OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, just realized, Trident's schedule config is the same old output configs with OSC. For example, in my apex, the did (device ID I guess) of trident tests (alk, ca, mg) is 3_3, and alk test is 3_4. So from the path http://apex.local/rest/config/oconf/3_4 I can see the config of it as
Code:
{
  ID: "16",
  did: "3_4",
  type: "selector",
  ctype: "Advanced",
  gid: "",
  gtype: "0",
  name: "Alk_3_4",
  icon: "Up/Down Arrows",
  prog: "OSC 360:00/001:00/359:00 Then ON ",
  log: false,
  extra: { }
}
And there is our familiar OSC code OSC 360:00/001:00/359:00 Then ON , which means run it for one minutes then stop for 359 minutes, which is every 6 hours. It's also offset by 6 hour to space out from the trident test. Also I found that if I try to start the test when a test is running, like I started the ALK test manually, then I want to start all test, the command is accepted but ignored. That's the behavior for this ALK schedule to work.

To modify the schedule, it's just a PUT to that same path, using the same body with an updated OSC configuration. I verified that by changing from 4 tests a day to 6 tests a day and back, those were the exact calls the webapp was making.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune system did actually bother to give me **** about hitting Apex API directly via the support ticket I opened before. That actively stopping fair use of their product really put a sour taste in my mouth, especially that puts no harm to them or their products. They can say all the things about how they want to build an open system and welcome anyone to come partner with them, but all I see is they try to build up the walled garden and actively protecting it to stay that way. If I were developing an gadget for my tank, I would not bother to support Apex systems.

I'm just glad that other control systems are coming out now, like Mobius and Coralvue Hydro, so the status quo of reef tank control equals to Apex could break soon. I'm really not looking forward to get an Apex again for my future builds either.

From just half an year interacting their product and service, they really didn't leave me good impressions as a company. Really the only thing good about the whole Apex system is the decent UI. Being able to update control config without connecting cable to the controller is a good improvement from what I used before (the reef angel controller). But the actual system is not really anything better. In fact, the programming is frustrating to use where not all functionality is exposed to the end users and some are right out lacking. For example there is no way to start feeding mode via breakout box. The closest thing is to implement the stop in each outlet directly, practically rendered the feeding mode function useless. Then there is the lack of AND function in the programming language, leaving users to work around it with the crazy virtual outlet, and their response to not having so is that they want to keep it simple, like virtual outlet is easier. Then it comes to Trident test schedule, I still don't buy it that more infrequent tests will lead to inaccurate results, because at the moment, the frequent tests are not resulting in accurate results either. How much of those claims are resulting from actual lab tests and how much are deriving from the intention of securing future reagent sale? Their abilities to debug Trident really don't give me much confidence on their capability on lab testing. Bringing up Terms of Service violation on fair use of their public API, while trying to picture themselves as an open tech company, is the last straw to really bring me to the negative side of impression. The reefing community is not tech literal enough to realize it, so not many will care enough. But I'm mentally prepared to leave this ecosystem behind in the near future.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized, the Trident config is accessible directly from Apex Fusion. Don't even need to bother with API access or whatnot. I have good feeling that Neptune will still give me **** about changing this config even though I'm using its own very Apex web app as requested from its own ToC. That would be very pathetic.

Screenshot_20200229-001722~2.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back