Status
Not open for further replies.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From working at a store that sold Ecotech Products, I have to say that the stores didn't know about the G5 months ago, the ones with good connections maybe knew a week or two ago (not counting ones with real insiders like WWC and BRS).

LFS also have their hands tied on the pricing, until Ecotech tells them they can lower the price they risk being blacklisted and no longer being able to sell Ecotech products. So whole I believe the majority of quality LFS would like to go ahead and provide a discount, they literally can't because of that contract.

In the case of your LFS not wanting to take them back, I can see both sides. As a consumer, I would like to be able to take something back if a new product is announced immediately after purchase and I hadn't opened the box. But as an LFS, who probably learned about the G5s the same day you did, they don't want to be stuck paying/crediting you back for a device that they will now only be able to sell for less profit (BTW, the profit on Ecotech products sucks unless you are moving it in volume).

Edit: Ecotech, just like Neptune Systems did with the Apex, released the info in advance to stores so that when the news hit on ::cough:: Monday, they would be able to answer customer questions.

Sidenote: This is coming from the guy who bought a GoPro Hero7 two days before the Hero8 was announced....sometimes timing sucks

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Well... if the LFS has the lights on Tuesday to sell then we know who had the insider info. OP check your store on the 17 or 18th. If they don't have them than maybe you can let them off the hook.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me years ago with a piece of audio equipment. Bought it and then a couple of weeks later the new model got released. I did not fault the manufacturer, rather the retailer that sold me the piece and would only take it back at a reduced ‘credit’ for the newer model. Suffice it to say, I never did business with that store again. I get why folks choose to support the LFS, or any local merchant, but I personally do not go out of my way to do so. Buy from places like BRS with a credit card and you get all sorts of consumer protections that cash to the LFS does not afford you.

I’ve been using the radion gen 4 pro lights for a few years now and have been quite happy with them. Maybe the gen5 will be an improvement; maybe it won’t. Either way, the gen4 lights grow corals just fine.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all we are talking about lights @ $900.00 each. 1, 2, 3, 4+. If you can afford these lights you are not doing too bad financially. A wise man once told me, when I was young, to not worry about money if you have enough. You can always make more.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is in the business to make money, or they will not exist. They need to sell perfectly good G4 lights and not lose money. Expecting them to stop selling months prior or announcing the G5 well in advance with lots of G4 stock is not realistic.

U

User1

View Badges
Do you own a car or know someone who does? You buy a 2020 model year do you think they will not make one in 2021?Not really sure what all of the hub bub is about. Did you expect them to give a a years notice and drop the price at the same time? That isn't how a business is run regardless of the type. News flash - there will be a gen 6 just as there will be a Kessil 360xyz.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these 4 Gen4 Pro’s you bought in stock at the retailer in question when you made the purchase or did they get ordered for you?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're kidding ! You didn't get the VIP discount , should have show em your shiney star .....cause you have one ;)
This is classic, 10s of thousands of people who bought boatloads of these full price , and are happy they did .

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s not overreact and wait to see what’s gonna happen with the G4 price and the performance of the G5. I understand you just bought 4 which is significant amount of money. However, what is a significant price drop? 100$? 200? If it’s $100, you just “overpaid” not lost 400$. You can easily lose over $1000 worth of designer corals in a couple days in this hobby.
I guess my message is, you probably think you’ve made a mistake but it’s really out of your control. If any of us can predict the future, we wouldn’t be here.
New gadgets in every hobby always get hyped up by gear heads who likes the bling of new toys. The pros and one who is serious about the hobby itself usually never care. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. Many corals have thrived under G4 just fine and the amount of money you’ve overpaid is not worth the stress of fighting Ecotech or your LFS for it.
I hope you find my post consoling and not condescending and be offended.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks when you get burned by a technology update like this. It's happened to all of us and with the advancements in reefing technology, it's happening to us in reefing now too. I bought a pair of MP40WES a month or two before the QDs came out. I sold my WES at a discount and bought the QDs. I don't regret it for a second. I run them at much higher speed and the sound difference is like night and day.

The good news is Ecotech products are high quality and hold their value. If you really want to go with the Gen 5, just sell your Gen 4s asap while they still have a decent amount of value. Once the G5s hit the market the G4 values will keep dropping. A few years from now you'll forget the money you lost.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d4f48ebb6b42e204e991cac62b11dac63fb3f15ff6eacdd6500dd5e485acff6a.jpg.jpeg

do-it.jpg.jpeg

just trying to light up the mood ;Woot :p

This is hilarious... good job.
clapping.gif

Anyway, this is why I avoid buying high-end aquarium equipment that typically only performs marginally better than the cheap stuff. The price of a Black Box LED is always around $100, and it grows coral just fine. :p

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vote with your wallet for the future, it's the ultimate power you have as a consumer. Don't agree with how a company is operating in this hobby? Stop buying, and recommending others buy their offerings when asked for your opinion.

While I will acknowledge marketing is insanely strong in the NA market thanks in no small part to interwoven entities pretending to act distinctly, word of mouth still travels and has value.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well see a company exists to make money. and they need to clear old stock for new stock. Welcome to the world of ever changing product lines!

Old lights work the same so why does it matter. You pay to play and no one forced you to buy those lights.

So sell your old unopened lights there ARE people out there that would want the older gen vs the new and get the newer one done no problems....

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it and I'd be ****** too, but at the lfs not necessarily ecotech. Why they wouldnt at least offer credit to purchase the gen5 is beyond me, especially if it is truly new and unopened. I wouldn't be giving them much if any business in the future.

Sorry, crappy situation and get the frustration.
Hey I understand your frustration I also just bought g4 but you know what they rock and they can’t be run more than 35 percent or o torch my corals so who cares I’m good with what I got

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, OG poster... Were these lights in stock when you made the purchase? Or were they ordered for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back