Shame On Ecotech! CONFIRMED Radion G4 Pro Price Drop on 2/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned. I purchased many items form BRS, but only items my LFS did not carry. From this point on, my money is going to BRS and their excellent return policy.

I'm checking this tomorrow, to see if it's posted anywhere. Most likely, as I am usually looking at coral.

Yeah, but what is the return policy at Best Buy, and I bet even Asus, HP, and Samsung would have some flexibility. I know for a FACT that Apple does. Apple had no problem accepting my 28-day old MacBook Pro return while purchasing the newer model. I've even heard of Apple accepting returns past the 30-day period with new releases. Just goes to show you, there are some good companies and there are many like EcoTech.

I agree, it is sad. I guess they don't need my business and in the long-term, the will definitely lose more on this than they tried to save by being greedy.

It needs to be months in advance... and I agree, there is always going to be someone who gets the wrong end of the deal, but to have placed an order for lights, diffusers, and mounts, and not to have even received the entire order before a price adjustment and new generation release, that is BAD! I didn't even open the boxes yet and still waiting on the mounts!

Yes, and several did "whisper" when I was checking their integrity! I'm not going to name who, because EcoTech will probably blacklist them or something.

My LFS will know they ****** me off when I never return.

I wish I could be like you, but if you mean different route, as in different brand, that's your fault. And I did my research, which provided no indication to the consumer that a new release or price adjustment was on the horizon.
Different route means still with the same brand just the sister company AI instead. But still bit the bullet and lose some and sell what I have.. It’s part of life as “life is never fair”

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Don’t think it’s legal For A legit retailer to have a no return policy for unopened goods

Unless it’s some hack Selling out of his basement

I think it is legal because there are many products that are made to order and one of a kind. I know in those cases there is no returns allowed. It may be legal but it is pretty crappy since the retailer could just give him a store credit and then when the G5's come in stock apply it to them.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a problem with the LFS, not Ecotech.

I got the G1s and shortly after the G2s were released. I wont lie, it was disheartening, but someone put it into perspective for me, just because they came out with a new light doesn't make the old light not work or function any different. Timing sucks. You just don't have top of the line... then something about first world problems yadda yadda.

The fact that if the G5s weren't released for another 2 months, this very day you would be happy with your G4 pros. The only difference is what could've been.

Silver lining is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with G4s and because they have a new light on the horizon shouldn't make you this upset.

It's not only that the new generation will be released soon, but that I just paid a premium for a product which is about to receive a price adjustment and I haven't even received my entire order yet, or opened the boxes.

I get it and I'd be ****** too, but at the lfs not necessarily ecotech. Why they wouldnt at least offer credit to purchase the gen5 is beyond me, especially if it is truly new and unopened. I wouldn't be giving them much if any business in the future.

Sorry, crappy situation and get the frustration.

It's not just the LFS, I contacted EcoTech directly, and even offered to ship and pay a reasonable upgrade fee for the next Gen 5s.

Different route means still with the same brand just the sister company AI instead. But still bit the bullet and lose some and sell what I have.. It’s part of life as “life is never fair”

Way different than my situation. That's all on you.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1581728697153.png

You can't come soon enough ;Drool

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the par difference

But I can tell You a 250w pheonix HQI with the right reflector grows SPS In tank up to 24” NP

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy some
Halides and be done with it

G5 205 watts

I’d rather run a 250 HQI Phoenix 14k

As an "old" reefer coming from halides, I still prefer them for tanks with a canopy. I ran both the 250w Phoenix 14k and the 400w Radiums on the real ballasts. Unfortunately, I went with a rimless, and my wife doesn't approve of large hanging fixtures, so it's AI, Radion, or similar. Probably going with Phillips or Orphek next... and some other type of powerhead.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and grow them well with nice solid uniform coloration

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So funny my wife the same way with the rimless tank

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you shouldn't buy from you lfs.. Always buy from someone who will take care of you. If you cannot return it sounds like they are not doing that.

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is you win some and you lose some in life. Considering they're new in the box you could probably sell them here and be fairly close to break even if you need to have G5s. I wouldn't get this upset until you at least see what the price drop is going to be. Significant may only be $50 a light. $200. I've lost more than that on a football game. I lost an acan that was more than that. Take a deep breath. Let it sink in. I'm reeling you back off the edge. It isn't as big of a crisis as you're making it out to be.... (unless the price drop is $100 a light) Ok not funny. ;) There's no doubt the situation sucks. I hear you. I'm interested to see what happens with them now.

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an issue. Ecotech may release the G5 on 2/17, but what usually happens is there isn't enough stock, so people can't even get them months. Look at all the other major releases other companies have done. People still can't find some of the items. The time after the release date is the discount time because that gives people the option. Wait until they get the G5 or they can get a G4 at a discount. It sucks that your LFS won't at least give you credit. They may not even have a G5 available for awhile as I am sure not everyone has stock.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will probably discount the gen 4 to their original prices. Can’t believe Ecotech raised prices by 10% on lights that had been out a couple years. I mean I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in business? The gen 5 looks pretty cool, but I’m waiting on the Coralcare V2 myself.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly your G4 pros are PROVEN, the G5’s haven’t even been released.

What if it’s a flop? Pose issues? Etc, etc.

It’s a far fetch to think they’ll be horrible, but the lights you have are good lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back