mounts!

I would think a LFS would value a "high end" customer and wispier in his ear to wait for the new lights. Not so with a mail order retailer say like a BRS or MD. Your LFS does not consider you a friend but just money in their bank account. Buy as least as possible from them and drop a hint that you bought your, lets say a full blown Apex with Trident, somewhere else when you get the chance on a occasional visit. They don't deserve your hard earned dollars.

Yes, and several did "whisper" when I was checking their integrity! I'm not going to name who, because EcoTech will probably blacklist them or something.

My LFS will know they ticked me off when I never return.

Wow I am just surprised to see how this conversation is going and see some of you are even trying to add fuel to the fire. I am in the same situation and I have just listed my 4 BRAND NEW never used XR15 G4 PRO for sell at a much lower price as it was my mistake that I didn't put enough time to research but none the less I have just decided to go a different route for the lights and NOW with my mistake I will and accept the price drop and lose a few and sell them here. This is part of the being in reefing or as a matter of fact in any business old stuff will eventually go outdated and will be replaced by new models all the time. Just must do a little research and then make the decision. Besides the XR15 G4 will still be supported for longer period of time. So if you my friend @mstgkillr dont want to lose any money just keep and use them as they will still serve the purpose you have bought them for. That's just my two cents.

I wish I could be like you, but if you mean different route, as in different brand, that's your fault. And I did my research, which provided no indication to the consumer that a new release or price adjustment was on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back